8 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2008 4:12 PM by cgpost

director cd-rom to web?

cgpost
      Hello,
      A client brought in an interactive cd-rom made with Director, wondering if
      it is possible to convert to run as a web based show.
      Thanks for the help
      cgpost
        • 1. Re: director cd-rom to web?
          Level 7
          > A client brought in an interactive cd-rom made with Director, wondering if
          > it is possible to convert to run as a web based show.

Do you have the source (unprotected) Director files?
          What xtras does the projector use?
          • 2. Re: director cd-rom to web?
            cgpost Level 1
            Thanks Sean,
            The cdrom is from 1998 (quicktime 2.12)
            I'm not a Director author but I imagine the unprotected Director
            files are the show before packaging onto the cdrom. I'll check with
            my client to see if they still have the pure director project. On the cdrom
            in the Xtras folder are listed Xtradraw16 and 32.
            Thanks again
            Cgpost
            • 3. Re: director cd-rom to web?
              UdoGre
              Hi cgpost,

Some xtras must be hidden in the executable (e.g. quicktime xtra). Please start the application once, and then check in your "docs and settings/user/locale settings/TEMP" folder for some folder called "aaaa" or the like. It should contain an additional xtras folder used in the movie.

HTH,

Udo
              • 4. Re: director cd-rom to web?
                Level 7
                > Some xtras must be hidden in the executable

Not necessarily. QT 2.1.2 is around the time of D5, and the projector
                architecture was significantly different then
                • 5. Re: director cd-rom to web?
                  cgpost Level 1
                  I have just received the open code cd from the client. I guess the next step is to update the show to current
                  Director 11. The old project has file dates from december 1998 but I dont know what version of Director was
                  used. Is there a tutorial on how to update projects, or is this even possible.
                  Thanks,
                  CGpost
                  • 6. Re: director cd-rom to web?
                    Level 7
                    You could try downloading the trial version of D11 and passing the files
                    through the Xtras -> Update Movies... dialog, making sure the Action is
                    'Update' and not 'Protect' or 'Convert to Shockwave Movie(s)'. If they
                    will update, then try playing them in the authoring environment. Whether
                    they will play is dependent on lots of things, like code (the
                    line-continuation character has changed), the original version (your
                    files might be D5) and xtras used (the options weren't great with D5,
                    which is probably a help in your situation).

If this doesn't work for you, I might be able to help as I have Windows
                    versions going back to D7 installed on a backup machine (and D5 & 6
                    kicking around somewhere)
                    • 7. Re: director cd-rom to web?
                      cgpost Level 1
                      Thanks Sean,
                      I'll try your suggestions this weekend,
                      Cgpost
                      • 8. Re: director cd-rom to web?
                        cgpost Level 1
                        Hi Sean,
                        I have not been able to update the files. If you are willing to take a look at the old project
                        I can send you a copy. You can contact me directly at cgray@cgpost.com to let me know
                        how much this would cost and where to send the cd-r. I can also let you know more about
                        the project.
                        Thanks!
                        Cgpost