Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PVII Extension Manager for Dreamweaver CC 18

Mentor ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PVII Extension Manager for Adobe Creative Cloud

If you are a PVII customer, or a user of extensions, please let Adobe know how much the loss of an Adobe Extension Manager has inconvenienced you. The facts, if you care to know, are simple. Adobe is trying to herd customers to their App Store. The problem is that the App store often fails to work. This has caused Adobe to constantly tweak the extension management system in order to fix the App store. The result is frighteningly bizarre. Another fact is that Adobe never discontinued extension management code. Like other important Dreamweaver features, it has simply been hidden... made inaccessible.

Please contact Adobe and implore them to do the right thing. The fair thing. The ethical thing. Ask them to restore to their customers the freedom to install extensions the sensible way.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Al, I am not one to overly complain about a product that  am using, I will mention the problem once or twice after which I will draw my own conclusions. One of my early complaints was based on the fact that Dreamweaver's extensibility was coming under increasing threat. So much so, that WebAssist has posted the following banner:

Dreamweaver's extensibility is what makes Dreamweaver a strong development tool.

There are many users of WA products that are urging Ray Burduin to start creating products that do not require Dreamweaver. In fact, DMXZone have a standalone product that will replace Dreamweaver for their extensions.

I hope that Preran​ sees this post and that he can pass the reality on to the DW team

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenPleysier  wrote

Dreamweaver's extensibility is what makes Dreamweaver a strong development tool.

There are many users of WA products that are urging Ray Burduin to start creating products that do not require Dreamweaver. In fact, DMXZone have a standalone product that will replace Dreamweaver for their extensions.

BenPleysier wrote

Many of our customers have asked for us to make standalone tools, an entire standalone web editor, or to make extensions for one or more code editors that are not called Dreamweaver .

Fortunately, we still have enough of a customer base to provide a comfortable business. They tend to be a little smarter than the average Dreamweaver user, too. They tend to use Dreamweaver CS6.

None of this changes the fact that I believe there are incompetent and/or unethical persons involved with Dreamweaver's programming and marketing and my conscience compels me to attempt to change that.

It amazes me that posts like this never attract the attention of Dreamweaver's program manager. If I were he, or she, I would be on the phone with me, as well as with Web Assist and DMX Zone. So, I have to conclude that Dreamweaver does not have a dedicated program manager, or has one that has absolutely no clue how the program works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALsp  wrote

It amazes me that posts like this never attract the attention of Dreamweaver's program manager. If I were he, or she, I would be on the phone with me, as well as with Web Assist and DMX Zone. So, I have to conclude that Dreamweaver does not have a dedicated program manager, or has one that has absolutely no clue how the program works.

Never going to happen. The last time a Dw PM posted in this forum was back in the days of Scott and Silas, (just in case Silas is looking in, sorry if i spelt the name wrong).

As i and others have said in other threads, no one appears to know who Dw is for anymore, and even worse no one is telling apart from repeating the stock answer of, "the designer who wishes to code", whatever that means.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whilst i fully agree with you Al, and i find the ability to write extensions for myself essential, my version of CS6, probably has better and fuller code hinting than Dw 2018, plus i also have my own version of php::pdo for the server behaviours, i don't think Adobe (Dw in particular) are interested in/or listening to you or me.

I have given up filling anything, or taking part in anything that requires any feedback for Dw. Dw is on its own course to 'wherever', and trying to help or change anything simply gets one branded as stupid, a trouble maker, and someone who does not know what they are talking about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

Whilst i fully agree with you Al, and i find the ability to write extensions for myself essential, my version of CS6, probably has better and fuller code hinting than Dw 2018, plus i also have my own version of php::pdo for the server behaviours, i don't think Adobe (Dw in particular) are interested in/or listening to you or me.

I have given up filling anything, or taking part in anything that requires any feedback for Dw. Dw is on its own course to 'wherever', and trying to help or change anything simply gets one branded as stupid, a trouble maker, and someone who does not know what they are talking about.

You use CS6, we use CS6, and many of our customers use CS6. So, perhaps esteemed forum contributors should be shouting about that . John Waller made a good point. From 1998 through 2005, Dreamweaver had a vibrant community. People who made free and/or commercial extensions were free to introduce their wares on the Dreamweaver newsgroup. Dreamweaver product and marketing managers actually reviewed extensions and wrote about them. Adobe has suppressed that. But the more critical issue is the dishonesty. The App Store is not working. Adobe has hidden its extension management code, much like it has hidden many features and explained it away as the features simply being removed. Since Adobe does not get involved in this community, then the community should realize it has the ability to make it a real community. My company, as well as other extension developers should be free to announce new products, without fear of being made to be predatory capitalists. Because we're not. We make tools that make a person's job easier, whether they could code it themselves or not. There are many things that could be changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALsp  wrote

My company, as well as other extension developers should be free to announce new products, without fear of being made to be predatory capitalists. Because we're not. We make tools that make a person's job easier, whether they could code it themselves or not. There are many things that could be changed.

I certainly agree with that and pretty much everything else you have said about Adobe/DW in this thread. I have no issues with companies advertising and providing extensions for those who feel it would help them. Your company provides excellent products and excellent after-care sales, which puts Adobe to shame. I'm super glad that DMXZone has had the insight and sense to launch their own editor. It takes more like them to give Adobe food for thought. Personally I'd sack all those currently responsible for managing DW and get in another team, fast. The product is a shadow of what it once was and the forum now a graveyard.

I've continuously spoken out, rather too vigorously at times, at the appalling incompetance and decision making at the top of the Adobe tree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  wrote

... The product is a shadow of what it once was and the forum now a graveyard.

I've continuously spoken out, rather too vigorously at times, at the appalling incompetance and decision making at the top of the Adobe tree.

Don't make the mistake of blaming the Dw team who actually do the work, those i would not blame for anything, as they are professional people trying to earn a living, just like everyone else.

I blame the people advising them, and the senior managment as all those should know better. Unfortunatly Os, you can no longer see a certain discussion i started last week, in which no regular participants to this forum took part in. One person who did take part though is a member of the Dw 'inner sanctum' and admitted he has no idea about coding, and did not think that this forum should discuss or answer questions on html, css, javascript, php, etc. etc.

That persons attitude and knowledge i think says it all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

osgood_   wrote

... The product is a shadow of what it once was and the forum now a graveyard.

Don't make the mistake of blaming the Dw team who actually do the work, those i would not blame for anything, as they are professional people trying to earn a living, just like everyone else.

'Managing' team I said or supposeldy managing i.e., those who spend most of the time on the golf course or painting their fingernails.

pziecina  wrote

One person who did take part though is a member of the Dw 'inner sanctum' and admitted he has no idea about coding, and did not think that this forum should discuss or answer questions on html, css, javascript, php, etc. etc.

No, that's because they probably think it is a wine connoisseurs or beauty tips forum, they have become so blinkered and disinterested in anything other than filling their pockets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reading through the replies from regular forum contributors, it has left me wondering if anyone is actually happy with how Dw is developing?

4 of the regular contributors appear to have doubts,which just leaves 2 more to say if they are happy or not.

On another topic has anyone heard anything from Rob Hecker lately?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

pziecina  wrote

On another topic has anyone heard anything from Rob Hecker lately?

No. I would not be surprised if he saw the light and gave up on the forum. Lets face it there are now very few php questions asked and that was where his skills mostly were needed and appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fondly remember the early-2000s when the Extension Manager was Dreamweaver's best feature and there was a whole subculture of extension users. There was always a buzz when PVII (and others) released their latest extension to add yet more excellent functionality at the click of a button to DW and make building websites that much easier.

Sadly those days are long gone. The world has moved on. Adobe seems to be casting Dreamweaver adrift into an uncertain future where it serves an indeterminate market. It's all (Adobe) Cloud-based these days. No room for extensions.

As much as I applaud your request, I fear that no success will come of it. The writing is on the wall. Adobe has made its corporate decision and is going in a different direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

I don't think Adobe has a direction. Certainly not for Dreamweaver. They are in a tough position. They've made their bed. The software industry has cut their own throats. Divestiture was always the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, but now there are not enough software companies to go around. Adobe and Microsoft have blundered into being monopolies. Adobe is stuck. Really, really stuck. Their best means of surviving involves something they do not possess: Good Will.

But it's never too late.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines