• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Memory leak after upgrade to Adobe Premiere CC 2018

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday updated Adobe Premiere to version cc 2018 and noticed a memory leak when downloading a not very large project. Windows 10 because of this, hangs and it only helps to completely reboot. Who has the same problem? Strangely somehow it turns out that with every major update, the problem with memory leaks is repeated all the time. Developers, tell me when it will stop.

Intel Core i5-6600K,

MSI Z170A TOMAHAWK,

MSI GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G,

Kingston DDR4 16GB 3000Mhz HyperX Savage Black,

SSD

Win10-64

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a little confused.  How would downloading a project, something you do with a browser or FTP software, cause a memory leak in PP?  Do you mean after downloading the project and opening it?  Even then, I'm not sure what influence downloading the project could have had.  Seems likely the issue would be the same had the project lived on your hard drive from the start.

Can you clarify?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The situation is this. There is a project created in the version of Adobe Premiere CC 2017. In this project there are about 500 video files * .MTS. When you open this project, somewhere in the middle of the download, RAM is fully used and the computer hangs tight. Repeated attempts failed. Retreated to the version of Adobe Premiere SS 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You keep saying download, which confused me.  Where exactly are you downloading the project file from?  What software are you using to download?  Are you waiting for the download to complete before you try opening the project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's translation problem. He is not a English speaker. By download he means the loading of the project. And to be more certain conforming of media files. While the conforming is going on memory leak occures, Premiere occupies all free memory and PC is lagging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While the conforming is going on memory leak occures, Premiere occupies all free memory and PC is lagging.

I have noticed that as well with Dolby audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would uninstall 2018 and reinstall 2017 if I were you.

I never immediately upgrade to new, large releases of Premiere. I wait at least a month for the bugs to be discovered, and then I wait for the first path. Then I wait a little longer to be sure that that patch actually fixed things.

DEFINITELY don't ever upgrade your software if you're in the middle of a project. That goes for ALL NLEs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with .MTS files. The same project started in CC 2017 now fills the memory and hangs my computer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experienced it after migrating a large PPro 2017 project  (over 700 mts files and over a thousand jpgs). It was in the conforming stage that the memory consumption exceeded 80% and I got both a Windows OS warning and one from Premiere. This project also dyna-links to After Effects.  I could see it using more and more memory with the Windows resources monitor, then would get stuck conforming a particular file, although I could still use PPro, albeit with loss of performance. The cure, if that's the right word, was to periodically stop it by doing a save and close, since on restart (had to watch the task manager to ensure all traces of PPro and AE were gone) it would pick up with conforming files from where it left off. Once it finally was done conforming (it took about four of those cycles), then the memory consumption stabilized at around 40 percent with no loss of performance.  So for what it's worth, try that approach.

Windows 10

32 GB RAM

SSDs on the OS and scratch file drives

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeing a similar memory leak.  No problem with PP2017, but after update to 2018 huge memory usage climb (seen in Win 10 task manager) on conforming video. Usage climbs to almost 16Gb (my limit) and stays there if and when the conforming is done.  I'm starting a new project. But importing media I've used fine in 2017.  Media is AVCHD.  How do I get back to 2017?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue here - after updating to 2018 can't even open my 2017 projects because I run out of memory - fix this ADOBE asap - unable to work like this - have to meet deadline ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post your concerns here:

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are at least 2 separate threads just these past few minutes indicating a fairly severe and common memory issue with this update. I think Adobe staff needs to take this seriously ASAP. This shouldn't require a bug report from a few individuals. There's clearly a pattern here.

We'll be holding off upgrades until we can be sure this update isn't going to mess up our deadlines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The more people report the bug, the sooner it will receive attention:

http://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have more information on this problem in my environment.  The problem has to do with memory management when conforming new clips.  Typically I have 1-2 hour video recordings that I import.  They are AVCHD format.  Therefore they are 10-20GB each.  Importing them has been no problem up through PP2017, even on my 16GB machine.  I've watched the memory usage in PP2017 on Windows Task Manager and usage climbs steadily during conforming until it gets to about 13.6GB used of 15.9.  Usage stops climbing but conforming continues at the same speed.  Once importing/conforming is done, all works fine, there are no significant delays while PP or other windows components are paged back in. 

With PP2018 working with the same files, usage during conforming doesn't level out at 13.6.  It continues all the way till memory is fully used and high levels of paging begin.  This slows the conforming to a crawl and makes the system basically unresponsive to any other windows function, including the Task Manager.  After a very long time, conforming limps along and completes and after a great deal of paging, other windows and PP functions start to work again.

So it looks like PP2017 knew how to stop grabbing memory during conforming so paging would not go through the roof.  But PP2018 does not.

Perhaps the best approach is just to add memory while Adobe thinks about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. PP CC2018 consumes all memory and craches while conforming MTS-files. On Windows 10, 32GB memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.  EVERY time I launch Premiere CC2018 I have to go through a lengthy MTS conforming.  Why?  Adobe claims this only happens if something changes outside of Premiere.  Nothing has changed as far as I can tell.  I have 64 GB Ram, a newer Trashcan and a TerraBlock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to 32GB and it worked much the same.  PP2018 continues to grab memory during conforming until it's got 32GB now and Windows pages most everything else out, import crawls along until it's done and Windows slowly pages things back it.  However, memory usage seen with Task Manager doesn't go back down as it does with PP2017 until I end PP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. PP2018 consumes all memory while conforming files (.mts, .mp4 etc.).

If you save the project, the memory usage goes back down, then it goes up again. You have to save the project continuously to avoid memory saturation.

PP2018 needs an update to fix this bug asap!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same boat here, brand new project (started in CC 2018), AVCHD (MTS) and Premiere Pro constantly uses all 26GB that I allow it to have even while doing nothing. Just sitting there it is using 24-26GB of memory. While importing some AVCHD (through the media browser) it actual got to the point where Windows complained about lack of memory. I'm not sure if it is just an MTS thing (I'll test it on a project with Pro Res/AVID stuff).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem as all of you when even I open a 2-17 file in 2018 premiere takes my computer hostage till it's done. I've reinstalled 2017 but when I try to open the old file it says the version i downloaded is too old to open it.

The only work around I've found is to unlink all the mts files and re link them all individually which doesn't overwhelm my ram.

This is a serious issue that need to be fixed fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2017 Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confirm but in my case it's not about lagging, Premiere Pro simply doesn't respond at all which makes unable to edit my project. I hope Adobe quickly fix this issue and for now I'm gonna try to download 2017.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends on quantity of files need to be conform. If capacity of the memory gets to the end before conforming is complete than either Premiere or even the whole OS doesn't respond.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've contacted Adobe about this issue.

They told me there will be an update to correct this situation... in the end of december.

Guess I'll have to use 2017 until then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this memory leak issue on two separate updates and now this one.  For me what worked was clearing all preferences and settings when starting Premiere using alt+shift when you click on the program.

MAKE SURE AND SAVE ALL PRESETS AND CUSTOM KEYBOARD SETTINGS BEFORE YOU DO THIS AS THEY AND POSSIBLY OTHER USER SETTINGS WILL BE GONE!

*edit* Presets were not gone, but keyboard shortcuts were.

Don't know why it does this, or why this fixes it.  It's a big weird bug to me, that Adobe needs to figure out as this has been happening to me since the last update on CC2015, but at least this seems to have fixed it a 3rd time for me.

Here's more info:

FAQ: How to reset preferences in Premiere Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines