19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2008 5:05 AM by dc_mccarron

Menu Bar Application Name

Rich_BinaryLabs Level 1
      I'm creating a cross-platform title which is in a resizable window. On the mac, the menu bar remains visible above the window, and the application name is displayed as "Projector" in this menu bar. Does anyone know if there's a way for me to change this to display my application's name instead of "Projector"? Thanks much!
        • 1. Re: Menu Bar Application Name
          rafa@mediatech Level 1
          Doesnt the display window, only displays the name of the actual application (projector)? Did you try changing the name of the app?

*I apologize in advance if what you are asking is something completely different...
          • 2. Menu Bar Application Name
            liveoak
            Oops - Rafa beat me to it while I was logging in.

When you create a projector, you set the name of the Projector (and thus the name that appears in the menu bar) on the Formats tab in the Publish Settings dialog.
            • 3. Re: Menu Bar Application Name
              Rich_BinaryLabs Level 1
              Thanks for your input Rafa and liveoak. The name of my application is set in the publish settings, and also under movie properties/Display Template. And that name does indeed show up in the title bar of the window that the projector plays in. BUT, when the projector window is not full screen on the Mac, there is a menu bar (the Mac OS menu bar) across the top of the monitor, that says the word "Projector" in it, right next to the little apple emblem.

So, folks out there working with Macs, is this what you see when you run a projector, not full screen? And is there anything I can do to change it?

BTW, this is Director MX 2004. I'm creating Windows and Macintosh projectors from my Windows XP machine...in case it matters.

Thanks again all for any light you may be able to shed.
              • 4. Re: Menu Bar Application Name
                rafa@mediatech Level 1
                Well, I have created cross platform projects from XP, and the MAC zip it creates when I publish is named as whatever my .dir file is named. Maybe since you have it named "Projector" in the display tab, it always defaults to that. I never name it in the display tab. Try leaving the title space on the display tab blank.
                • 5. Re: Menu Bar Application Name
                  Rich_BinaryLabs Level 1
                  Thanks Rafa. It's actually not named Projector in the display tab, but has the same name as the application itself. But actually it was blank originally, as I had never set a name there before either. I just did it on this one because I was trying to get "Projector" to not show up in that menu bar.

So, are you saying that you see your projector's name in the title bar of the window, and also in the Mac menu bar at the top of the monitor when you create a mac projector? Very strange, I wonder why my projector is behaving differently.
                  • 6. Re: Menu Bar Application Name
                    rafa@mediatech Level 1
                    Yeah, I have the bad habbit of naming all my projects "main.dir" and when I make changes to "main.dir" I just change the next .dir to "main1.dir" "main2.dir"...etc
                    When I publish my cross plat projects, I get a "main.exe" and a "main.osx.hqx" file. I take the "main.osx.hqx" and unzip it on the Mac. When unzipped, it gives me "main" or "main.app". I then go ahead and rename the unzipped file, and when I play the file on the Mac, the window shows whatever name I renamed the file on the title bar. You said you tried to rename your Mac file, but still did not work, right?
                    • 7. Re: Menu Bar Application Name
                      Rich_BinaryLabs Level 1
                      Yeah, no matter what I name my executable on the mac, the menu bar still shows "Projector", even though the actual application window shows the name of the file. I guess I've never run into this before, because I usually have my projectors play full-screen. But this one needs to be in a resizable window.
                      • 8. Re: Menu Bar Application Name
                        Level 7
                        Rich - that seems to be a bug in D10. It is fixed in D11. If you use
                        D11 on PC to make a Mac projector, then the name appears correctly. In
                        MX 2004, it shows "Projector" at the top.
                        • 9. Re: Menu Bar Application Name
                          Level 7
                          "Rich_BinaryLabs" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> posted in
                          macromedia.director.basics:

> Yeah, no matter what I name my executable on the mac, the menu bar still
                          > shows "Projector", even though the actual application window shows the
                          > name of the file. I guess I've never run into this before, because I
                          > usually have my projectors play full-screen. But this one needs to be
                          > in a resizable window.

I don't have a Mac to test, and I suspect the following suggestions are
                          equivalent to using the Display Template, but try this in a movie script:

on prepareMovie
                          the stage.title = "Title Goes Here"
                          end

If you have Buddy API, you might be able baSetWindowTitle() if it is
                          supported on Mac.

--
                          Mark A. Boyd
                          Keep-On-Learnin' :)
                          • 10. Re: Menu Bar Application Name
                            Level 7
                            It is not the window title he is talking about, it is the apple menu bar
                            on the top of the screen, next to the apple logo.

The standard Director methods work fine for naming the window or the
                            icon in the dock. But this area at the top of the screen does not
                            change. At least not if you are publishing in D10 on a PC.
                            • 11. Re: Menu Bar Application Name
                              Level 7
                              Mike Blaustein <mblaustein@gmail.com> posted in macromedia.director.basics:

> It is not the window title he is talking about, it is the apple menu bar
                              > on the top of the screen, next to the apple logo.
                              >
                              > The standard Director methods work fine for naming the window or the
                              > icon in the dock. But this area at the top of the screen does not
                              > change. At least not if you are publishing in D10 on a PC.

Thanks for the clarification, Mike.

Oh well, yet another example of why I don't post here often anymore. My
                              version of Director is woefully dated and I always have to add such
                              qualifiers as "I don't have ___, but try..." or "I don't use ___, but
                              try...".

--
                              Mark "Dinosaur" Boyd
                              Keep-On-Learnin' :)
                              • 12. Re: Menu Bar Application Name
                                Rich_BinaryLabs Level 1
                                Mike, thanks so much for confirming that I'm not alone in this problem. Unfortunately I can't use D11 because it doesn't support older Mac OS (I publish mostly for school use and have to support all of OS X). I guess it is what it is...Now I just have to explain it to my client.

And Mark, without knowing it, you have helped me numerous times over the years when I've had problems and found the same or similar posts with an answer from you. From one dino to another...thanks for taking the time to help!
                                • 13. Re: Menu Bar Application Name
                                  Level 7
                                  I am not 100% sure of this, and I do not have MX 04 on Mac to test with,
                                  but I believe that the problem will not occur if you publish the
                                  projector on a Mac. At least in MX (non-2004), the projector name
                                  appears correctly up there.

You may be able to get off easy if you can find someone to make you a
                                  stub projector in MX 04 on a Mac and use it to launch your file which
                                  you would publish as dcr.
                                  • 14. Re: Menu Bar Application Name
                                    Rich_BinaryLabs Level 1
                                    It's funny Mike, after I responded to you I realized that you had said it was just if I published from the PC. I should have thought to try publishing from the Mac earlier. Anyway, you're absolutely correct. If I publish from the Mac, the application name does indeed appear in the toolbar as well as the window's title bar. I guess I've become a bit too PC-centric lately.

Thanks so much for the help.

One more little oddity. If you rename the movie after publishing it from the Mac, the new filename appears in the application window, but the original published name appears in the toolbar. Strange, but easy enough to work around. Just publish to the name you want.
                                    • 15. Menu Bar Application Name
                                      dc_mccarron
                                      Sorry for the duplicate post. There doesn't seem to be a delete function.

• 16. Re: Menu Bar Application Name
                                        dc_mccarron Level 1
                                        Is there a way to get rid of the Mac OS menu bar completely? I"m using Director 11. Even while running a "full screen" Mac Projector, I sill have the bar at the top. Can I crop it, cut it or make it transparent? Maybe something else?

• 17. Re: Menu Bar Application Name
                                          Steveorevo Level 1
                                          There is actually a way to do this without D11 or the Mac OSX version of D10 but its a hack. Somehow you will need to get into the .hqx file or simply unarchive the file on a Mac and then drag the file back to your removable media/network drive for the PC.

The Mac Projector determines its title based on the hidden file called ._filename.osx where 'filename' is your projector file name. You will need a binary text editor to do this (I use Visual C++ and just open it as binary, I think you can use Visual Studio Express which is free). If you open up your projector on Mac (i.e. filename.osx.hqx) and move the filename.osx file back to the PC filesystem (either by network of flash drive) this hidden file should move with it ala Mac's OSX Finder file manager. You can see the adjacent hidden file (make sure you have view hidden files in Windows Explorer) back on the PC.

Using Visual C++ or your 'binary' (notepad WILL NOT work) text editor, look for the first instance of the word Projector which should be found in between a typical markup <string>Projector</string>. Simply change it to your liking and then drag the file filename.osx back to your Mac via Finder (which will also drag your newly modified ._filename.osx file along with it). Fire it up, and you will see the Menu bar appropriately renamed, along with the 'Quit Projector' menu option also renamed.
                                          • 18. Re: Menu Bar Application Name
                                            Steveorevo Level 1
                                            Grrr.. the other issue is that the new name would have to be exactly 9 chacters to replace the word 'Projector' -more trouble then its worth?

:(
                                            • 19. Re: Menu Bar Application Name
                                              dc_mccarron Level 1
                                              Thanks for the input. I have actually solved this problem. The resolution of my projector's monitor is 1280 X 768 so I simply made the stage size match this and made the projector "full screen". The menu bar is still present, but it is outside the stage and therefore is cut off from the screen.