Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Creating Unique Campaign IDs and Tracking Codes

Level 1

Hi there - what is the best way for creating campaign IDs and setting up Omniture tracking codes?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

From my observations, tracking codes are generated by the individual creating the campaign. Your organization can set guidelines to establish governance over the format of this tracking code.

From there, you can place the tracking code inside a query string of your choice. For example, http://example.com/?cid=my_tracking_code. You can use whatever query string you'd like, just make sure it's consistent.

Once the query string is in the URL, you can pass the query string into the Tracking Code variable (s.campaign). There are several utilities that allow you to easily integrate it.

Data Elements in DTM can capture query strings

Util.getQueryParam can capture query strings outside of DTM

Once data is collecting, you can view the tracking code dimension to see the performance of campaigns.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

From my observations, tracking codes are generated by the individual creating the campaign. Your organization can set guidelines to establish governance over the format of this tracking code.

From there, you can place the tracking code inside a query string of your choice. For example, http://example.com/?cid=my_tracking_code. You can use whatever query string you'd like, just make sure it's consistent.

Once the query string is in the URL, you can pass the query string into the Tracking Code variable (s.campaign). There are several utilities that allow you to easily integrate it.

Data Elements in DTM can capture query strings

Util.getQueryParam can capture query strings outside of DTM

Once data is collecting, you can view the tracking code dimension to see the performance of campaigns.