• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic CC Problem after external edit

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saving a Photoshop edited "original" tiff  when using the "Edit Original" results in losing all developed settings like  the crop and the vignette in Lightroom.

Before the update  to Lightroom Classic CC closing Photoshop and saving the tiff back to Lightroom with the same name,  crop, vignette and other develop settings have been visible again within Lightroom.  This is no longer the case and this is really bad. Does anyone know how to fix that or do I have to wait  till Adobe fixes this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit Original means without any Lr settings.

I have my prefs set up to render a tiff. Pressing Ctrl+E or Cmd+E sends a file with the Lr adjustments to PS and back into Lr Classic after using Save (not Save AS)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I open the file with "Edit original", so I edit the original tiff in photoshop without Lr settings, that's clear. But when saving back to Lr, not save as, just saving back to Lr, all made Lr adjustments and crops are lost. In the last version of Lr this worked fine, now it stopped working. My workaround is to copy the develop settings and after saving from photoshop back to Lr reapplying them to the photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m not sure I understand. If you export original it will not have a crop or any other develop settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Import a scanned tiff into Lr.

2. Adjust the photo and crop the photo in Develop module in Lr.

3. Notice something in the photo I need to edit in photoshop

4. Open with "Edit with Photoshop" and "Edit Original"

5. Edit in photoshop as needed, for example remove some dust

6. Saving bak to Lr

7. Before in Lr added settings and crops are gone, as soon as Lr updates the file the settings and icons disappear

I don't think this should be like this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you choose to open with Lr Adjustments?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My experience with past versions of Lightroom is that if I choose to edit the original in Photoshop light room sends the original without the adjustments that were made in Lightroom. If I want all of the adjustments included I have had to choose the option to edit a copy that included those adjustments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@99jon - it creates a copy of the image and applies the adjustments and crop, but that is not what I want

I want to edit just the "original" tiff or psd in photoshop without the adjustments but the adjustments I made in Lr in that same file should not be lost only because I removed some dust in photoshop. As mentioned before, in previous version this workflow worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2018 Feb 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the same issue here, however with me I think it started appearing only with LR 7.2, but cannot be sure.

I have an TIFF in LR and apply a crop in LR. When I then open the TIFF in PS with Edit Original, then make same changes and save it, the crop in LR is gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to edit a copy with LR settings if taking a tiff into PS for the second time. Original won't recognize the crop because it was created in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check back in the History panel in Lightroom right after the image is returned.  It may be that after the edited image returns to Lightroom, Lightroom shows the Original rather than the latest Lightroom edits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

99jon​: I do not expect to see the crop in PS, it is clear that there the full picture will be shown. My issue is that now the crop disappears in LR when I save the file in PS. I am using this kind of workflow on a regular basis, so I am pretty sure it has worked before.

JoeKostoss​: there is no entry at all in the history for this. Neither the edit nor the change of the crop is recorded in the history.

I now tested it with other settings, like Exposure, they also disappear.

Regards, Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

e9li  wrote

Saving a Photoshop edited "original" tiff  when using the "Edit Original" results in losing all developed settings like  the crop and the vignette in Lightroom.

I do this all the time with film scan images and it's working fine on my Windows 7 system with LR Classic 7.2. This is most likely caused by a corrupted LR Preferences file. Follow the procedure at the below link to reset it or simply rename it with a .OLD extension and then reopen LR.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trshaner​: at least on my end this did not fix the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you renamed the LR Preferences file to reset it make sure to close and reopen LR so it can create a new one. Also make sure to use PS 'Save' and not 'Save As' with a different file name. The 'Save As' file will not have your original LR settings applied if it is renamed (i.e. FileName-2 or whatever). If you see an up-arrow =↑ icon on the filmstrip thumbnail click on it and choose 'Overwrite Settings' and NOT 'Import Settings From Disk,' which will remove all of your LR settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Got a step closer! I did not see that =icon, but still it seems to be related to metadata.

In the Catalog Settings under Metadata there is an option "Include Develop settings in metadata inside JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and PSD files". It was activated in my catalog. When I deactivate this option it works again as I expected, the develop settings of Lightroom remain untouched after the external edit.

But not sure why the behavior changed. Maybe one of the recent updates changed the option in my catalog? Or maybe there was no change in LR, but there was a change in PS, so that it now overwrites these develop settings?

Regards, Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Even when I edit my photo in Lr, when I transfer it to a folder on my desktop, it looks like the original photo. Do you know why it won't transfer my edited version?

Thanks

-Kev

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are simply transferring the photo from the folder that is being edited in Lightroom to a folder on your desktop, that would be the expected result. The changes are simply stored in the catalog. You would have to export a copy in order to have an image that has all of the adjustments that were done in Lightroom. It is that, or I'm not understanding your workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

Thanks so much for your response. That indeed did the trick! Thanks, now I can keep working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

robertp37255936  wrote

Got a step closer! I did not see that =icon, but still it seems to be related to metadata.

In the Catalog Settings under Metadata there is an option "Include Develop settings in metadata inside JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and PSD files". It was activated in my catalog. When I deactivate this option it works again as I expected, the develop settings of Lightroom remain untouched after the external edit.

As long as you have 'Automatically write changes into XMP' unchecked AND you don't use Photo> 'Save Metadata to File' or CTRL/CMD + S it should be of no consequence. This is because the Develop and Library metadata is never written to the file. Did you have 'Automatically write changes into XMP' checked or perform either of the above metadata Save operations? If not there is some issue causing what you're seeing.

Practicing what I preach I checked 'Include Develop settings in metadata inside JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and PSD files' and unchecked 'Automatically write changes into XMP' in the Catalog settings and restarted LR. Lo and behold I can duplicate what below editing scenario the LR edits made in step #1 are not visible in the Library or Develop module, but the PS edits are visible. The Develop module settings are all at their 0 default state with no Crop. No Metadata Conflict icons were observed. Also the History panel shows my LR Basic panel 'Auto Settings' and Crop adjustment edits, but they are GONE after Edit in PS> Edit Original.'

I challenge anyone here to try the below workflow test and tell us your results with 'Automatically write changes into XMP' both checked and unchecked. Make sure to restart LR after each Catalog Setting change. Thank you!

Edit in PS> Edit Original Over-Writing LR Settings Test

1) Create a TIFF file copy of any image file and apply LR Develop edits and a Crop.

2) Use Edit in PS> Edit Original and add text or something that is very obvious.

3) Use 'Save' in PS and close the TIFF file.

4) View the file in the Develop module. Are both the LR & PS edits showing in the Loupe and filmstrip?

5) View the file in the Library module. Are both the LR & PS edits showing in the Loupe and filmstrip?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen this issue in a couple of old threads.  Here is one example.  Re: Saving in PS deletes Lightroom adjustments on that PSD-file    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob I completely forgot about that post. It looks like there was no clear consensus on how LR should behave. Here's what I ended up concluding in that post:

"The 'Edit in PS' workaround for now is to:

1) Uncheck 'Include Develop settings in metadata inside JPEG, TIFF, etc.' in the Catalog Settings

OR

2) check both that setting and 'Automatically write changes into XMP.'

With either of these Catalog settings (1 or 2) the LR Develop settings are retained when using Edit in PS> Edit Original. I'm not sure when this behavior changed because I rarely use 'Include Develop settings in metadata inside JPEG, TIFF, etc.' Catalog Setting. I believe it was working properly in LR 5 and earlier versions."

So I went back and tested again with 'Include Develop settings in metadata inside JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and PSD files' and 'Automatically write changes into XMP' BOTH unchecked. On my Windows 7 system using LR Classic 7.1 and PS 19.1.1 with Edit in PS> Edit Original the LR edits are retained BUT now the Develop module preview is not updated with the PS changes. If I switch to the Library module and back to the Develop module a =↑ metadata conflict icon appears in the filmstrip thumbnail. This is similar to the bug reported at the below link and reported by Adobe as corrected in Lightroom CC 2015.3/6.3, but users reported it was NOT corrected.

Lightroom CC 2015.1.1: Develop module doesn't detect external changes to original file | Photoshop F...

I reset both my LR and PS Preferences files with no change in the behavior. I'm going to escalate this directly to Adobe Engineering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received a reply back from Adobe Engineering suggesting uninstalling and reinstalling PS. Using the Creative Cloud app I uninstalled both PS and LR and then reinstalled PS and LR in that order. I also chose the option to 'Keep Preferences.' This "fixed" the metadata conflict and Develop module preview issue with 'Include Develop settings in metadata inside JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and PSD files' unchecked.

However, the issue of LR settings being over-writen with 'Include Develop settings in metadata inside JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and PSD files' checked remains the same. Adobe is investigating this issue. I'll report back with their findings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recall and have confirmed that IF you want to keep BOTH CHECKED the WORK AROUND for this is to click the TOP entry in the history panel as soon as you return back to Lightroom to retain the Lr edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob I think you've discovered the cause of this issue. Clicking the top entry in the History panel also restores the Develop settings with only 'Include Develop settings in metadata inside JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and PSD files' is checked.  I'll report this to Adobe Engineering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines