Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fake sites claiming "Flash Player is outdated"

Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have been encountering fake pop-ups / pop-unders such as these:

[LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR]

That claim "Flash Player is outdated" and entice you to click on their download. I don't know what lurks behind this scam but I wish Adobe could smack them around on some premise like copyright violation in order to stop this. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 08, 2017 Oct 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for reporting the issue. I will forward it to the phishing team. Next time if you encounter any such issue you can directly report them by writing to phishing@adobe.com.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Modern browsers and operating systems make it very difficult to install malware without your permission.  With humans as the weak link in the chain, the path of least resistance is to trick you into installing malware on the attacker's behalf.

Always download installers from directly from the vendor or your operating system's app store, and never follow links from email or websites.  If in doubt, google for the software product and/or manufacturer's website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was reading a newspaper article online when I got a pop up window on Safari from this website:

[LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR]

It looked like it can from Apple saying that my flash player was out of date for my OS version.....and asked me to click on the install button.  Didn't do it.....instead, I reached out to Adobe, but they couldn't tell me if it was a phony website or not and they didn't seem to care that some entity was using them to invade my computer.

I contacted Apple and they verified that it wasn't a legitimate Apple website, nor was it a legitimate Adobe website, but a scam much like getting an email.

Disgusted at the poor concern that Adobe had about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 14, 2017 Oct 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like you, I always avoid clicking on unknown links.

Here is the official Adobe link, showing the most up to date release for Flash.

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/flash-player-releasenotes.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi lmrd ,

Oftentimes malicious links, are removed from the forums by moderators.  If you still have the link, please report it to Adobe at phishign@adobe.com.  The appropriate folks will follow-up on it.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maria:

first St thing I did was send an email to Adobe’s phishing email site with the malicious link... thanks for the reminder...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for doing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines