5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2017 3:30 PM by Nancy OShea

    What happened to downloadable Dreamweaver CC 2017 User Guide?

    garincincy2 Level 1

      Does anyone know when Adobe is going to author user guides for their applications? All I can find is tutorials. Help PDFs used to be available, but it seems this is not available. I understand the issue of expensive printed manuals, so, what about PDFs?

        • 1. Re: What happened to downloadable Dreamweaver CC 2017 User Guide?
          pziecina Adobe Community Professional

          There has been much talk about the lack of comprehensive written user guides for ALL Adobe applications over the last few years. The current on-line version can be found at -

          https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/user-guide.html

           

          The problem with user guides, is just what does one include in them, should it be 'how to' or just a simple what feature does what. Adobe does produce a number of getting started articles and videos, but unless users know how to use html, css and javascript, (unfortunatly many do not) and understand the basics of web development, many questions from beginners go unanswered in those articles/videos, (as they should, it is not the job of Adobe or anyone on these forums to teach such subjects).

          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What happened to downloadable Dreamweaver CC 2017 User Guide?
            garincincy2 Level 1

            What's wrong with updating the last available comprehensive User Guide? I've seen quotes that "90%" of the information available on the last known PDF version is still valid. So a rewrite would only include the remaining 10% updated information. I've been a Adobe User since the late 80s, and I learned MUCH from the User Guides through the years. I'm sure others would appreciate a PDF of the current application. I was aware of the "help" guide before I clicked on the link you sent. I find it to be totally unsatisfactory. This falls far short of the information available on the older User Guides. I would personally be willing to purchase a hard copy of such a manual. Who else but the creators of the application could do this? Just saying.

            • 3. Re: What happened to downloadable Dreamweaver CC 2017 User Guide?
              Preran Adobe Employee

              From what I understand, downloadable versions of help documents were done away with because a vast majority of users that use Dreamweaver have access to the Internet. Also, it is quicker and simpler to create and update online documents as it is to create a downloadable version because of the various production and localization tasks involved.

               

              Having said that, I will share this post with the content team to see if they have any plans of reintroducing downloadable PDF files in the future.

               

              Thanks,

              Preran

              1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: What happened to downloadable Dreamweaver CC 2017 User Guide?
                Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

                It costs considerable  time & money to write and edit PDF user guides.  As soon as 1 user guide is completed for product version X,  a new product version Y rolls out.   And this happens multiple times per year for all of Adobe's products.  Plus, there's no profit in user guides.  So I'm not the least bit surprised by this move.  

                 

                IMO, the user-to-user forums are your best resource for current product information.   If the experts here don't know the answer, they can usually find out for you.

                 

                 

                Nancy

                1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: What happened to downloadable Dreamweaver CC 2017 User Guide?
                  Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

                  UPDATE:    Evidently what happened, there was a technological breakdown earlier this year in the PDF creation process which has now been fixed, but hiring people to manage the PDF creation has been challenging.   PDF User Guides will be brought back sometime after the new year.  No word yet on actual dates, however.   So hang tight and in the meantime, feel free to post questions in this user forum.

                   

                  Nancy

                  1 person found this helpful