1 2 Previous Next 50 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2018 2:36 AM by gigeli82367597 Branched to a new discussion.

Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance

Kimblah Level 1

Hi,

Just build my Threadripper system (1950x, 32GB, 1080 Ti) and what I notice is that the scrubbing performance is pretty slow compared to my Intel laptop (i7 4790K, 32GB, 970M). I'm using GH5 ALL-I 4K files. Files are on SSD raid on Threadripper system and single SSD on laptop. Playback is ok, but scrubbing timeline is really bad.  Both systems are just installed with Windows Fall Creators update. Is premiere just badly optimized?

[Moderator note: moved to most appropriate forum.]

• 1. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance
          ianc85019652 Level 1

when i press to play back the video on timeline , Premiere's reaction is like 1 sec delay, both timeline and preview screen

• 2. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance
            Kimblah Level 1

Playback is not the problem for me. Although that could also be better. My main problem is that scrubbing the timeline is really jerky/slow. I think Premiere needs to be better optimized for Threadripper. Could someone from Adobe comment this?

• 3. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Why don't you test your system with my Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) and see how well you have your system tuined.  I have received some great results from another Threadripper owner who is extremely satisfied with his system. Please Submit the required two files and maybe also post the results here also.

• 4. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance
                Kimblah Level 1

Here are my results:

"84","58","16","214", Premiere Version:, 12.0.0.224

Don't know if it is good or bad

• 5. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance

Here are the results of a well tuned Threadripper

"34","52","13","158", Premiere Version:, 11.1.2.22

1. Lets start with the CPU intensive where you have 214 seconds and Max has 158 seconds.You evidently have lots of garbage processes running that are stealing CPU cycles
                  2. Both of you have GTX 1080 Ti GPU's, and the third number, your 16 seconds and his 13 seconds are not much difference both are working great.  There could be slight GPU memory clock differences.
                  3. The other GPU accelerated test the second number is highly GPU intensive but also is CPU dependent which is probably the reason for the difference between your 58 seconds and his 52 seconds
                  4. The first number is not critical it is the disk intensive score and depends on where you send the exports.  His was apparently a 960 EVO and you stated you have some sort of a SSD RAID system.

Turn off most all programs in Task Manager/Startup.  What AV are you using?  Any special plugin;s or other video programs?

• 6. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance
                    dutchy_on_a_bike Level 1

I am having the same problems of poor scrubbing but also terrible playback, with my 1950x 64GB 1080ti m.2. I can't even play the blank space before the clip on the timeline without losing frames!! 2 Days wasted with no end in sight. Help!! Mark

• 7. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance
                      Kimblah Level 1

I'm using Windows 10 default AV and don't have any plugins installed. Ran the test again. Now moved it to C: drive which is m.2 PCI-E drive. Strangely scores got better except drive benchmark:

"113","55","16","147", Premiere Version:, 12.0.0.224

But the lousy scrubbing performance is still the same.

• 8. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance

Turn off disk drive indexing.

• 9. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance
                          dutchy_on_a_bike Level 1

It has to be a Premiere/Ryzen/Cuda problem. Outside of Premiere I find all videos play fine, even 4K phantom vision but in Premiere 2017 or 2018 it is unusable.

Premiere 6 plays fine. What to do?

• 10. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance

dutchy_on_a_bike  wrote

It has to be a Premiere/Ryzen/Cuda problem. Outside of Premiere I find all videos play fine, even 4K phantom vision but in Premiere 2017 or 2018 it is unusable.

Premiere 6 plays fine. What to do?

Why is it that that I have had nothing but praise from several users.

What motherboard are you using?

Test your system with my PPBM.

How many processes are running after bootup, see my desktop computer below.

Your statement "Outside of Premiere I find all videos play fine" has absolutely no bearing on playing in an editor

Report on your processes and what numeric version of windows

• 11. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance
                              Te Rurehe Level 1

HI, im having the same issue.

I want you to test something to see if it mimics my results.

Drop a marker on the time line then grab the marker and scrub.

Im finding im getting terrible scrubbing performance even with proxied media, but when i drop a marker and scrub the marker it scrubs as i would expect it to (nice and smooth). This suggest to me some sort of optimization issue.

Let me know if this works for anyone else.

My system specs

1950x threadripper (creator mode)

Asus zenith extreme

gtx 1080 ti

64gigs ram gskill class 16 pc3200 2133mhz

Samsung 960 evo m.2 (OS and Apps)

x2 Samsung 850 evo SSD (in raid 0) adobe cache

• 12. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance
                                Te Rurehe Level 1

FYI i did the PPBM test

i got "1027" "36" "14" "44"

I realize my hardrive speed is slow, but because im using proxies in my workflow this shouldn't matter.

Also the fact that i can get smooth scrubbing by placing a marker and scrubbing the marker confirms this.

• 13. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance
                                  Te Rurehe Level 1

I have another update.

My main media was being accessed through the network, so i tried moving things to a local drive (stardom raid 5 drive, it is still a slow drive but its local). I found a very slight improvement but still not ideal, and again using a marker to scrub yielded very smooth scrubbing. So it got me to thinking to turn off "play audio while scrubbing" (edit>preferences>audio> then untick "play audio while scrubbing").

Then boom, buttery smooth scrubbing.

This is quite weird as my cache drive is raided ssd's reading and writing at 500MB/s plus.

I do prefer to have audio scrubbing on, but in this situation i'll forgo that for buttery smooth scrubbing.

Well, hopefully this helps as somewhat of a work around. Good luck

• 14. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance
                                    dutchy_on_a_bike Level 1

I tried the scrubbing with the marker and without and it didn't help. What I have worked out is that .MXFs are awful on the Threadripper, Long GOP or Intra frame. My ancient MacPro 5,1 with a GTX 980 flies though that stuff even with Lumetri. My solution was this; and it is not pretty. On my desk I have the MacPro 5,1 and the 1950x PC, from the Mac I access the .MXFs and use Edit Ready to transcode the files to ProRes, saving them back to the PC. The files never leave the PC. I then set my timeline to ARRI 1080P/25 and ALL IS GOOD!! NO DROPPED FRAMES. I'm lucky I don't need to export back to ProRes, all my work is exported h.264 for Online or TV Commercial broadcast. But there is definitely something wrong with the 1950x/Premiere combination. Mark

• 15. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance
                                      Te Rurehe Level 1

Interesting, im also dealing with MXF's from the Sony FS7, 1080p and 4k 25fps.

Did you try my latest workaround re-turn of audio scrubbing.

I'm thinking it wont work cause it is essentially the same thing as scrubbing with the marker, but still worth a try to be sure.

My issue seem to be more around the cached audio rather than the MXF video. For my setup i've cached the audio away from the MXF location. Im curious where do you cache your audio files?

Im now finding that even with proxies turned off and accessing the files through the network (1gbps) with both the 1080p and 4k synced into a multi camera sequence in the preview window, im still getting smooth scrubbing.

• 16. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Te+Rurehe  wrote

FYI i did the PPBM test

i got "1027" "36" "14" "44"

I realize my hardrive speed is slow, but because im using proxies in my workflow this shouldn't matter.

Also the fact that i can get smooth scrubbing by placing a marker and scrubbing the marker confirms this.

1. That 1027 second score for your disk system is a transfer rate of 36 MB/sec which is like trying to use USB2 for editing and is no way near enough for any kind of editing, even proxies.
                                        2. Your 44 second number is an impossible score for the CPU intensive timline export.  I have found that Premiere 12 does not remember export settings so may that was the problem.
                                        3. Your 14 second score for the strictly GPU score is right on the button for your GTX1080 Ti
                                        4. The 36 second score for the very complex H.264 timeline export is very good if it is correct but here is the score that a very satisfied Threadripper owner has:

"34","52","13","158", Premiere Version:, 11.1.2.22

• 17. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance
                                          Te Rurehe Level 1

Yeah, im not sure whats going on with the disk speed, i can assure you im not having any editing problems proxies or no proxies. I must have messed up the test some how, I tested the stardom drive where i exported the media to, and the drive speed is fine. Not fantastic but fine.Untitled-1.jpg

The score for the cpu "44", i sat there and watched it go, unless i made a mistake somewhere. It did indeed take 44's. I might try that one again cause its so far off what every one else got. I must have accidentally done something somewhere.

• 18. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance
                                            Te Rurehe Level 1

After redoing the test i did indeed mess up.

I moved the project to my cache drive so i did end up with a better drive speed test as expected.

"73" "41" "14" "135"

• 19. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance
                                              dutchy_on_a_bike Level 1

I tried scubbing the timeline using HD and 4k Long GOP from the FS5, with audio scrubbing on/off using the playhead and also using a marker, for me, it didn't make any difference. It was still choppy. Just playing the vision, drops hundreds of frames. My boot drive is an Samsung 960 Pro EVO M.2, my scratch is another Samsung 960 Pro EVO M.2, and the vision sits on a WD Black HDD. Even with the vision sitting on an SSD, it still has choppy playback. So for me, the ProRes transcode has fixed everything. Ironic that ProRes works smooth on the PC. Working natively in .MXF is just not possible. The reason I bought a new computer was to avoid transcoding. The Mac Pro 5,1 could work with any format smoothly but 4k was where things started to have problems, hence the reason to buy a new computer.

• 20. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance
                                                Te Rurehe Level 1

There is definitely a local hardware issue i think. If it were a threadripper MXF cuda issue i would be having issues as well.

• 21. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance
                                                  dutchy_on_a_bike Level 1

You might be right. It's possibly an issue with the drivers for the MSI GTX 1080Ti and 1950x. What I can't work out is why the .MXFs play fine outside of Premiere in VLC, even 4k Long GOP from the FS5 are smooth as expected.

• 22. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance

Playing a file versus editing there is absolutely no comparison.

• 23. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance
                                                      IAH Digital Level 1

Same configuration as you with the EXACT same problems. I have tried game mode to disable the second CPU but performance only increases slightly. 2017 version is better the the new version. I have NO IDEA how to fix this

• 24. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance
                                                        greggyp89 Level 1

I have a threadripper 1950x a 1080ti gaming SC Black Edition and a 960 Pro boot 512gb. Scratch files going onto a 1-terabyte wd blue. I noticed that every time I add an audio file Premiere starts to freeze up and I cannot do anything. The play head freezes up and I cannot move the mouse sometimes. It is very strange if I delete the file from both the timeline and the folder it will go back to normal. I've noticed if I make folders for the music it goes away. Can anyone explain why this is happening? Note I'm very new to premiere! Only 2 months under my belt I bought this computer just to get over not being able to use the program on my laptop.

1 person found this helpful
                                                        • 25. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance
                                                          PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Are the previews at 100% on both computers? What is the screen resolution on both machines?

• 26. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance
                                                            greggyp89 Level 1

I usually have the previews at about 50%. I started converting the music to .wav because I thought Premiere liked .wav now I've noticed with the new premier you can use MP3 as are many other music files. Also now that I started using folders I am not having this issue but if I have the large Project without folders why does Premiere freeze up.

• 27. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance

Where are your media files?

• 28. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance
                                                                greggyp89 Level 1

They are on my c drive in video folder? Where should they be?

• 29. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance
                                                                  greggyp89 Level 1

Buy folders I mean folders inside the premiere project if I have all my video files in music without organization in bins. Timeline will freeze up.

• 30. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance
                                                                    IAH Digital Level 1

Hey all,

I've learned some things in the last month since building a Threadripper 1950x system. Here is a list of things I have done to increasingly improve the performance of the Threadripper in AE and Premiere. Its not perfect yet but its getting faster the more I tweak certain things

FIRST THINGS FIRST FOR PREMIERE***

DONT CONVERT A PROJECT FROM AN OLDER VERSION!!!! It causes major playback issues. Create a new project from scratch OR import your project into the new version of Premiere and copy the old composition into the new comp.

THEN TRY THESE:

1) USE AN M2 drive for your cache!!!!!! I tried using a fast Intel SSD for my cache in After Effects (and Premiere) and noticed that the computer I use at work using an i7- 7700K was MUCH faster than my TR 1950X. Part of the reason is because it uses a Samsung NVMe drive for its cache. I changed my cache to run off my of seperate NVMe drive and the performance on a vector heavy project increased by almost 20% or so. **THE M2 DRIVE NEEDS TO BE SEPERATE FROM THE OS AND STORAGE DRIVE

2) UNINSTALL RYZEN MASTER!!! It messes with your CPU processes. Once it was removed Premiere and After Effects performance improved.

3) CLOSE OR UNINSTALL ASUS SONIC STUDIO. It messes with your CPU processes. Once it was removed Premiere and After Effects performance improved.

4) DONT USE THE RYZEN POWER SETTINGS!!!!! Use PERFORMANCE POWER SETTINGS. Trust me

5) If you are working on a complex After Effects comp with vector elements TURN OFF 'SHOW LAYER CONTROLS'. This speeds things up significatly

6) USE AN M2 FOR YOUR OS AND APPLICATIONS!!!! The faster the M2 the better.

7) UNINSTALL ASUS AI SUITE or any overclocking utility. This processor is a different animal from INTEL, it doesn't work the same way

8) SET PROCESSOR AFFINITY TO 12 CORES FOR AFTER EFFECTS.....this should increase performance for now

Follow these steps and your Threadripper will start to perform like a dream. KEEP IN MIND, this processor is AHEAD OF ITS TIME and Adobe needs to catch up to these new massive multi-core processors. In time After Effects and Premiere will scale with hyperthreading and your system will CRUSH. AMD has started something interesting..dont throw in the towel. The best is yet to come

SPECS

AMD Threadripper 1950X

ASUS  ROG ZENITH EXTREME X399

CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3000 MHZ 64GB  - **make sure to set your RAM timings manually in BIOS
                                                                    GTX 1080ti turbo 11GB

Samsung Pro M2 for OS and APPS

Samsung Pro M2 for CACHE
                                                                    ...the rest of the peripherals dont matter

I hope this helps. I'm still tweaking and I'll post any discoveries I find. Bless!

• 31. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance
                                                                      johansebamuel Level 1

I have been having these issues with a similar setup as well. Threadripper 1950x with gtx1080 card. After literally months of troubleshooting, buying new drives and components, re-installs, and trying every little tip and trick on the internet, Adobe support helped me narrow down the issue to the graphics card. There is a problem with gtx 10 series cards specifically on Threadripper platforms in Premiere (I have not seen this issue on intel platforms with the same video cards). 

To test this, open up Device Manager. Open up the Display adapters section, right click on your gtx10 series card and click update driver. Select "Browse my computer for driver software" then "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer." In the list of drivers that comes up you should have an option for "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter." Select it and hit next to switch to that driver. 

Your resolution will suffer, but once it is installed go back into Premiere and see if you have problems. For me, all problems are fixed.  

Upon realizing this I ran out to Best Buy and picked up the last video card they had on their shelf, an AMD Radeon RX 550 and threw it in my computer. Playback and scrubbing was still crappy until I actually disabled my gtx1080 entirely. Now I can reliably reproduce the issue my toggling my gtx1080 from disabled to enabled in device manager.  

If you all run the same test with the same result, please report the bug to NVIDIA here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/driverqualityassurance.htmlNVIDIA Driver Feedback|NVIDIA

Hopefully they can get a fix out to us sooner than later.

• 32. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance
                                                                        IAH Digital Level 1

Yeah right!?!? This would explain A LOT of my problems in Premiere. Everybody on here has almost the exact same build...1950X, ROG Zenith Extreme and GTX 1080/1080ti on M2 SSD. Anyways, I'm over Premiere I think. Resolve has my heart right now. Sorry Adobe!

• 33. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance
                                                                          bradyg92 Level 1

So I started having problems recently with Premiere Pro CC in the timeline scrubbing aspect.

I have a Threadripper 1920x and nvidia 1080ti, 64gb ram on Windows 10. Premiere is installed on an M.2 OS drive.

I also have a scratch disk, 512gb Samsung Evo Pro SSD.  This is where my previews and media cache go.

I edit a lot of XAVC-S footage natively and usually have no problems whatsoever.  Which is what I'm currently editing with in this situation.

I noticed importing a GoPro Cineform clip into my project from a Resolve Roundtrip, premiere would start to get crazy scrub lag.  You would think this codec would be buttery smooth as an intermediate codec.  I could not even zoom in on the timeline without having to press play and waiting for a few seconds before the change would occur. I would play my timeline, and would not be able to stop the timeline from playing. My Timeline would actually disappear on some occasions (just a grey panel).

I came to this thread, tried a few things such as toggling on/off the play audio during scrubbing (this did absolutely nothing).

I did a clean install of premiere. Nothing changed.

Tried playing at 1/4 resolution. Nothing.

I noticed someone said creating different folders for their audio media did the trick. Literally, all I did was create a new bin, drop the cineform clip in, and boom, smooth scrubbing and playback. IDK what the heck is going on with threadripper and premiere, but this is getting ridiculous.  Hopefully this temp fix works on other projects and this is not just some fluke. Keep this in mind.

Love/ Hate relationship with Premiere.  Almost about to completely switch to Resolve especially since the Resolve 15 announcement.

• 34. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance
                                                                            greggyp89 Level 1

My specs are 1950x with 1080ti boot drive is M.2 nvme 960 Pro 32GB of RAM Trident Z 3000mhz I still have problems with Premiere crashing all the time. I use the ryzen power plan for Windows. I use the boot drive to run premiere and I run my scratch disk off a regular SSD WD blue. I found that making separate bins for all my media music and timeline has stop Premiere from freezing up. I am still having quite a few issues with type sinking and Premiere freezing up. I am amazed that you can buy such a Enthusiast CPU and have such issues with a program. Are there any settings I can change or am I doing something wrong.

• 35. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance

Well I have no Threadripper myself but have received PPBM test results from a number of people that seem to have found ways to run Premiere very successfully with a 1950X and a GTX 1080 Ti.  Here are the scores of a really great configured and tuned computer.

"48","43","13","140", Premiere Version:, 12.0.0.224, 1950X, GTX1080 Ti, 11/29/2017

You might download the Premiere Pro BenchMark, unzip it, run it and the submit,the two files and see if we can help you out

• 36. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance

By the way where are your project files and media?

• 37. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance
                                                                                  boss12345 Level 1

why premiere is so bad??

is not possibile that i create a monster pc configuration (1950x 16 core...64 gb) and all of us have problem with the playback that result jerk and chobby...

Adobe wake up!!!

• 38. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance
                                                                                    peterl64269003 Level 1

Here are my results from the Benchmark "86","44","13","135", Premiere Version:, 12.1.2.69

My specs are :

AMD Threadripper 1950x

GTX 1080 TI

64gb RAM

1 M.2 SSD for System

1 SSD for Media

While working with footage (1080p) from the A7s I have dropped frames during playback with straight out of the camera footage (no effects) My timeline was made from the same settings as the source footage.

Can someone tell me whats going on?

• 39. Re: Premiere CC 2018 Threadripper bad scrubbing performance
                                                                                      peterl64269003 Level 1

I submitted a bug/feature for this here : Better Threadripper Support – Adobe video & audio apps 

Throw some votes on it if you want!

1 2 Previous Next