11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2009 12:47 PM by quality11

Changing background of image

quality11 Level 1
      How can I change the attached image with blue background to the attached image with white background in FW? Is there a way to do that? It's an image -- not a font in a text box -- so can't just change canvas color.

Actually, I don't see where I can attach an image; just code. Well....maybe I described well enough. How can I change an image with the word, "about" with blue background, to same with white background?

Thanks much in advance!
        • 1. Re: Changing background of image
          pixlor Level 4
          If the text is anti-aliased against the blue background, it's going to be tricky..

You might try using the magic wand to select the blue background and delete it. As you get close to the text, you'll need to be more and more precise and careful with the selections. Try the lasso selection tool.

Then, once you have the blue removed, you can change the canvas color to whatever you like.

• 2. Re: Changing background of image
            Level 7
            Why not recreate the graphic by typing the word against a white background?

--
            Linda Rathgeber - Adobe Community Expert
            http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/8.html
            --------------------------------------------------------------
            • 3. Changing background of image
              quality11 Level 1
              Hey Linda,

Let me explain this "project".....first, I realized the background is not white. It's actually: #B0BFC8. Woops! Second, I don't have the font and it's not free to download.

Someone transferred a similar header from same design for me. Looks like they cut out the word and then changed background to transparent. Here's the word "listen" with transparent background they did: http://www.charlotteswebservices.com/images/listen.png. Here's the original design they took it from: http://www.charlotteswebservices.com/images/1_home_newest.jpg. Looks like they didn't start from scratch using the font b/c I have the original cut "listen" with blue and with transparent in my files from them. So, can I do the same for about: http://www.charlotteswebservices.com/images/about.png (change bg to transparent)? Here's the original I took About from: http://www.charlotteswebservices.com/images/2_about_newest.jpg

I also have the original layered PSD.

Thanks so much, Linda. Sorry this is so long!

• 4. Re: Changing background of image
                Level 7
                quality11 wrote:
                > Hey Linda,
                >
                > Let me explain this "project".....first, I realized the background is not
                > white. It's actually: #B0BFC8. Woops! Second, I don't have the font and it's
                > not free to download.

Do you know the name of the font?

--
                Linda Rathgeber - Adobe Community Expert
                http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/8.html
                --------------------------------------------------------------
                • 5. Re: Changing background of image
                  pixlor Level 4
                  quote:

Originally posted by: quality11
                  Let me explain this "project".....first, I realized the background is not white. It's actually: #B0BFC8. Woops! Second, I don't have the font and it's not free to download.

Ack!!!

Buy the font. Your time is worth money. You will save a lot of time and be SO much happier having the font and the flexibility of using it as a vector object!

If you don't know the name of the font, try
                  WhatTheFont at MyFonts.com

• 6. Re: Changing background of image
                    Stowball Level 1
                    You can actually do it quite easily, with any font and bg colour. Here's the about text in blue on a yellow background as an example: http://www.mattstow.com/tutorials/recolour.fw.png

If you open it in FW, you'll see the I achieved it by:

1. Desaturating the image
                    2. Adjusting the levels to bring the black and white inputs in.
                    3. Converting to alpha (makes the white totally transparent and greys semi-transparent)
                    4. Colour filling
                    5. Changing the canvas colour

I hope that helps.

Matt
                    • 7. Changing background of image
                      quality11 Level 1
                      Thank you for your suggestions. Linda found the font for free for me (after I looked for over a half hour)! You're right Pixlar, it is worth purchasing (but it's always out there for free :-).

Matt, very cool. Only thing is that I have version 8. I opened the Hue/Saturation: the options are Hue, Saturation and Lightness. I moved the Saturation pointer all the way to the lowest negative number (-100). Bg turned gray. Tried Hue but doesn't do anything after adjusting the Saturation. Lightness makes the whole thing black or white (at extremes). I don't understand what to do from there or what the rest of the steps mean:

2. Adjusting the levels to bring the black and white inputs in.
                      3. Converting to alpha (makes the white totally transparent and greys semi-transparent)
                      4. Colour filling
                      5. Changing the canvas colour.
                      • 8. Re: Changing background of image
                        Stowball Level 1
                        If you open the file I provided in FW, you can turn off the Live Filters one-by-one to see what they do.

I'll try and explain the steps in more detail though.

1. Desaturate by applying a (Adjust Color >) Hue/Saturation filter, with a saturation of -100. This will reduce the image's colours to shades of grey.

2. Apply a (Adjust Color >) Levels live filter. With levels you can accurately adjust the contrast, and effectively change the colour that black and white should be. The left slider is shadows and the right is highlights. So, by bringing the right slider in, we can make the light grey background white, and vice-versa for the left slider. I use the Info Panel's eye dropper to assist me in making sure the resulting colour is correct.

3. Apply a (Other >) Convert to Alpha. This makes any whites totally transparent, and any shades of grey partially transparent. It provides a clean method of "knocking out".

4. Apply a (Adjust Color >) Color Fill to fill the black parts of the image with a new colour.

5. Change the Canvas colour to a different colour so you can how the transparency has worked.

HTH
                        • 9. Re: Changing background of image
                          quality11 Level 1
                          Gosh, Matt, I feel so stupid. I see the filters in the Properties box listed, but I don't know how to turn them off. Remember, I have version 8. Maybe that's why. I opened the first; Hue/Saturation and they were all set with the defaults "0" for Hue, Lrightness and Saturation.
                          • 10. Re: Changing background of image
                            Stowball Level 1
                            We all have to start somewhere.

Turning filters off is easy. Just click the Tick beside the filter name, which changes it to a cross to show that it's disabled. Clicking it again will re-enable it.

You can also remove them completely by selecting a filter, and clicking the minus button above.

Also, in this particular case the order in which the filters are very important, but can you also drag them up and down to re-order.

Matt
                            • 11. Re: Changing background of image
                              quality11 Level 1
                              Matt,

Thank you so much for explaining this. So sorry for taking so long to get back. I was tied up with a project.

I was able to open your filters to see what you did. Boy, would you call this advanced? I didn't even know some of these things existed and have no idea what some of them do even after reading your explanation and trying it. I wouldn't know what steps to take to do something similar b/c I'm not sure what I'm doing or what needs to be done. It seems like you have schooling in design or color or....

Anyhow, I was able to recreate everything except for:

4. Apply a (Adjust Color >) Color Fill to fill the black parts of the image with a new colour.

I didn't have this option (Adjust Color >) Color Fill) in my version (8). So, I used the paint bucket tool and it started outlining the letter somewhat, but then it just filled in the whole canvas. Not sure if that was wrong tool or I didn't do it correctly.

Other thing....how do I get the layers to show up in the Property Inspector like yours do?

Thanks so much again, Matt. You're so helpful.