14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2017 7:32 PM by Jao vdL

Remove Uploaded Duplicates After Migrating To Lightroom CC

krazykev300@hotmail.com Level 1

Hey guys! I just upgraded to Lightroom CC, and have had all of my files stored on an external hard drive for use in Classic. After installing Lightroom CC, I uploaded all of the source files from my external hard drive to the cloud, and after this I migrated the libraries from Lightroom Classic CC to Lightroom CC. I thought that adding the photos first would allow me to only migrate the collections and edits of the source files, but instead it re-uploaded all of my source files from my Lightroom Classic CC collections to the cloud.

Now, I have duplicates of nearly all of my photos on the cloud, with edits only applied to only one of each set. My cloud is almost full, and I am cluttered with extra photos. Does anybody know a solution to remove the duplicate photos, particularly the ones without edits so I can still reference the files from Lightroom Classic CC? I only have 12,000 photos, but that's still too much to want to go through them all individually.

Thanks for all the help!

• 1. Re: Remove Uploaded Duplicates After Migrating To Lightroom CC
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>I uploaded all of the source files from my external hard drive to the cloud, and after this I migrated the libraries from Lightroom Classic CC to Lightroom CC.

Yeah you shouldn't have manually uploaded. Did you do this through a web browser at lightroom.adobe.com? The migration does all this for you already. This is why you ended up with doubling of images.

>Does anybody know a solution to remove the duplicate photos, particularly the ones without edits so I can still reference the files from Lightroom Classic CC

The only easy way is to reset everything on the cloud and do another migration from your Classic catalog. Lightroom CC cannot easily find duplicates. You should only do this after you verify that everything is present in Lightroom Classic including everything you shot on mobile devices. Then turn off all the syncing in Classic as a precaution. Then go to lightroom.adobe.com, click on the Lightroom menu and there select "Delete Lightroom Library". This will start you fresh in Lightroom CC. Then in Lightroom CC remigrate your catalog. That should get everything in the cloud. Really think this true and make sure there is no chance of losing any image or any edits. This is quite a drastic way of doing things.

Are you sure you want Lightroom CC and migrate all your images? It is quite a different beast than the classic Lightroom. It misses many features and does not scale beyond a 10 thousand images or so. Lightroom Classic can selectively sync only what you want to the cloud and those images are available then on all mobile devices and on Lightroom CC.

• 2. Re: Remove Uploaded Duplicates After Migrating To Lightroom CC
            pschefz Level 2

where did you get the info about 10000 images? i don't think that is correct....offering a 5 or 10 TB plan makes no sense for 10000.....

• 3. Re: Remove Uploaded Duplicates After Migrating To Lightroom CC
              originalmule Level 1

how do i delete the entire migration?

I created disc space to accomodate the lightroom cc, but quickly ran out of space trying to bring those files back to my computer. so now i'm stuck with 56gb on 1tb drive and I can't find a way to eliminate everything i did with CC. I deleted all 15000 photos from CC but i gained no additional GB when I did that. I litterally have nothing on the cloud and nothing on CC but still cant find a way to get my space back, which should be about 300GB

• 4. Re: Remove Uploaded Duplicates After Migrating To Lightroom CC

That wa just an order of magnitude. You can go bigger than about 10000 images with the bigger plans for sure. 10000 images is about 300 GB with current cameras. But for most people uploading that much takes weeks and is completely unworkable.  Few people have more than 5mbits/s in the us in upload bandwidth. 1TB at that rate takes 20 days to upload even if you manage to saturate the connection. Quite unworkable.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Remove Uploaded Duplicates After Migrating To Lightroom CC
                  originalmule Level 1

I'm fine with time to upload to cloud. I haven't been doing that at but have an external that backs up with time machine. so any thoughts on getting rid of the migration to CC? Is there a lib i can delete and i get my space back?

• 6. Re: Remove Uploaded Duplicates After Migrating To Lightroom CC
                    pschefz Level 2

i am on 200/200 so up and down load is not an issue for me

• 7. Re: Remove Uploaded Duplicates After Migrating To Lightroom CC

Yeah you can delete them manually. In Lightroom CC you can have it show your local storage and it should open the folder everything is in.

• 8. Re: Remove Uploaded Duplicates After Migrating To Lightroom CC

Nice. I can’t get anything near that even if I were willing to pay.

• 9. Re: Remove Uploaded Duplicates After Migrating To Lightroom CC
                          originalmule Level 1

deleting manually doesn't change my local storage

• 10. Re: Remove Uploaded Duplicates After Migrating To Lightroom CC
                            daerp

I've done the migration and it took a while (over 22,000 images). But not days of upload, maybe 10 hours. Overnight, no problem. But once the migration was done, I thought I could still use Lightroom Classic and the two programs might be in sync. Of course, that is not the case. I took a recent import into Lightroom Classic, exported the import to a specified folder and then added it to Lightroom CC. Seems to work. BUT>>>>>the duplicates are there. Not every photograph, but enough that it will take work. There used to be a plug-in for the Lightoom Classic. Anything like that exist for Lightroom CC?

Manual deletion.....now that is going to take significant TIME!!

So now that I have two programs, what is the workflow? They are different beasts. And I like both. Any way to work in one and have it sync with the other?

• 11. Re: Remove Uploaded Duplicates After Migrating To Lightroom CC
                              pschefz Level 2

i just manually removed all images from the cloud , re-installed LR CC and started a fresh migration.....this after migrating multiple catalogs and ending up with a terrible mess, lost albums,......

i am migrating a 100000+ catalog right now, everything seems to work just fine...fingers crossed...

while on the phone with tech support i was told that the LR CC to classic sync is not 100% yet and is the main focus of the next (first) update coming (hopefully) soon....

the way i understand it is that right now the best (and really only way) to work in both classic and CC is to import in LR CC which uploads everything to the cloud, all files are accessible in LR classic, changes/adjustments are synced back to everything....

classic does not upload to cloud and only syncs previews, which makes a mess in LR CC because some albums are just synced previews and some albums (migrated or imported in LRCC) are in fact full raws in cloud....

• 12. Re: Remove Uploaded Duplicates After Migrating To Lightroom CC

classic does not upload to cloud and only syncs previews, which makes a mess in LR CC because some albums are just synced previews and some albums (migrated or imported in LRCC) are in fact full raws in cloud....

This is correct. The problem is that Lightroom CC does not understand the concept of a virtual copy. If you put the same image in multiple albums it generates a new complete copy of the file. If you are syncing one file from Lightroom Classic into one album on CC and CC syncs the same image to a different album you'll have one album with a smart preview and one with a full raw that can potentially have different develop settings, keywords, etc. It's all very messy.

• 13. Re: Remove Uploaded Duplicates After Migrating To Lightroom CC
                                  selondon Level 4

Jao vdL

Lightroom CC does not understand the concept of a virtual copy. If you put the same image in multiple albums it generates a new complete copy of the file.

Do you mean in migration from Classic Jao? As adding to an Album in Lightroom CC itself just creates another 'alias', with one copy in All Photos. Also, I thought that a RAW uploaded through CC will overwrite the Smart Preview synced from Classic?

But yes, unfortunately 'Make a Copy' generates a new file

• 14. Re: Remove Uploaded Duplicates After Migrating To Lightroom CC

Also, I thought that a RAW uploaded through CC will overwrite the Smart Preview synced from Classic?

It should be we've seen quite a few reports where it didn't realize it was the same file.