4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2017 12:48 AM by Peter Grainge

What is in the .cpd file that can't be recreated when it's missing?

stephenm98165107

We have a process that actually creates a compile-able help project on the fly (based on parsing of source code). In the past it was only used to compile an HTML project with the Microsoft help compiler so it only created the .hhp, .hhk and .hhc files (along with all the content pages). We now want it to create all the files that RH would need so that we can use RH to compile various targets.

I've examined all the various project files and it seems pretty straightforward to create everything except the .cpd file (it's the only binary file). I've also found out that, at least on the surface, the .cpd file is not needed to open a project because it will get regenerated automatically if missing.

But I wonder what information might be stored in the .cpd that can't be regenerated by RH so I can see if anything would be fundamental to our use.

Can anyone tell me what operations might be done in RH, stored in the .cpd file and then missing if the .cpd file was erased and recreated automatically?

Best regards,

-SWM-