20 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2008 1:02 AM by Newsgroup_User

Distorted Text Element

djDaemon
      I'm using Director MX 2004 to create an interactive training manual, and I've run into an odd text distortion problem.

I've inserted some text (with Framing set to "Adjust to Fit", text wrap enabled) into the movie, and when I access it via a top-level menu button followed by a next-level button, the text appears "squished", as seen here. However, if I access this same spot in the movie (even without a stop-and-replay) via the same lower-level button, but not following the top-level button mentioned above, that same text element appears as it should, as seen here.

There is nothing special in the way of code attached to the text element in question. The buttons that are used to navigate are relatively simple, employing only rollover and navigational behavior. There is no extraneous "hold" navigational elements that would stop the movie in mid-render of that element or whatever (and, as I mentioned, nothing special attached to said text element).

Any ideas on what might be the problem?

Much thanks in advance!

Best regards,
      Brandon
        • 1. Re: Distorted Text Element
          Level 7
          It look like the lineheight of the member is incorrect in the squished
          version. Do you have any code that adjusts the lineheight? If so,
          either remove it or fix it.
          • 2. Re: Distorted Text Element
            djDaemon Level 1
            No, there is no special code at all attached to the text element. I simply created the text element, pasted text into it (as I have others without problem) and then placed it in the score at the appropriate point.

Here is a screenshot of the text element's properties.
            • 3. Re: Distorted Text Element
              Level 7
              In the Property Inspector, on the Text tab, change to List View Mode and
              set the FixedLineSpace to whatever it needs to be in order to look right.
              • 4. Re: Distorted Text Element
                djDaemon Level 1
                I tried that, and all that seems to do is adjust the spacing between lines of text, and has no effect on the overall size of the text element, which is what is being "squished" and causing the distorted display.

I've set that value to various numbers, ranging from 0-500, and nothing corrects it. You can see that it looks mostly identical with it set to 17, rather than 0 in this image.
                • 5. Re: Distorted Text Element
                  aldus Level 1
                  hm - you can also take a look for the "paragraph" settings of the member;
                  mark the text and then go to "modify->paragraph" and look for negative numbers f.ex.
                  at "before" and/or "after".
                  You can also try to take a look for the "html"-property of the textmember to
                  look for html-formattings that director can't handle via his ui.
                  Maybe also the "copy 'n paste" has refer to a font director can't handle ...
                  If it all not helps, copy the textmember into an empty project and place it somewhere to download, so
                  we can take a look at it closer?

Regards
                  Aldus
                  • 6. Re: Distorted Text Element
                    Level 7
                    You got me. Delete the member and recreate it. When you paste anything
                    into it, make sure you paste nonformatted text. The best way to do that
                    is to copy the formatted text (from Word or what have you), then paste
                    it into Notepad. Then copy/paste it from Notepad into Director. That
                    will strip out any stray formatting junk that can cause problems.
                    • 7. Distorted Text Element
                      djDaemon Level 1
                      Aldus -

Sadly, none of that helped.

You can download a blank movie with the text element in it here.

quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                      You got me. Delete the member and recreate it. When you paste anything
                      into it, make sure you paste nonformatted text. The best way to do that
                      is to copy the formatted text (from Word or what have you), then paste
                      it into Notepad. Then copy/paste it from Notepad into Director. That
                      will strip out any stray formatting junk that can cause problems.

Yeah, I've tried deleting and recreating it, as well as pasting it into Notepad before Director, and none of that helped.

The weirdest thing is that every other text element (so far) displays as it should, and this one does as well, but only when you don't access it via a certain sequence of button presses.
                      • 8. Re: Distorted Text Element
                        aldus Level 1
                        Hm - can't see any trouble exept a #mystic "Note:" inside
                        the Text/HTML - and i have not the font "Swis721 Lt BT" here on
                        my mashine (MacOs 10.5.3 - Dir2004).

[quote]
                        but only when you don't access it via a certain sequence of button presses.
                        [/quote]
                        ??? Witch one #pressed ... ???

Regards
                        Aldus
                        • 9. Re: Distorted Text Element
                          djDaemon Level 1
                          quote:

[quote]
                          but only when you don't access it via a certain sequence of button presses.
                          [/quote]
                          ??? Witch one #pressed ... ???

When I press "Safety Information" followed by "Safety Notice", the text is distorted.

However, if I then press another button, such as "Cautions & Warnings" and then press "Safety Notice", the text appears as it should.

• 10. Re: Distorted Text Element
                            aldus Level 1
                            [quote]

When I press "Safety Information" followed by "Safety Notice", the text is distorted.

[/quote]
                            ?? Looks to me -> any lingo scripts /behavios on the buttons, that
                            will format the textmember - or are you "switching" the textmember on the
                            stage? Maybe you will /have to restore the orginal rect of the sprite ...

sprite("where_ever").height = member("myText").rect.height

only an idea

Regards
                            Aldus
                            • 11. Re: Distorted Text Element
                              djDaemon Level 1
                              quote:

Originally posted by: aldus
                              quote:

?? Looks to me -> any lingo scripts /behavios on the buttons, that
                              will format the textmember - or are you "switching" the textmember on the
                              stage?

No, there are no actions taken on the text at all. The text is simply at a certain spot in the score, and the button press simply navigates to the appropriate marker.

Originally, I had thought it was perhaps a zoom/fade behavior attached to the text that wasn't completing before a frame hold was reached, but there are no such behaviors attached to the text element. And even if there were, there is an adequate number of frames between the marker (to which the button navigates) and the frame hold.

• 12. Re: Distorted Text Element
                                Level 7
                                djDaemon wrote:
                                > I'm using Director MX 2004 to create an interactive training manual,
                                > and I've run into an odd text distortion problem.

Have you tried deleting the member and re-creating it?

Andrew

• 13. Re: Distorted Text Element
                                  djDaemon Level 1
                                  quote:

Have you tried deleting the member and re-creating it?

Several times, yes.

• 14. Distorted Text Element
                                    aldus Level 1
                                    Hm - mystic one: can you out-bone the
                                    part of the project and place somewhere for a closer look?
                                    (My magic mirror is broken ...). I still believe it must be something simple
                                    like "puppetSprite" at the wrong place ...

Regards
                                    Aldus
                                    • 15. Re: Distorted Text Element
                                      djDaemon Level 1
                                      Sent you a PM, aldus.
                                      • 16. Re: Distorted Text Element
                                        fazstp Level 2
                                        Would you be setting the rect of the sprite at all in another handler prior to going to this frame? Maybe it's scaling somewhere in the offending menu routine and it's not clearing before displaying the text in the same sprite channel? What about something like;

on beginSprite me
                                        member_rect = sprite( me.spriteNum ).member.rect
                                        sprite( me.spriteNum ).width = member_rect.width
                                        sprite( me.spriteNum ).height = member_rect.height
                                        end

• 17. Re: Distorted Text Element
                                          aldus Level 1
                                          Ok - more or less solved.
                                          The problem belongs to the "zoom_in_out" behavior and
                                          the "auto-puppet" functionality witch comes up if you use
                                          to set the "quad" of the sprite. If the playhead goes
                                          one frame forward - the following sprite will be "corce" to
                                          the rect of the sprite one frame before.

The only workaround i found was to set the puppet-property to false
                                          at the begin of the "new"-member frame:

on beginSprite(me)
                                          sprite(me.spriteNum).puppet = false
                                          end

Regards
                                          Aldus
                                          • 18. Re: Distorted Text Element
                                            UdoGre Level 1
                                            Good Job, aldus.

However, you should not have to set the puppet property on beginsprite, but on endsprite of the "offending" sprite (or somewhere in the zoom_in_out behaviour), else you run in the same problem again later.
                                            Not sure if this helps here, but you can also try to set the undocumented sprite property stretch back to 0.

HTH,

Udo
                                            • 19. Re: Distorted Text Element
                                              aldus Level 1
                                              Thanks for the info, Udo.
                                              This makes def. more sense.
                                              As for the undocumented properties - are there any out there to
                                              restore the scriptEditor in Dir11? Something like

script("movieScript1").edit = #display_like_Dir_3

Regards
                                              Aldus
                                              • 20. Re: Distorted Text Element
                                                Level 7
                                                > script("movieScript1").edit = #display_like_Dir_3

:-)