• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recording USB Interface & Stereomix with ASIO4ALL?

Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, thanks in advance for your patience and concern.

I'm not the most talented audio geek so bear with me please. My setup is Adobe Audition CC, a Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB Interface and the infamous ASIO4ALL on Windows 7 64bit.

I am trying to record, as the title suggests, microphone input via my interface while simultaneously recording a skype call via the stereo mix. Usually Windows only allows one audio device to be selected at a time.

Now I remember, from a couple of years back, when I was still using Cubase 4 LE that with ASIO4ALL there were work around for this issue. Hence I installed the driver again to split the input for the different audio track among devices as I used to. When I select ASIO4ALL in Audition I get nonsensical input channels to select however (at least I can't make sense of them). I added a screen capture below as well as the settings for the ASIO4ALL.2.JPG

If I remember correctly I was able to select the stereo-mix and mic input separately at that point in Cubase. How do I do the trick in Audition to be able to make this virtual setup work? I would be very appreciative of a reply. Thanks!1.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should possibly be looking in each individual Track's Input selection in the Multitrack view. There hopefully you may be able to see all the possible inputs available in Audition. You need to select a Mono source for each track and the appropriate input from the list that appears.

In your picture you may also be able to see them if you click on the right arrow head icons. A dropdown menu should appear with all the available recording inputs to select from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks for the answer. Sadly I can't select anything but those weird nonsensical inputs in the multitrack view when I have set the ASIO4ALL drivers in the Hardware Setup.

Weirdly enough I tested this setup in Open Broadcast Studio and that program is able to select both drivers Stereomix and the Focusrite without any issues at all, so it can't be a Windows Limitation and should work with regular ASIO or MME environment as well right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So on the Default Stereo Input part of the screen how many other options do you get when you click on the right pointing arrow head icon? Are there any more apart from the fniusbwave_48 1 and 2? Anything that is not actually ASIO does have Windows limitations, even ASIO4All, which just acts as a translator from the normal Windows drivers into ASIO like streams.

So without using ASIO4All you can select in Audition's Audio Hardware set up window either the Realtek MME drivers or the Focusrite ASIO ones separately?

Life is so much easier with a USB audio interface that provides internal digital routing/mixing like the old M-Audio 2496 that I used to use or my present ESI U24 or Motu Microbook. They all come with built in routing.

Another alternative is to use a Virtual Audio Cable app to do the routing for you.

https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thank you for the reply!

When I check the available stereo input devices there are fniusbwave_48 1 / 3 / 5 / 7 so four in total.

Under device class in the Audio Hardware preferences I can select the following: ASIO / MME / WASAPI

When I select ASIO I can use the device ASIO4ALL / Focusrite. Under MME I can select either Focusrite or Stereomix (I would want both as in OBS or Cubase and use these for the different track inputs in stereo) and WASAPI gives me Realteck DH Audio, Nvidia and Focusrite.

I know that there are hardware options to fix this, but honestly I think there has to be a software solution that is free of cost to this issue. As I mentioned before there was for Cubase and there is for Open Broadcast Studio and the latter one is free software where I intuitively had to click twice to get it to work. I would be surprised if there isn't a simple solution to this issue in Audition as well which I just can't see right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it should be the same for Audition using ASIO4All. How many inputs and outputs does the Focusrite actually have? What do you see if you expand the Focusrite tree in the ASIO4All setup page (+ icon)? Like you I don't understand what the 'fniusbwave-48' labels mean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It only has one output and 2 inputs actually.

But I guess they are treated as only one input and output by ASIO4ALL.Unbenannt.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines