Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Deleting photos on mobile deletes them on Desktop

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks,

I've just started using Lightroom CC on Desktop and iPhone. I want to avoid using my phone's storage with photos, but when I delete them from the mobile, they are deleted from the Desktop app too. I can't find a way to stop this happening. Can anyone help?

best,

Paul Bradforth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Tap the LR icon top left, go to Local Storage and hit Clear Cache. It only caches low res versions on your phone, and downloads them from the cloud as they're needed, so you shouldn't find it takes up too much space.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tap the LR icon top left, go to Local Storage and hit Clear Cache. It only caches low res versions on your phone, and downloads them from the cloud as they're needed, so you shouldn't find it takes up too much space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Victoria—I've just done that, but what if I have hundreds, or even thousands of photos? Surely even the low res versions will take up some space?

Also, I've just read on one site (I've forgotten where) that once LightroomCC on the Desktop has synced, you can delete the phone photos and the downloaded ones will remain safe in the Desktop app?

best,

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's Lightroom Classic, you read about. Don't do that with Lightroom CC.

You can see how much space it's taking on your phone in that same Local Storage screen. I have 60512 photos in the cloud at the moment, taking up 600GB of cloud space, and that's using less than 1GB on my phone right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Victoria, is that the figure under 'Cached Files' or 'Locally stored copies'? Also, are your photos RAW or jpgs?

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's both combined, and most photos are raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Victoria; I'll stop bothering you soon, just one more:

Under 'Locally stored copies', I have 1.37GB. Under 'Cached Files' I have 0.02GB. Am I right to assume that the 1.37GB is what is stored in the Cloud, and the 0.02GB is proxies being stored on the phone because I clicked them to see bigger versions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't remember how they define which goes in which, but that's all stuff stored on your phone right now. Go back a level and select Cloud Storage to see how much cloud space is used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Available Cloud Storage is 19GB of 20GB. Seems a bit excessive for 48 photos, many of which are jpgs…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

19GB available sounds ok! It's rounded off too, it's not exactly 19.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough 🙂 I'll see what happens over the next few days. Thanks for your help!

best,

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Useful thread.

Use case:

LR CC Classic hosted images on my MacBook Pro

• Had some catalogs checked for synch, 700+ images showed up on both LR CC and LR iPhone and on the cloud website
  • Unclicked the synch box in LR CC C
  • Images are still showing up on my phone and LR CC and website

Question - Do I now need to delete these cloud copies? How am I certain that this will not synch back and remove them from LR CC C.

Question - What if I edit a phone version and an LR CC C version and the RESYNCH

Feature - Synch and keep on cloud or Synch and remove from cloud

Sub use case

Following from use case above, I attempted to delete an orphaned, now non-synched image from my phone

Received a warning that this would delete the image from cloud (got it) and all synched (there are none) locations. OK so far.

Fine, but if I click to resync this folder on LR CC C will it then delete the image from LR CC C?

Use case:

• Taking photos with LR iPhone
  • These show up in LR CC C in my phone folder
  • Deleted a photo from my phone, saw the "delete everywhere" warning.
  • Photo still shows up in LR CC C under my iPhone in Folders

Question - Do I need to copy these to another folder on LR CC C to be certain that they don't go away? Will that create two images?

Question - Why can't I synch a dynamic catalog (smart catalog)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines