Craig did you ever resolve this? Or have you since removed or reapplied the update , or another since then, which my have fixed things?
This still remains as an issues for us. When we manually bounce the environment monitoring service starts fine. Only thing i have observed so far is when we startwebsphere using our automated job tool it always fails, it does not fail when we start from Appserver. Any thoughts?
Interesting to hear that the problem remains. I have still more thoughts for you.
So first,as I asked previously (in April), if you found the problem happening since that update 12, had you tried either removing it, or updating to a later update of CF11? Your problem may go away, especially if there was an error during the update. I realize you may not want to do that, so read on.
Second, you didn't say originally that this error was happening so sporadically for you. That's interesting to hear. It read more like the kind of thing that left your instance not running. So you can go for months without it happening (you first wrote here in Oct), right? we start from Appserver
And you are saying that the error happens ONLY when you start it with your "automated job tool", not when you "start from Appserver". That, too, is a potentially interesting clue. Does it also fail if the entire box is restarted?
Third, this is also your first mention that this is on Websphere. So what's the difference between the "automated job tool" and the "start from appserver". Is the former starting all of Websphere (which relates to my last question)? And is the latter starting just the CF instance/app/war/ear within it?
Perhaps the issue is that when you start Websphere, it tries to start the CF instance/app itself but before some needed/related/depended upon other app is loaded, or before some underlying aspects of Websphere have been completely loaded. That's just a guess..
Finally, if none of that is helpful and especially if you may be reluctant to remove update 12 or proceed forward to newer ones, one thing you could and should check is whether there may have been an error during the applying of that update 12. It happens often, and it's not unusual for an odd error like you're reporting to have such an error during update to be the root cause. I have a blog post on finding and dealing with such errors (which log, where in the log to look, as it's not obvious) as well as some proposed workarounds for common problems:
Let us know what you find or how it goes.