4 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2008 11:26 AM by mtricomi

Publishing RoboHelp

mtricomi
      I am using RoboHelp HTML 6 using WebHelp for a Single Source Layout. I know that the layout has to be converted to WebHelp Pro in order for it to be a webpage, but my IS department is trying to publish this file to the server and are saying that they are unable to do so.

They contacted Adobe and they were told that they needed to buy additional software to publish the Help File. However, when they called back they were told that what we had is sufficient.

Can someone please tell me if additional software is needed to publish the Help File to our server? If what we have is enough, could someone layout the steps to publishing this file?

Thank You
        • 1. Re: Publishing RoboHelp
          RoboColum(n) Level 5
          Hi mtricomi and welcome to the RH community.

I think both you AND rather worryingly Adobe are getting confused between Webhelp and Webhelp Pro. Webhelp output can be published to a server straight out of the RH7 box. Webhelp Pro on the other hand requires you to purchase RH Server 7. The basic differences between the two products are described here.
          • 2. Re: Publishing RoboHelp
            mtricomi Level 1
            Thanks for the response.

Ok, so let's say that I leave my file as WebHelp using RoboHelp Version 6. What do I need to do to publish the file for users to be able to view the engine from the internet? My IS Department mentioned that they were unable to find a file to link to the server.

Sorry to sound so dense, but I was brought on to manage this project in mid-stream and I am working with an IS Department that is very busy with no time for my "little" project.
            • 3. Re: Publishing RoboHelp
              RoboColum(n) Level 5
              You are not "dense" mtricomi. We were all in your shoes at some point in the past so that is one word you won't find in there here parts.

If you have set your single source layout to Webhelp, you just go through the process of "generating" your output. Part of this process allows to "publish" the output to a set location. This can be a server location. The webhelp output contains a file (normally named projectname.htm - where projectname is the name of your project). This is the file to which your users link to.

As an aside, can you tell your IS Department the next time they want something from you that you have no time for their "little" affairs. Better still, kick butt. Just a thought!
              • 4. Re: Publishing RoboHelp
                mtricomi Level 1
                Thank you for your help Colum.