4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2008 7:55 AM by g-s-b

Viewstack vs. State

spacehog
      I am trying to figure out the best way to implement this. I want to have a help button on my application that when clicked brings up a translucent screen (on top of application ) with help info on it.

Initially it sounds like a state, but when I try to layout the 'Help' control panel on top the existing application Flex Builder3 shifts my charts and panels around (is there a way to make a z-index to allow that kind of stacking).

If I make it a viewstack how do I control it without using some type of nav (buuton bar, link bar,etc.)?
        • 1. Re: Viewstack vs. State
          Gregory Lafrance Level 6
          Use PopupManager to popup a TitleWindow that has a ViewStack in it.
          • 2. Re: Viewstack vs. State
            Level 7

"spacehog" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:g81q38$pe0$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >I am trying to figure out the best way to implement this. I want to have a
            > help button on my application that when clicked brings up a translucent
            > screen
            > (on top of application ) with help info on it.
            >
            > Initially it sounds like a state, but when I try to layout the 'Help'
            > control
            > panel on top the existing application Flex Builder3 shifts my charts and
            > panels
            > around (is there a way to make a z-index to allow that kind of stacking).

Put everything in a canvas.

> If I make it a viewstack how do I control it without using some type of
            > nav
            > (buuton bar, link bar,etc.)?

Just set the selectedIndex however seems appropriate.

• 3. Re: Viewstack vs. State
              Gregory Lafrance Level 6
              But that won't give him a window over the app. A popup TitleWindow will give this.
              • 4. Re: Viewstack vs. State
                g-s-b Level 1
                I agree. You need the popup manager.
                And a TitleWindow is the easiest way to go due to a wealth of examples.

But I suggest you use the module manager in conjunction with the popup manager and move the Help files to a separate .swf.