• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Forward and Backward arrows

New Here ,
May 19, 2008 May 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been reading posts about creating browse sequences but alas still am not sure how to get the forward and backward arrows to appear.

I don't want to create a browse sequence as my topics don't need to follow a particular order, i just want it to function like a regular browser does.

Any insight on how to do this? thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JavaScript is the answer. Google the terms back forward javascript, and you'll see multiple links available to procure a script you can use.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The forward and back buttons are already built in. While you can script them within the topics, this seems unnecessary. They are part of the browser and the help uses the browser components. Are you building WebHelp or a compiled help (CHM) system? You should be able to activate the forward and back buttons in the main frame by turning them on in the windows settings. (Project settings/Window/...)

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2008 May 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am building a WebHelp project. I am very new at this so I might be missing something obvious. The skin i have selected has these arrows, I can see them in the skin preview but not in my project preview.

I am unsure where in the project settings I can "turn" these on.

Any assistance is much appreciated!
anna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anna,

I use an older version of RoboHelp (RoboHelp 2000), so I can't give you specific instructions - hopefully someone else will. In my version, neither the preview or WYSIWYG editor show the main frame buttons. You won't see these until you compile and look at the results. If your selected skin shows these buttons, I suspect they are already there. Generate your WebHelp output and view it. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck,

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add custom buttons in the top bar and use the following javascript functions to archive the Back and forward functionality.

Back - history.go(-1)
Forward - history.go(1)

-Arun BS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those arrows are for browse sequences so if you don't have them, the buttons will not be enabled in your output.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2008 May 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So as I suspected I will only see the arrows if I create a specific browse sequence? Even if I add the suggested javascript code? I am not sure I know where to add the code either...

I have comiled the project and still don't see them.

Might I have to just let this go?
thanks for your advice-
anna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anna

You might wish to review the following:

This link should assist with creating a Browse Sequence

This link should allow you to download my Skinny on Skins file that will assist in changing the included behavior so your typical skin buttons work like the browser buttons.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, Rick, Colum, Leon, Arun...

Am I missing something here? It seems like Anna just wants to add Forward and Back buttons to the main window. One shouldn't have to use browse sequences, javascript, or anything the least bit sophisticated to do this unless RH7 has really mangled something. Perhaps it is the selected skin - maybe these browse sequence buttons need to be removed because they are confusing things. When I go to Rick's site (WebHelp, I presume), there are no browse sequences but I get forward and back buttons from the browser outside of his medieval style skin.

Anna,

Is that what you are looking for?

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John

I would agree with you, but Anna initially seemed to indicate no buttons (browser or otherwise) are present. So we tend to assume she is/was referring to the buttons that are added in the Navigation Mini Toolbar area.

You may be correct. We may all be overthinking things... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John is correct, I simply want to provide a way for uses to move back and forward through my RoboHelp project.

Apologies if my posts were unclear.

I have selected a very plain skin which has the arrows in the preview. When I compile and publish my project I see the TOC correctly and above it the Contents, Index, Search tabs. But no back and forwrard arrows. This seems like a very simple feature but somehow I can't figure it out...

Thanks again!
anna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 22, 2008 May 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Rick's suggestion is still valid, here.

It requires you to edit the output's whtbar.js and save it for insertion into each future generation. It does, also, require that you create one browse sequence with a few topics.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the rub of the green. No browse sequence? No arrows!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp