• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keeping CBT completion status so CBTs can be used as reference

Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create CBTs that allow users to review previous slides. When they reach a knowledge question, they are welcome to go back and look up the answers.

When the CBTs are completed and the LMS gives them completion credit, we would like them to be able to use their CBTs as a reference. So, days or months later when they have a question, they can sign in, look at the TOC and review a topic.

However, on our system, when they complete the CBT, if they go back into it, they have to start from the beginning. 

Can anyone tell me whether I can do something when I create the CBT to keep the completion status or whether it is configured in the LMS.

Thanks for any help!

K

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

As I have continued to research this question, I have seen the other posts here that are very similar - simple linear courses created with a TOC and Enable Navigation/Navigate Visited Slides Only selected because of strict compliance requirements.

I kept digging and came up with the following code that I place in the first slide On Enter event - 

if (SCORM_objAPI.RunTimeData.CompletionStatus == "completed" || SCORM_objAPI.RunTimeData.CompletionStatus == "browsed"  ) { 

window.cp.D.tocProperties.n

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks more like a LMS setting.

On Oct 20, 2017 1:13 PM, "kaitlinp26382390" <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's definitely an LMS setting - hopefully one you can configure/change.

When a SCORM course is completed/passed, it sends that status back to the LMS.

But then the LMS decides how to launch the course again per that status.

most LMS products I've experienced launch it in 'review' mode, meaning folks can go through it again but from the beginning, all progress erased - very similar to what you're describing.

That can also mean the 'review' is not scored at all, or is scored and the new status overwrites the previous one.

I would think in most cases, an LMS will perform the way you suggest once the piece is completed/passed. Likely the only way to defeat that is either the LMS has a setting to not launch the course in review but retain the bookmarks and suspend_data...OR just ensure your course is never actually completed/passed (which likely would be an issue if you need to see that status at some point).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have sometimes encountered an LMS that had no option to view a completed course again without affecting the original score of the user.  These can be a bit of a nightmare to work with because anytime the learner happens to reopen the course again their original score recorded in the database is erased (for that module or course) and they have to go all the way through it again till completion otherwise their status is marked as Incomplete or Failed.

Most clients with such an LMS have to resort to locking the user OUT of the course after they pass it. Some have asked me to provide another non-SCORM version of the course that they can post on their web server for anyone that just wanted to review key points from the content.

In theory this should NEVER happen because the SCORM standard does provide for the likelihood that some users will want to revisit course content after completing it.  But in practice some quite expensive LMS products seem to have missed that use case when designing their systems and don't provide a way to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked our LMS vendor but haven't received a reply. Unfortunately, I probably won't get a reply anytime soon.

But now I do see that once a course is complete on our LMS, it stays complete no matter what the users do.

That makes me wonder whether I can add some javascript or something when the course loads to check the course status on the LMS and if so, enable navigation with the TOC. On my CBTs, users can "navigate visited slides only". So I would actually need to disable "navigate visited slides only" leaving the  "enable navigation" enabled.

I don't really have experience with javascript but if you guys say its possible - I have a Lynda.com subscription so I can learn!

Thanks for any help!

K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As I have continued to research this question, I have seen the other posts here that are very similar - simple linear courses created with a TOC and Enable Navigation/Navigate Visited Slides Only selected because of strict compliance requirements.

I kept digging and came up with the following code that I place in the first slide On Enter event - 

if (SCORM_objAPI.RunTimeData.CompletionStatus == "completed" || SCORM_objAPI.RunTimeData.CompletionStatus == "browsed"  ) { 

window.cp.D.tocProperties.navigateVisited = false;

}

I found these object properties using the browser developer tools. This removes the Navigate Visited Slides Only selection and allows users that have already completed the CBT to use the TOC to go to any slide. Again, the intent is to allow the users to refer back to any slide in a CBT for reference after they have received Completion credit for a CBT.

Being new to javascript, I'm guessing this isn't a best practices way to do this. It is working reliably so far in my testing.

Maybe this will be helpful to someone else.

If experts have feedback, I will appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources