15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2017 1:27 AM by frankg15568879

Adobe Analytics and ITP

Gigazelle Adobe Employee

Hi everyone! There seems to be quite a bit of buzz surrounding webkit's ITP feature. We have authored the following KB article to help answer any questions you might have:

Adobe Analytics and ITP

If you have any follow-up questions, feel free to ask them here.

• 1. Re: Adobe Analytics and ITP
          mubarakd57262327 Level 3

Is it possible to identify/trend no. of unique visitors relying on fallback method(s). We're currently using Adobe's third-party cookie as we need to report on uniques across multiple domains and therefore helpful to measure any impact/change.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adobe Analytics and ITP
            Gigazelle Adobe Employee

If changing your implementation to use MCVID is not an option and you absolutely must stay with friendly 3rd party cookies, everyone who is using Safari is going to be your total impact.

Luckily one of the fallback methods is to use a 1st party cookie on the domain visited, so unique visitors per domain will still remain fairly accurate.

• 3. Re: Adobe Analytics and ITP
              mubarakd57262327 Level 3

We are using omtrdc.net which in theory should not have had an impact as these cookies were already being blocked.  However I've noted a sizable increase in Unique Visitors across all iOS devices.  Are you aware of this and why this would be the case.

• 4. Re: Adobe Analytics and ITP
                Gigazelle Adobe Employee

ITP is not necessarily directly correlated with iOS, but rather the safari browser. People browsing via Chrome on Mac won't be affected by ITP, while people browsing via Safari on Windows will.

Are you getting the same trend line by only including people browsing via Safari?

• 5. Re: Adobe Analytics and ITP
                  mubarakd57262327 Level 3

Yes, I'd based on a significant proportion of our audience using Safari being iOS users.

See below ...

Interestingly increase in Uniques only applies if Safari AND iOS, however more importantly (my previous point) it should have not impacted third party omtrdc.net cookie as it was already being blocked by safari

• 6. Re: Adobe Analytics and ITP
                    mubarakd57262327 Level 3

hmm .. only applies to entires to our homepage .. and no referrer

It's across all domains (ips) inc those assigned to larger service providers (ie unlikely to be bots).  Whilst it's also possible these may be new device purchases it does seem highly unlikely with uniques on mobile almost double

• 7. Re: Adobe Analytics and ITP
                      frankg15568879

Hello everyone,

since the iOS/safari 11 update we have a problem with rising unique visitors on mobile iOS as well. We cannot use first party cookies / MCVID either, since we have to track data from multiple domains. If I understand your "Adobe Analytics and ITP" article correctly, then this problem shouldn't occur at all, since the third party cookies should've already been blocked by safari before. We're using omtrdc.net, too. It sounds like a quite similar scenario as mubarakd5726232's.

The even bigger problem is, that these additional visits/sessions mess up our marketing channels data, since the "new" sessions are recognized as internal visits (HTTP-referrer comes from internal domain on session start).

Is there anything we can do to solve this problem?

• 8. Re: Adobe Analytics and ITP
                        mubarakd57262327 Level 3

Frank ?..

seems we're on our own ..

Can you please look to create something similar

segment detail for Bot Review : 1PV/Visit is ..

If you could then duplicate the report but have breakdown by day instead ...

You'll notice a significant proportion in the increase is from new uniques only looking at 1 pv/visit .. ie appears to be an issue with fallback

What I've seen is

1. the weekly uniques increase (with above segments applied) .. is almost 100% .. and with no increase in PVs/Visits

2. the average daily uniques have only increased by 20%

.. so it seems very likely a percentage of users are being seen as uniques on every visit and/or possibly on page view.

If our data is consistent that would confirm an issue at Adobe/Apple end.

• 9. Re: Adobe Analytics and ITP
                          frankg15568879 Level 1

Hello Mubarak?

I recreated the report on my end but it did not show the same result.

I get "new" Visits/Visitors which do have a referrer and also create more than only one page view each. The problem occurs when a user hops from one domain to the other in our case (can be identified via entry pages). This should be prevented by fallback methods (User Agent + IP) normally, but somehow this doesn't seem to work anymore for iOS 11 users.

Please take a look at the increasing share of Apple users starting in week Sep 25, 2017 running into the Internal URL Filter:

Do you see a similar problem with your internal URL filter maybe?

• 10. Re: Adobe Analytics and ITP
                            leeb5093241

Hi,

Samsung also recently introduced 'Tracking Blocker' feature in their new browser, powered by Disconnect. This pretty much sounds like Apple's ITP.

Some Analytics customers reportedly experienced tracking issues where it blocks analytics scripts from loading and as a result it's unable to collect behaviour data.

Are we aware of this as well as Apple's ITP? What would be the impact of this in analytics data?

Thank you in advance!

• 11. Re: Adobe Analytics and ITP
                              mubarakd57262327 Level 3

I've been looking into this further ... the table below shows a substantial increase in uniques and which relates to 'new visits' where visit count is 1.

I was then able to cross reference this with a logged in user ...

The above shows the user doing similar no. of PVs in Oct and Nov vs Sept BUT the uniques increase significantly.

The following shows 2 uniques, 2 visits and 7 PVs were recorded for the user between 10-11

Which then broken down by minute shows a new visit was recorded after the first page view

The above should not be happening as we're using adobe's third party cookie domain which should mean the fallback method is used where a first party cookie is dropped instead.

• 12. Re: Adobe Analytics and ITP
                                Gigazelle Adobe Employee

Thanks for the heads up Brandon! After reading the article, it looks like all of the following have to be met:

• The visitor is using a Samsung Android device
                                • They are browsing via the Samsung browser, and not Chrome
                                • They have explicitly enabled Tracking Blocker or have entered Secret Mode

I anticipate that it won't have as large an effect, since Samsung browser market share is significantly less than Safari. However, I will certainly bring it up with the team to make sure they're aware of it.

• 13. Re: Adobe Analytics and ITP
                                  mubarakd57262327 Level 3

Brandon thanks for highlighting, I was able to download on my non-samsung android device and verify ..

Tracking blocker not enabled by default, however when enabled it was blocking our Adobe Analytics request.

• 14. Re: Adobe Analytics and ITP
                                    leeb5093241 Level 1

Thank you for verifying.

Did you also find out what cookies do or don't get blocked?

• 15. Re: Adobe Analytics and ITP
                                      frankg15568879 Level 1

Hi everyone! Are there any new insights on this topic?