7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2017 3:00 PM by kglad

A button's "down" and "hit" state includes changes to other buttons

ks67641067

Hi there -

I thought I remembered a simple way to cause one button to change other buttons' down and hit states - but I can't seem to make it work easily. I have a series of buttons on the stage: button A, B, C, D, and so on. I want to, effectively, link multiple buttons. So if I hit Button A, I want Buttons C, D, and Q to change their states to their hit states. If I roll over button A, I want those buttons to change to their rollover states.

Is there a simple way to get that done?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

• 1. Re: A button's "down" and "hit" state includes changes to other buttons
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

simple buttons have upState,downState and overState properties you can use to change a button's display.

• 2. Re: A button's "down" and "hit" state includes changes to other buttons
            ks67641067 Level 1

Thank you! Yes, I understand how to make one button look different in up, down and over states. But my question is how I can make one button make another button's state change as well as its own.

• 3. Re: A button's "down" and "hit" state includes changes to other buttons

again, use those button states.  eg,

var buttonA:Array=[you buttons];

var buttonStateA:Array=[];

for(var i:int=0i<buttonA.length;i++){

buttonStateA.push([buttonA[i].upState,buttonA[i].overState,buttonA[i].downState]);  // maintains a record of states of all buttons

buttonA[i].addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_OVER,ovefF);

}

function overF(e:MouseEvent):void{

for(var i:int=0;i<buttonA.length,i++){

if(i!=buttonA.indexOf(e.currentTarget)){

buttonA[i].upState = buttonA[i].overState;  // if that's what you want

}

}

}

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: A button's "down" and "hit" state includes changes to other buttons
                ks67641067 Level 1

Ohhh - I misunderstood; thank you.

I'm pathetic with scripting. Let's say I have two buttons - one is called NameButton, and the other is called NameText. I want an action (hover, click, hit) to be mirrored between the two. If I hover over NameButton, I want NameText to show its hover state too, and vice versa. If I hit NameText, I want NameButton to act as if it were hit as well. I know I've butchered yourcode to an embarrassing degree - would you be willing to show me the correct syntax for that intended experience?

var buttonName: Array = Name Buttons;

var buttonStateNameButton: Array = [NameButton, NameText];

for (var i: int = 0i < NameButton.length; i++) {

buttonStateNameButton.push([NameButton[i].upState, NameButton[i].overState, NameButton[i].downState]); // maintains a record of states of all buttons

buttonStateNameText.push([NameText[i].upState, NameText[i].overState, NameText[i].downState]

NameButton[i].addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_OVER, ovefF);

NameText[i].addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_OVER, ovefF);

}

function overF(e: MouseEvent): void {

for (var i: int = 0; i < Name Button.length, i++) {

if (i != NameButton.indexOf(e.currentTarget)) {

NameButton[i].overState = NameText[i].overState; // if that's what you want

NameText[i].overState = NameText[i].overState; // if that's what you want

}

}

}

• 5. Re: A button's "down" and "hit" state includes changes to other buttons

var buttonA:Array=[namgeButton,nameText];

var buttonStateA:Array=[];

for(var i:int=0i<buttonA.length;i++){

buttonStateA.push([buttonA[i].upState,buttonA[i].overState,buttonA[i].downState]);  // maintains a record of states of all buttons

buttonA[i].addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_OVER,ovefF);

buttonA[i].addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_OUT,outF);

}

function overF(e:MouseEvent):void{

if(i!=buttonA.indexOf(e.currentTarget)){

buttonA[i].upState = buttonStateA[i][1];  // if that's what you want

}

}

}

function outF(e:MouseEvent):void{

buttonA[i].upState = buttonStateA[i][0];  // if that's what you want

}

}

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: A button's "down" and "hit" state includes changes to other buttons
                    ks67641067 Level 1

Thank you! I will give that a shot.