• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sony 16-bit Log footage is rubbish after the update.

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before the update, if I displayed 2K (or even 1080p) on a 4K monitor it would appear smooth (obviously not as crisp as when working with source 4K footage, but it was at least smooth). Now after the update, the 2K footage appears clearly pixelated. The two screenshots below is a BEFORE and AFTER the Premiere update grabbed on a 4K monitor: The source footage is 2K 16-bit Sony Log. If you can view the AFTER image at full resolution you will see the pixelation. What gives? Is there a setting somewhere that I'm missing?

BEFORE:

before_2k-4k.jpg

AFTER:

after_2k-4k.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe techs is any one able to shed some light?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please describe your set up for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My setup hasn't changed since the update;

HP zBook17 G4.

Win10.

Xeon E3-1535 3.10Ghz 4 cores.

32GB RAM

Quadro P4000

Source material;

Filmed with Sony F5 / AXS raw recorder @ 2K, 240fps 16bit raw sLog2.

The photos above are quite telling... Rendered out of Premiere the same way shouldn't produced two completely different results like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi WheresTim,

Have ever opened the app package before? Like, tried to add LUTs other than using the "Browse" function?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I'm not sure what you mean by app package.

The footage exhibits the pixelation straight after it's imported in the bin and on a fresh timeline before any LUTs or effects are added.

As i mentioned, the BEFORE picture was pre-update, and the AFTER picture is post update... both from the same timeline/footage/source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2017 Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin-Monahan, I need an answer to this asap.

All footage I've ever shot from a Sony F5 using 2K, Cine EI, raw, sLog scales as per the examples above (horribly). Yet if i open the same footage in Resolve it scales as expected (the same with the previous version of Premiere).

Please can you provide a fix.

Contact me via this website: www.gen.media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

This is still an issue - and a rather glaring one as to get around the problem, i currently have to take the footage into Davinci Resolve and re-export it as something like a HQX 444 file then re-import it into Premiere in order to get it to look sharp. This is almost tripling my storage requirements.

Keep in mind, Premiere used to read these file types natively prior to the October patch.

Please can you contact me directly to discuss?

Many thanks,

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2018 Oct 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Kevin is anyone still looking into this???

Thanks,

TM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines