Exit

New machine purchase...questions

New Here ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.

New here.

I have the option to buy some new machines for the future. I have always been a mac person but the operators want PC's. I have put these machines together and would like a crit on them please...not price. please consider the following. Some 3d in octane. lots of 2d work in after fx. Lots of keying working off green screen. we hardly do very long renders. mainly commercials! One machine will do some Maya work every other week....if even. I would say mainly for fast working in AE itself would be prio..the rendering second???? opinions?

option1

Intel Core i7-7700 (3.6GHz, 8M Cache, 8x Cores, 4.2GHz Turbo) 1 MSI Z270 A PRO DDR4 USB 3.1 Motherboard 
ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 Dual OC 8GB DDR5 PCI Express Graphics Card [Black] Bitfenix Comrade Gaming Case With Clear Side Panel

Antec High Current GAMER 850W 80+ Modular PSU 64GB DDR4 2400Mhz High Performance Gaming RAM Standard Heatsink & CPU Fan 
3 x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

option2

RYZEN Threadripper 1950X (40MB Cache, 32x Cores, 4.0GHz Turbo) 1 MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC DDR4 RYZEN Threadripper MB 
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING X Twin Frozr VI OVERCLOCKED Edition
8GB

NZXT H440 V2 BLACK & RED Mid Tower Silent Gaming Case Antec High Current Pro 1000W 80+ PLATINUM Fully Modular PSU [ DDR4 ] 64GB 2400MHz Quad Channel High Performance RAM Corsair H115i Extreme Performance Liquid Cooler 
3 x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD 
3 x 1TB (3TB) 7200RPM 64MB Cache HDD 

Option 3

ntel Core i9 7900X (4.5GHz, 25M Cache, 20x Cores) CPU 
MSI X299 GAMING PRO CARBON AC LGA 2066 DDR4 Motherboard MSI GeForce GTX 1080 OVERCLOCKED 8GB GDDR5X Card [BLACK RED] NZXT S340 Mid Tower USB3.0 Case 
Antec High Current GAMER 850W 80+ Modular PSU 
[ DDR4 ] 64GB 2400MHz Quad Channel High Performance RAM Corsair H60 High Performance Liquid Cooler 
500GB SSD Ultra-Fast Upto 500MB/s+ Speed Solid State Drive 
3 x 1TB (3TB) 7200RPM 64MB Cache HDD 

regards

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know your other software but for AE, CPU speed is king because it currently does not do multitasking.  Look at this great benchmarking study by Matt Bach at Puget systems​.

Surprisingly the i7 8700K with its 4.7 GHz is the best processor for AE Preview and Rendering unless you are using the multitasking 4D Cinema features.

For Premiere itself it does very good at multitasking so your high core count is very beneficial.   So you have to find out what you want for prime goal

My current design guide for any new machine is to have a standard SATA III SSD for your OS/Applications and then for the current project and media files get one of the newer super speed M.2 PCIe GEN 3 x4 SSD's like the Samsung 960 devices.  When the current project is finished then move it to hard disk drives. 

If you want to see some actual Premiere Pro test scores look at my Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) site

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If my calculations are correct an SSD is 3 to 4 times faster than an HHD and an ISSD (M.2) is 4 to 6 times faster than an SSD.

Is an ISSD so fast that there is no need to configure it in RAID?

I am interested in faster export of mp4 files.

For example if my current i7 6 core system takes 1 hour to export an mp4 file how long would would it take a Threadripper system with a ISSD to export the same file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. RAID for performance is no longer necessary.  If you have lots of archive and/or backup data RAID for reliability is logical.
  2. Where did ISSD come from?  I have never seen that before.
  3. M.2 is just a form factor and you will find SATA III 6 Gbits/sec. devices and PCIe Gen 3 x4 devices with 32 Gbits/second.
  4. If you want to  see export times of my H.264 timeline for various configurations look at my Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) and study the various combinations of GPU/CPU/Storage

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ISSD is Internal SSD

Samsung 960 EVO Series - 1TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6E1T0BW)

I think you said before that the 3rd drive would be a large external HDD.

I would go for a large internal HDD.

You would not have to plug anything in and you would have maximum transfer speed.

I love to have this new system but my 4 year old, 6 core, 8 x HDD (RAID) system works well except for the longer H.264 export times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

flbreen  wrote

I love to have this new system but my 4 year old, 6 core, 8 x HDD (RAID) system works well except for the longer H.264 export times.

If you already have that RAID and it is properly setup and performing correctly and some GPU acceleration then the only thing to improve your export times are a new faster CPU   If you really want to check that out download. unzip, and run my Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM)  and Submit the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Actually, any SSD that's meant to be mounted inside a PC's case, whether it's an m.2 NVMe SSD or a 2.5" SATA 6.0 Gbps SSD, is considered an internal SSD (as defined by the PC industry). In the strictest definition of "external" SSDs, that "external" designation only refers to those drives that are mounted inside a separate enclosure and connected to the PC with external cabling such as a USB 3.0 cable. You had assumed that any SSD that requires a cable to connect, even if the entirety of such a setup remains inside the main PC case, to be inappropriately termed an "external" SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines