1 2 3 Previous Next 110 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2018 11:40 PM by sanyamt Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
      • 40. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
        beZartan Level 1

Same here, back to 2017 i go.

InDesign loads, i can make a new document, but every time it seems i only have 10-15 seconds before it quits unexpectedly.

• 41. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
          Room 237

I have the same problem. InDesign opens and then immediately crashes.

I have tried the following with zero success.

Removed Caches

Removed/Reset Preferences

Removed SavedData

Removed Recovery folder items

Uninstalled/reinstalled

Cleaned Font Caches

Adobe Cleaner app used to completely remove every Adobe file off the computer

Restarted in Safe Mode

Asked my cat to give me some luck

Still crashes.

Would love this to be solved!

• 42. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
            Abhinav Kaushik Adobe Employee

Hello All,

Thanks for your feedback.

In this thread, I can see three types of crash reports.

Two of them have been reported as crash on launch. I have received crash reports from some of you through email as well. We will be looking into it and start investigating straight away.

However, the discussion here does suggest that the issue revolves around font management. One of you has even confirmed that upgrading Suitecase fixes the crash on launch.

Please confirm, if the crash on launch gets fixed by upgrading suitecase fusion?  Are these crashes on launch happening for Suitecase users only? If not, please respond on the thread.

Also, let us know, if you are facing crash on launch but do not use any font management software.

This information will help us to get to the root cause of the problem.

The third type of crash is not the crash on launch and talks about crash while using eyedropper tool. We are aware of this and investigating it.

Regards,

Abhinav

• 43. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
              romanobstuder Level 1

I am not using any font management software.

Same on iMac and Mac Pro Laptop.

• 44. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                tsmimesis

Hi

I am not using Suitcase Fusion or other font management software.

• 45. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                  wolfze Level 1

I am not using suitcase. (Windows)

I can work with the new id if I reduce the number of fonts. If I install more fonts (e.g. a Google package with 2k+ fonts) id crashes on startup again.

• 46. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                    The Patina Level 1

To confirm my scenario.

Initially, late 2014 retina iMac, running Mac OS 10.12.6 also running Suitcase Fusion 7 (as Suitcase 8 was not available on InDesign 2018 launch day)

Upgraded to InDesign 2018: immediate crash after app splash screen. Experienced 6 similar crashes, checked to see if any updates were available for Suitcase Fusion - just in case that might be a factor - none were available. So Uninstalled ID2018 and rolled back to ID2017.

Yesterday, noted via this thread that Suitcase Fusion 8 was now available. Upgraded to that, reinstalled ID 2018. Checked that Suitcase Fusion 8's font management extension plug-in for ID 2018 was installed. Launched ID 2018. Immediate crash at app slash screen. 4 similar crashes. Uninstalled ID 2018, rolled back to ID 2017.

My view: I don't 'think' that Suitcase Fusion - of either version 7 or 8 - is a factor. I'm assuming it isn't, as version 7 did not have a font management extension plug-in for ID 2018 and - therefore - would not be attempting to auto-activate any fonts. ID 2018 crashed anyway.

Suitcase Fusion version 8 is supposed to be compatible with both ID 2017 & 2018 - according to the Extensis website. It is definitely compatible with ID 2017, as that continues to launch and work as expected. ID 2018 simply always crashes at startup.

Like other users: I have a tonne of work to do, so my ability to repeat test configurations is limited.

As a sidenote: I have upgraded to Photoshop, Bridge and Illustrator 2018, and those all seem to launch and work without issue.

Hope that helps.

VBW

M

• 47. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                      Room 237 Level 1

I am using RightFont. But even with it off, I get the same crash. I don't think RightFont uses a plugin either that could be intefereing with InDesign.

• 48. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                        [Ravi Kiran] Adobe Employee

Please make sure to submit any Crash Reports to us and while doing so do fill the 'tell us more' section and enter your email address as well so that we could contact you for any additional information that may be required to isolate the issue(s).

• 49. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                          beZartan Level 1

submit a crash report? are you serious? there are literally 40+ posts here saying there is something wrong and all we get is a PR person to do crowd control? haha adobe is going downhill quick. (okay let me spell it out for ya, if you need a crash report clearly you dont know what you're doing).

• 50. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The crash report provides information about what is going on in InDesign when a crash occurs. It greatly accelerates the investigation process.

The great majority of us are NOT having the problem you are so it has to be investigated. You're showing your ignorance of the way software works in the real world.

• 51. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                              RepulseMonkey Level 1

Hi, for my own part, upgrading to to Extensis SC V8, solved the problem of missing seeing Font Management plugins appear in ID, Illustrator and P'shop.  Hope that helps..

• 52. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                                stephensp53167240 Level 1

I am a FontExplorer user. The only way to get 2018 to open is to deactivate all fonts that do not come with the program. It has to do with fonts but I don't think it has to do with font programs.

• 53. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                                  danbihn

What finally worked for me was to uninstall iD-2018 having it remove preferences. Then reinstalling it without it importing the old 2017 preferences. Seems to be working fine now.

• 54. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                                    guyvanbael Level 1

tried this too, but no luck.

• 55. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                                      tsmimesis Level 1

I know I should, but I am working on a strict deadline, and I have no time for trying ID CC 2018 again in the middle of my workflow. I had to re-install the 2017 version clean, and that works for me now.

Since I don’t use a font management system, I am unable to comment on those. Also, reducing the number of fonts to make 2018 workable, would really not solve my problem, as I need the fonts. I expect the new version to work with the same font selection installed as the 2017 version. After my deadline, I will try installing 2018 again and see if I can submit a crash report. In fact, I only saw the Mac OS X system crash report, not the Adobe CC report (I did send the report to Apple).

Regards.

Toralf

https://forums.adobe.com/people/%5BRavi+Kiran%5D  wrote

Please make sure to submit any Crash Reports to us and while doing so do fill the 'tell us more' section and enter your email address as well so that we could contact you for any additional information that may be required to isolate the issue(s).

• 56. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                                        iandack Level 1

I've tried everything on here and have even completely removed Suitcase (latest version) but InDesign and Muse CC 2018 still crash instantly on startup.

• 57. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                                          The Patina Level 1

For any Adobe staff monitoring this thread: is this now officially identified as an actual bug and - if so - is there any progress on an update or patch?

I ask as, like many others, I'm keen to use the new version, but am too busy on production work to install ID 2018 again until I know there's good reason to try.

PS: My other updated CC 2018 apps all seem to be playing ball nicely :-)

VBW

M

• 58. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                                            stephensp53167240 Level 1

My issue as well. I do not see the Adobe report but sent it to Apple.

I too had to reinstall 17 until they figure this out.

• 59. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                                              simonelberts

AdobeCrashReporter seems to be corrupt on multiple machines after installation:

/Applications/Adobe\ InDesign\ CC\ 2018/Adobe\ InDesign\ CC\ 2018.app/Contents/Frameworks/AdobeCrashReporter.framework/Versions/Current/AdobeCrashRepo rter

Replacing it with the same file from v 2017 fixes the problem for us:

/Applications/Adobe\ InDesign\ CC\ 2017/Adobe\ InDesign\ CC\ 2017.app/Contents/Frameworks/AdobeCrashReporter.framework/Versions/Current/AdobeCrashRepo rter

• 60. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                                                Håvard Graudo Level 1

InDesign 2018 crashes on startup. I do not see Adobe Crash reporter – only Send to Apple.

It has to do with fonts. I do not want to spend time on this, rather wait until Christmas or so to make sure things are cleaned up. Going back to ID 2017 works. Rather spending the time helping my 30+ users reverting to version 2017. Some of them crash on 2018. Some don't.

There is barely anything new in this version anyways – and 2017 is basically the same as 2016. There seems to be hardly any developement on InDesign. (But that is understandable; Adobe gets their monthly payments anyway so why should they bother?)

• 61. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                                                  litings30458807

Photoshop 2018!! Crash 3 times in 10 minutes and nothing saved.

• 62. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                                                    stevennass

When I installed InDesign 2018, the 2017 version was removed. Any way to get it back?

• 63. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                                                      beZartan Level 1

In the creative cloud box in the app section, there should be an arrow next to the 'open' or 'install' circle of InDesign, click other versions from the drop down menu.

1 person found this helpful
                                                      • 64. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                                                        stevennass Level 1

Thanks! Life saver!

• 65. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                                                          Renata_

Mine is crashing during launch too (2017 is working fine, Photoshop and Illustrator are fine too).

Running El Capitan 10.11.6 on a mid-2009 MacBook Pro.

For font management I use FontExplorer X Pro 5.5.1 (but I have none of the plugins installed - I don't use font activation via any plugin). System & applications caches are all cleaned.

• 67. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                                                            sanyamt Adobe Employee

Hi,

Can you please provide the following information to help me investigate the issue

• OS
                                                            • System configuration
                                                            • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
                                                            • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
                                                            • Is the issue related to a specific document? If Yes, Can you please provide the document?
                                                            • Is the file located on network location? If Yes, Is the issue reproducible if you open the document locally?
                                                            • Does Trashing preference and cache help to resolve the issue?
                                                            • Please provide the log files from your machine? You can get them using log collector tool - https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html

Regards

Sanyam Talwar

2 people found this helpful
                                                            • 68. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                                                              iandack Level 1

For me, I have OS 10.12.6, MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM. All I have to do to reproduce the crash in InDesign or Muse CC 2018 is to double click them. I get the splash page then they quit. I've removed all font apps etc, booted in safe mode, and it doesn't help. have also cleaned caches, clean installed, etc. 2017 versions still work fine.

• 69. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                                                                stevennass Level 1

I'm operating Mac OS 10.12.6. The issue is not related to any specific document. InDesign would abruptly quit when I attempted to save a newly created document, or open any existing documen (I tried many). I work on a local network, but the crash would occur immediately, as soon as I clicked on save, before I navigated to the server. I tried trashing preferences and cache, but it had no effect.

• 70. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                                                                  VogueDesign Level 1

Has there been a solution to this problem yet? It's been a week since this post was started and I haven't seen too much progress on this from Adobe. Obviously, I have the same issue, InDesign crashes on start up. I do not use a font management program, but I have many non-standard fonts installed on my computer. Both Photoshop and Illustrator 2018 work fine. I have reverted back to InDesign 2017 like many of the posters here too.

What is the next step? Or do we continue to use 2017 until a patch is ready?

OS: Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit

• 71. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                                                                    Renata_ Level 1

Here is my info, hope that helps too.

• OS: El Capitan 10.11.6
                                                                    • System configuration: MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009), 2,26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo,8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
                                                                    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed? Nothing else was opened. Just clicked on the app to open, and after the message "starting up service registry" it dies. Repeatedly. I could not open ID 2018 yet. ID 2017 is fine.
                                                                    • Is the issue related to a specific document? If Yes, Can you please provide the document? No, it is not. Just trying to open the app.
                                                                    • Is the file located on network location? If Yes, Is the issue reproducible if you open the document locally? Not trying to open any document.
                                                                    • Does Trashing preference and cache help to resolve the issue? No.
                                                                    • Please provide the log files from your machine? You can get them using log collector tool. Here's the link for my logs:   https://we.tl/IbT89sgjMd  and my last crash report https://pastebin.com/CaMJB90X

I use Font Explorer X 5.5.1 for font management, but I don't use any auto-activation plugin. Font Explorer was closed during ID crash, and just the system fonts were activated. All the font caches were clean.

Thank you very much!

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best,

Renata

• 72. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                                                                      beZartan Level 1

no solution yet, im still on 2017, which is fine until i start getting files from vendors that are on 2018... not sure why we havent heard from an adobe rep in a while. If it helps, below is the apple crash report:

Process:               Adobe InDesign CC 2018 [57314]

Path:                  /Applications/Adobe InDesign CC 2018/Adobe InDesign CC 2018.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe InDesign CC 2018

Identifier:            com.adobe.InDesign

Version:               13.0.0.125 (13000)

Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process:        ??? [1]

Responsible:           Adobe InDesign CC 2018 [57314]

User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2017-10-26 12:39:21.428 -0500

OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.11.6 (15G31)

Report Version:        11

Time Awake Since Boot: 240000 seconds

Time Since Wake:       98000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        5

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000008

Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

VM Regions Near 0x8:

-->

__TEXT                 000000010791f000-0000000107926000 [   28K] r-x/rwx SM=COW  /Applications/Adobe InDesign CC 2018/Adobe InDesign CC 2018.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe InDesign CC 2018

• 73. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                                                                        sanyamt Adobe Employee

Can you please take a backup of the cache and preference. Mail me at santalwa@adobe.com.

Please follow the step to clear preference and cache

• InDesign Preference:

Windows: C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\

Macintosh: Hard Drive/Users/<USER>/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/

• InDesign Cache:

Windows: C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\

Macintosh: Hard Drive/Users/<USER>/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign

After taking the backup of cache and preference, clear the entire InDesign folder. Launch InDesign - It should work.

4 people found this helpful
                                                                        • 74. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                                                                          Renata_ Level 1

Thank you very much for your help! It really worked.

I've just sent you the cache & preferences backup by email, if they can help you in some way.

Best regards,

Renata

• 75. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                                                                            romanobstuder Level 1

Just tried this.

No go. I still crash...

• 76. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                                                                              zmwj11

Afternoon,

After reading all the post, I have tried everything suggested  and it still crashes on launch. We are using a iMac OS 10.12.6 with ID2018. ID 2017 works fine. We loaded Suit case 8 and it still doesn't work. If need, I can post the crash report. I still have ID2017 which works well.

Thanks

Mike Johnson

• 77. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                                                                                iandack Level 1

I'm afraid the fix of removing the preferences and caches didn't work, the app still crashes straight after the splash screen.

• 78. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                                                                                  stevennass Level 1

Removing Prefs and Cache did not help. Crash immediately after splash screen.

• 79. Re: InDesign CC 2018 quit unexpectedly.
                                                                                    sanyamt Adobe Employee

Send me the crash log at santalwa@adobe.com

1 person found this helpful