4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2008 1:56 PM by jeremiahtrue

Controlling a movie clip in a different scene

jeremiahtrue Level 1
      Hi Everyone,
      I have a website that is all one flash movie separated into several scenes. Is there a way that I can have the sound On/Off button in one scene control the state of the other buttons throughout the site? It is annoying right now because once the button is pressed, it changes from on to off and then, when you go to another section, it is showing "on" but no sound is playing.

I tried to set up a "If then" argument based on sound volume, which is how the button works.
      The relevant code is attached.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
      Jeremiah

• 1. Re: Controlling a movie clip in a different scene
          robin1232
          I would just suggest not (EVER!) to use scenes, just make markers and (...)but not scenes cuz they're very hard to control, you might have alot of frames then but the scripting would be alot easier
          • 2. Re: Controlling a movie clip in a different scene
            clbeech Level 3
            robin1232 is correct, scenes and programming do not go together very well - this is because at compile the document is reduced to a single timeline which will affect any coding placed there and often have unexpected results. as for 'markers' - yes but let's use the term 'frame labels' and often are placed on a single layer of there own. The benefit of using labels is that you can navigate to a point in the timeline by the label name string, and if during development you wish to change the structure, you will not ahve to go back through all of you code based on frame 'numbers' and change them.

but to you problem - when are you attempting to execute this conditional statement? because if it is located on the first frame of the first scene in the main timeline, it will only execute once and from that point on never be called again. so you either need to place it within a method and call it regularly whenever the scene changes, or better yet change the structure of your document.
            • 3. Re: Controlling a movie clip in a different scene
              jeremiahtrue Level 1
              Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. I can consolidate it down to one timeline with labels, something I usually do. This project started out differently which i why i worked with scenes.
              • 4. Controlling a movie clip in a different scene
                jeremiahtrue Level 1
                Hi Again,
                I consolidated the whole thing into one timeline and I still can't get the mute button to change in different sections based on what was done to it before.

I am still trying the code in my original post and it isn't doing anything.

Thanks,
                Jeremiah

** Edit, I'm going to change the way that the button is on the stage so that there is only one instance and it's placement will be controlled by AS using a tweener. Sorry for asking the above question.