• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I need help with weird Layers issue. Might be a bug??

Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, I am having weird issues with my layers in both CS6 and CC 2015. Whenever I make a change to one layer (adding a filter, inverting the image, anything) that is the layer that photoshop will continue to display. If I select another layer, the layer I just changed will continue to display. It is like photoshop freezes and is unresponsive to the selecting of other layers. I found this problem weird and just happened recently. I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue. I am running mac sierra 10.12.6. MacBook pro (retina, 13-inch, mid 2014). 2.6 GHz intel core i5. PLEASE anyone with a possible solution to this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Hi

Your screenshot looks normal.

Both layers are opaque - so with blending mode set as normal and opacity 100%  only the top layer will be visible. Imagine looking down through the stack - the only way you will see a layer below is if you introduce transparency on the upper layer (either on the layer itself or via a mask)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show a couple of screenshots demonstrating the issue and including both your image and layers panel

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the reply. Here are some of the screenshots. Here as you can see I inverted the background layer and I could not display it on the screen. However when I inverted the layer 1 photoshop displayed it. I then selected the background layer but photoshop was still "stuck" on layer 1. If I add more layers, photoshop will still be stuck on layer 1.Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 4.39.42 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-10-17 at 4.44.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-10-17 at 4.40.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-10-17 at 4.40.20 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Your screenshot looks normal.

Both layers are opaque - so with blending mode set as normal and opacity 100%  only the top layer will be visible. Imagine looking down through the stack - the only way you will see a layer below is if you introduce transparency on the upper layer (either on the layer itself or via a mask)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have added - you can temporarily switch off the visibility of the upper layer by using the eye symbol in the layers panel

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies. I 100% understand what you are saying. I see where I was confused. For some reason I used to think when you select a layer photoshop will display that layer. Thanks for the clarification!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

No problem. Selecting the layer means that is the layer you will act on (e.g. brush onto/ move etc)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines