4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2006 11:11 AM by Newsgroup_User

More navigation questions

dberke
      I'm trying to create drop down navigation menus and keep running into road blocks - do I have to purchase an extension to get something that looks professional with submenu's? It seems like something I should be able to do in Studio 8 but I can't seem to find the right place or a tutorial on it. Any suggestions? My navigation bar is getting too cluttered and needs some submenus that can be hidden until you hover or click on them.

Donna Berke
      www.iip423.com
        • 1. Re: More navigation questions
          Level 7
          > I'm trying to create drop down navigation menus and keep running into road
          > blocks - do I have to purchase an extension to get something that looks
          > professional with submenu's?

The built in DW and FW menus suck. Don't use them.

Instead, if you must have fly-out navigation, choose one of these:

http://mnteractive.com/archive/hangover-fly-out-navigation-part-ii/

-Darrel

• 2. Re: More navigation questions
            Level 7
            Try
            www.projectseven.com

Excellent resource, commercial extensions & tutorials.

HTH James

www.chameleon-web.co.uk

"dberke" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:efu29t$e2j$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > I'm trying to create drop down navigation menus and keep running into road
            > blocks - do I have to purchase an extension to get something that looks
            > professional with submenu's? It seems like something I should be able to
            do in
            > Studio 8 but I can't seem to find the right place or a tutorial on it.
            Any
            > suggestions? My navigation bar is getting too cluttered and needs some
            > submenus that can be hidden until you hover or click on them.
            >
            > Donna Berke
            > www.iip423.com
            >

• 3. Re: More navigation questions
              MadMac01 Level 1
              But why build something with a tool you don't understand? That amounts to gouging the client for some whizz-bang widget that:

1. You will be the sole source for maintaining.
              2. Will break as soon as you change platforms, upgrade browsers, or look away from the screen.
              3. You do not understand well enough to troubleshoot when you want to customize it.

It is much wiser to stick to tricks you already know how to use: some fancy CSS and JavaScript will do pretty amazing things. Or Flash... At least then, you can justify your invoice, your name doesn't end up being a curseword further down the road, and you can meet the challenge of making something professional-looking with your own two hands.
              • 4. Re: More navigation questions
                Level 7
                > It is much wiser to stick to tricks you already know how to use: some
                > fancy
                > CSS and JavaScript will do pretty amazing things.

All of the decent fly-out menu systems are just that...CSS + Javascript.

> Or Flash... At least then,
                > you can justify your invoice, your name doesn't end up being a curseword
                > further down the road, and you can meet the challenge of making something
                > professional-looking with your own two hands.

A smart craftsman knows when to not reinvent the wheel ;o)

_Darrel