2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2017 12:40 AM by Mylenium

Removing effect in Illustrator affecting rotation of layers in Aftereffects?

largecats

Hey all!

So, here's the situation: I had a character layout in Illustrator CC (2017) that has a grain effect applied to it. Using Duik, I created a rig in aftereffects and all was smooth sailing from there.

After working for a while, I've decided to nix the grain in Illustrator and simply apply it in Aftereffects CC (2015). However, once I went back to Illustrator and removed the grain effect, I noticed that all of my layers for my rig in Aftereffects were completely jumbled up.

The rig pre-grain removal:

Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 10.31.04 AM.png

The rig post-grain removal:

Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 10.31.50 AM.png

(The mouth was added later in aftereffects and is parented to the head).

The rotation of... well, just about everything is effected by this.

Does anybody know if there is a way to keep this from happening in Aftereffects? Or if this is maybe an issue with Duik? I know that I could just go back and do a fresh re-rig of the character, or adjust the rotation of each body part as needed (though, admittedly, I'm not sure how to do this 100%, as Duik locks the rotation of layers that use IKs...), but I would like to prevent that if at all possible.

Thanks a bunch!

• 1. Re: Removing effect in Illustrator affecting rotation of layers in Aftereffects?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You may have had effects applied in AI that changed the boundaries of the layers. When you removed them the size and therefore the position changed in AE. This is completely normal and expected behavior if you imported your AI art as a composition retaining layer sizes.

I can't know for sure without knowing all of the details in your Illustrator file. You can check the size difference by selecting one of the AI layers in the Project Panel and making note of the image size, then remove the effect and check again. If you have any changes the problem is in AI not AE.

If I didn't guess right we need complete workflow details and screenshots of the layers giving you problems selected and all modified properties revealed.

• 2. Re: Removing effect in Illustrator affecting rotation of layers in Aftereffects?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What Rick said. AI adds invisible padding to layers with raster effects which can be controlled in the raster effect settings. In turn this affects any workflow that is sensitive to layer bounding box size.

Mylenium