Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scale Problem: Illustrator 2018

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem:

When trying to scale and object using the Selection Tool (V), I grab the corner of the bounding box and try to scale up using Shift + Option and as soon as I release the cursor, the object snaps back to original size and will not allow me to scale.

This is the first thing I have done in Illustrator 2018. I typed a letter and tried to scale it up and could not.

Any ideas?

Mike

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

When CC 2017 first came out I noticed that unlike earlier versions it was still reading the previous version's preference files—badly. It wasn't until I redid my preferences from scratch that Illustrator (and InDesign, as well) started to work correctly. I suspect that some of the problems being reported about this new release may be from the same problem—old preferences.

To reset preferences:

For Macintosh Users: With Illustrator closed launch a Finder Window in column view and click on your home

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which system?

Have you already restarted the computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response. Yes, I have restarted computer and Illustrator. I was just working on a graphic from Adobe Draw and the scaling was working normally. I even added text as I did before and I was able to scale up proportionately with Shift+Option. Maybe it was an isolated thing.

Mac OS High Sierra

OS 10.13

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When CC 2017 first came out I noticed that unlike earlier versions it was still reading the previous version's preference files—badly. It wasn't until I redid my preferences from scratch that Illustrator (and InDesign, as well) started to work correctly. I suspect that some of the problems being reported about this new release may be from the same problem—old preferences.

To reset preferences:

For Macintosh Users: With Illustrator closed launch a Finder Window in column view and click on your home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. Within the Library folder find the folder called Preferences and within it find the following two files and delete them: “Adobe Illustrator <Version #> Settings” (earlier versions of Illustrator might just say “Adobe Illustrator”) and “com.adobe.Illustrator.plist”. When Illustrator is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

After you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, it is a really good idea to create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

For Windows Users: Hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift when launching Illustrator and respond affirmatively when asked if you want to reset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bill,

The CC2017 version of Illustrator had many problems on my system. I should have deleted preferences as it got frustrating using it. Will give it a try this go around if problems persist.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope it works out for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

solved my problem on Windows 10, thanks Bill!  I didn't get a prompt but the end result is what counts: dynamic scale and rotate are back.  Frustrating experience, though, and Illustrator CC 2018 has already crashed once...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you do wind up reinstalling CC 2018 make sure that "Import previous settings and preferences" is unchecked in the Advanced Options that will be offered during the install. See screen shot;

INSTALL AI.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines