Expand my Community achievements bar.

S&P with AEM for e-Commerce Category Pages

Level 1

I've observed multiple AEM e-commerce implementations styles involving Search & Promote and AEM.  I'm trying to understand the pluses and minuses of the two main implementation styles that I've observed.

1. Use S&P to power onsite search as well as every category and facet filtering of the categories.
    • Observations:
      • Generally 3rd party cart solutions are used
      • Client side DOM painting from parsed S&P responses
      • Ajax/S&P controls facet filtering (URLs do not change)
    • Thoughts/Concerns:
      • User experience:
        • Waiting for S&P response to be parsed to paint the DOM (slow connection speed and S&P response size have a significant impact) which results in some either delay of page load or blocking elements appearing over time
      • SEO:
        • Much of an e-commerce site's content on category pages are the products populated and again depending on the response size affects if the products are seen by bots
  2. Use S&P to power only onsite search while a separate e-commerce platform powers all the category and filtered category pages.
    • Observations:
      • Generally e-commerce platform that powers category also integrates with the cart
      • Server side parsing before the DOM is painted
      • Every filter has a new URL (new page load per filter)
    • Thoughts/Concerns
      • Requirement of an e-commerce platform (e.g. Magento, Hybris, Oracle) adds additional cost and management
      • User experience:
        • Not as seamless because a new page load is required for each filter URL
      • SEO:
        • Improved SEO value as pagination and filtering all have distinct URLs

So what is the best way to launch an e-commerce AEM site with S&P for optimal UX and SEO?  Why?  Is there a way to use S&P with server side parsing and full page caching (e.g. Akamai)?

Thanks!

Chris

0 Replies