• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why colors of PNG looks different in the viewport and export window?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm a 3d designer, I have simple PNG files from the screenshot, I see colors are dimmed but when I export they look exactly as original.  I set it to RGB 16bit, but did not help.

please review the screenshot, on the left, there is viewport dimmed and on the right, there is the Export window which looks exactly as original png, not modified. Why?

2017-10-11 20_21_32.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshots may require to apply the monitor color profile to look correct. A captured viewport from a 3D program usually simply is not color managed.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2017 Oct 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Export window is not color managed by default - because the file it exports is not color managed by default. The original color profile is not embedded in the exported file.

You need to check "embed color profile" to get full color management, as well as "convert to sRGB".

3D applications are mostly not color managed at all. Traditionally this didn't cause too much trouble because monitors were close enough to sRGB that you wouldn't notice the difference.

But today, with wide gamut monitors becoming increasingly common, especially since Apple switched to DCI-P3 displays, it becomes much more obvious. Wide gamut displays require full color management at all times, no exceptions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thank you for the reply, I still did not get the clue.

Basically what I did:

1. I use Substance Painter to paint 3d models, as the end of it I want to show a wireframe of the model in my portfolio piece.

2. I use the greenshot software in Windows10 to take screenshots of my screen, I never had any single problem for 3 years.

3. I took a screenshot as PNG file, it opens okay in every preview app such as Windows Photos, or FastView or IrFan or anything like this.

4. When I open it in Photoshop, the colors do not look the same as any other app, why? In my mind, it is a png file. It's not 3d, it is just an image.

5. Okay Viewport colors are broken, when quick export to PNG - I see colors are back to normal again. There is only one checkbox: Convert to sRGB which is ON (checked) and Embed Color profile which is OFF when I check it ON, colors get broken again.

6. How to remove broken color profile? When I open PNG file that color profile breaking my image, it was never broken until that color profile has appeared.

Please how to delete a color profile from png or change it in photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assign your monitor profile to the screenshot, then convert to sRGB. This will display correctly in Photoshop.

Windows "Photos" is not color managed at all, so it will never match Photoshop. It is wrong and unreliable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did assign monitor profile to my image, it did not help much.

Currently, I see dimmed image in Photoshop, oversaturated image in the export window and two different results of the image in Chrome and Edge. I don't understand when I did something wrong. can you please guide me how to fix significant color offset just from one PNG file I can provide it to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why it so different in the browsers? I assume the result of photoshop correct activity actually breaks the colors inside one single .png file which I have uploaded to my website.

2017-10-12 15_46_46.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did assign monitor profile to my image, it did not help much.

You have to convert to sRGB as well, after assigning the monitor profile.

two different results of the image in Chrome and Edge.

Why it so different in the browsers?

Chrome is color managed, and Edge is not. (Chrome, Opera and Firefox are all color managed)

I suspect that you have a wide gamut monitor, in which case it absolutely necessary to only use color managed applications to view your work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Per+Berntsen  wrote

I suspect that you have a wide gamut monitor, in which case it absolutely necessary to only use color managed applications to view your work.

Amen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How to do it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines