Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CF2016 support for SQL 2017

Guide ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Will CF2016 be adding SQL 2017 to support matrix?

https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/coldfusion2016-support-matrix.pdf

Regards, Carl.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carl, you've been around long enough to know the answer, and that you would not likely get it here. Adobe rarely responds to questions here. And they rarely have support for a new DB or OS or web server version available within the first few to several months of its release.

So the answer would seem to be "yes, CF2016 will be adding SQL 2017 to support matrix", when support for SQL Server 2017 is added to CF.  But since it just came out just a couple of weeks ago, no, one should not expect it to officially supported for perhaps months. Does that mean one can't use it with CF2016? No, almost certainly one can. But you're asking for official support, and you should not expect that within weeks of its release. 🙂

If someone from Adobe may step in and prove me wrong on both points above, that would be great! And I'm not complaining about the state of things. Both just "are what they are", in my experience here.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here we are, almost a year later, and still no response on this (as I feared could happen). I have just double checked all the cf2016 updates (including 7, which came out this week)  and none mention 2017. Grr.

But again, I suspect some have used cf2016 with SQL 2017 with no problem as we also don't see any reports of issues.

I'll add erhese points as well. The issue is really whether the datadirect sql server jdbc driver (that cf bundles) supports it. If/when it does, Adobe would need to offer that as an update to cf. We can't just "go get ir" as its not free.

But one CAN go get the sql server jdb driver from Microsoft.  That IS free. Of course, changing drivers can cause issues of you had leveraged any specific features of the original driver, but most folks do not.

You can find steps for adding and using 3rd party jdbc drivers (via the "other" db type in the Cf admin dropdown in the dsn page). But see this classic blog post on the steps for cf10 (which still apply in cf 2018):

https://www.hass.de/content/coldfusion-10-how-configure-data-sources-microsoft-jdbc-driver-40-sql-se...

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - I have used SQL Server 2017 with CF11 and 2016 for some local development without any issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FYI SQL Server 2017 is listed as supported for CF2018: https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/coldfusion2018-support-matrix.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation