Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shadow effect in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello patient and talented people,

I'm very, very, very new to illustrator.  Currently I'm trying to create a simple graphic which will eventually be printed/cut-out on vinyl, and then used as a stencil for painting text on a wall.

I've given an example of the effect I'm trying to create. Basically I want to create text with the negative space of the wall I'm painting on (as you can see in the first image...with the large greyish text).

Two questions:

1) How do I extend the long shadow to go from the 'E' of TIME and the very edge of the 'E' in SPACE? Do I need to turn "SPACE" into an object? I'm still pretty rusty at manipulating any paths or anchor points.

2) How do I create the shadow effect that's in between the large grey letters in the example below? I suppose it would look similar to the last line of text that says "big words" (backwards...sorry...figured it was best to show both images moving in the same direction etc).

Will check in the morning. Brain fried trying to figure this out. Will check in morning. Thank you.

Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 7.42.10 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-10-16 at 7.40.08 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

you could still make a stencil in illustrator if you want. what i meant was, use the pen tool in illustrator to draw the shadow.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a tutorial to help you achieve that effect:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gcdyiIQu4GY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JonathanArias  schrieb

Here is a tutorial to help you achieve that effect:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gcdyiIQu4GY

No, it won't. Because with a blend effect you can't make a stencil (too many points in between)

In order to get a clean shape you need to do it like this:

Vektorgarten - Long Shadows with Illustrator

THere's also a plugin available: opo. But I haven't seen it in a long time. So don't know if it is still there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. The Vektogarten link helps. I'm still getting a bit lost with refining the 3D shape so it lines up with the word "SPACE". How do I alter the shapes between the letters? Also, how do I clean up the shadow so it's one long, clean line?

Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 5.58.33 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if all you want to do is literally recreate that time/space image, you're better off just drawing it. it would take a matter of minutes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Doug. I agree. Another artist had suggested it would be easier to create a stencil...but I'm more of a hands-on kind of person. I've spend so many hours trying to figure out illustrator...when I could have just freehanded it onto the wall. Should have gone with my gut...hahaha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you could still make a stencil in illustrator if you want. what i meant was, use the pen tool in illustrator to draw the shadow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i like that way too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. I think I finally figured out how to use the pen tool properly. Makes sense now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines