• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic CC & SDK changes that affect LrDevelopController?

Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having problems with my plugin while having it installed in Lightroom Classic CC (7.0). These problems seem to only present themselves with this latest version of Lightroom.

I can no longer set or get the Exposure, Contrast, Highlights, Shadows, Whites, Blacks, and Clarity development settings via LrDevelopController. All of the other development settings still work (like tint, vibranc, temp, etc...). I can also apply presets, that affect those settings, without any problems.

Has something changed in the SDK, with this version of Lightroom, that would have altered LrDevelopController in some way?

Is there somewhere I can find a list of changes relating to the SDK & Lightroom 7.0?

When I go to the SDK download page (Adobe I/O Console ) the download link says Lightroom Classic CC 2018 SDK. It says that it was updated 11 days ago. But, when I actually download the zip file and unzip its contents, everything still says Lightroom 6.0, including the manual and API Reference. Is this correct?

EDIT:

Here is a specific example...

If the Constrast in Lightroom is set to 30 (or any number)...

LrDevelopController.getValue('Contrast')

getValue('Contrast') will always return 0

If the Vibrance in Lightroom is set to 25 (or any number)...

LrDevelopController.getValue('Vibrance')

getValue('Vibrance') will return 25 or whatever the correct value is.

This is true for all the "broken" development settings I listed previously. Both setting/getting...

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

The bug is caused when LR is running in languages other than English, German, or Swedish.  See the bug report: Lightroom SDK: LrDevelopController broken in languages other than English, German, Swedish | Photoshop Family Customer C…

Please add your me-too vote and details about your plugin and why it's important to get it fixed for your users.  Adobe generally doesn't pay much attention to SDK bugs unless they judge a large number of users are affected.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there somewhere I can find a list of changes relating to the SDK & Lightroom 7.0?

When I go to the SDK download page (Adobe I/O Console ) the download link says Lightroom Classic CC 2018 SDK. It says that it was updated 11 days ago. But, when I actually download the zip file and unzip its contents, everything still says Lightroom 6.0, including the manual and API Reference. Is this correct?

I observe the same thing -- the downloaded SDK is the version 6 SDK.  I used Acrobat to compare the new Lightroom Classic CC Programmers Guide with the Lightroom SDK 6 Programmers Guide -- they're identical except for some cosmetic changes of the name "Lightroom 6" to "Lightroom Classic". 

With LR 5 and 6, it took a couple of months for Adobe to release updated SDK documentation after the new versions were released.  So if Adobe did in fact make some changes to the API, we may not find out about it from them for quite a while.  But I wouldn't be surprised if they made no changes at all -- they've been putting almost no effort into the SDK API for the past many years.

Next week I'll run my automated analysis of what's new in the API and post the results here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a quickie test and don't observe those symptoms -- getValue() and setValue() appeared to work for me:

Not sure what might be going in here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some additional investigation, I've discovered that there are alternative parameters with the "2012" suffix (e.g. Blacks2012, Contrast2012, etc...).

After Switching: Exposure, Contrast, Highlights, Shadows, Whites, Blacks, and Clarity

To: Exposure2012, Contrast2012, Highlights2012, Shadows2012, Whites2012, Blacks2012, and Clarity2012

I was able to get the expected values. I wonder why I stopped getting values back with just "Contrast".

I'm not entirely sure what the difference between Contrast and Contrast2012 is...

Also, I would appreciate seeing what you find different in the new API.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Avizzv92  wrote

Some additional investigation, I've discovered that there are alternative parameters with the "2012" suffix (e.g. Blacks2012, Contrast2012, etc...).

Very curious -- for me, "Contrast" and "Contrast2012" return the same results.  In photo:getDevelopSettings(), "Contrast" refers to the contrast settings for process versions prior to PV 2012, while "Contrast2012" referred to the contrast setting for PV 2012.  For getDevelopSettings(), those are two separate, unrelated keys.

But for LrDevelopController, "Contrast" is supposed to return the contrast setting regardless of the photo's process version. I have observed that in the past and that's what I observe now.  But you're observing something different...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay that makes sense.

The exact same code in 6.12 vs 7.0 (Trial Version). Is giving me different results.

With 6.12: both Contrast and Contrast2012 give me the same (correct) value

With 7.0 (Trial): Only Contrast2012 is giving me a value other than zero.

If it makes a difference I'm getting the value within an AdjustmentChangeObserver and or PhotoChangeObserver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it makes a difference I'm getting the value within an AdjustmentChangeObserver and or PhotoChangeObserver.

Conceivably that could account for the difference between what you're observing and I am.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bug is caused when LR is running in languages other than English, German, or Swedish.  See the bug report: Lightroom SDK: LrDevelopController broken in languages other than English, German, Swedish | Photosh...

Please add your me-too vote and details about your plugin and why it's important to get it fixed for your users.  Adobe generally doesn't pay much attention to SDK bugs unless they judge a large number of users are affected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for this additional information. That would explain my situation. My Lightroom language is set to French and I believe the person who originally reported an issue with my plugin is using it in Italian.

Hopefully it can be addressed since it seems to affect some heavily used functionality of the SDK. Nonetheless, at least there is a workaround for now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines