2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2017 8:33 AM by Rick Gerard

Protanopia Comic - All 2D or Cinema 4D ?

kartika8839101 Level 1

What technique is exactly used in making the new "Protanopia" comic. Did they used all the 2d elements or cinema 4d has also been used ? like its toon shading ?

It would be really helpful if somebody could tell me, i'm working on something like that.

• 1. Re: Protanopia Comic - All 2D or Cinema 4D ?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

If you care to provide a link so we can all have a look I'm sure people will have a much easier time attempting to answer your question.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Protanopia Comic - All 2D or Cinema 4D ?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There not much information on how the project was developed on the Andre Bergs Web Site. According to the App store, he was the defeloper.

The augmented reality comic was probably developed using Apple ARKit and mostly 2D art. It was probably more game engine work than 3D animation. Apple's ARKit is absolutely amazing. I'm even exploring the possibility of using it to develop a motion recorder that I can use to help me do my FVX supervisor work. The possibilities are amazing.

To recreate the effect in AE a lot of it could be done with 2D layers arranged on your stage and some subtle camera movement. Some of the examples, like the clowns scene from the teaser are probably cartoon shaded 3D models. There's a lot more images and videos on Andre's Facebook page. It's all kind of facinating.

Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 8.03.49 AM.png

I think you could get fairly close to many of the scenes I saw on the web with simple 2D layers carefully arranged on AE's 3D stage. You could even use expressions to tie them together and apply some inertia to the body parts of your characters and then parent them together to simulate riding in a boat or a car on a bumpy road. I think that wold be a lot less work than modeling everything in 3D, adding an armature and then applying kinetics and motion to the body parts. You couldn't do that in C4D lite anyway.

If you do not have the budget for a full version of C4D then Blender may be an option for doing the work in 3D. It is an incredibly powerful open source and therefore free 3D program that will run on anything. Their gallery page and movie page show incredible 3D work from realistic to cartoon.

The most efficient way to make a movie with the same look is probably a combination of both 2D and 3D layers with a few animated 3D models thrown in. The best tool for you to use to get the work done probably depends more on your experience level than the specific app. If I had a contract to produce something similar I would probably do about 80% of the animation in AE with nothing more than illustrator artwork as 3D layers. Almost all the 3D modeling and animation would be done in Blender because I have used it for a long time and I can model, texture and animate faster in Blender than I can in C4D.