Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Retina Display UI Scaling for Photoshop 2018

Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm working with a retina display iMac and I just updated to CC 2018. I'm noticing that when I zoom in at 100%, I'm actually getting a 50% view. I went to UI scaling under preferences and the dropdown is grayed out. How do I adjust the screen view for retina displays?

Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 4.08.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 4.07.30 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi coryo,

Were you able to adjust the UI Scaling in Photoshop CC 2017? If yes, then please reinstall Photoshop CC 2018 and check if that helps.

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mohit,

Thanks for the reply. I was indeed able to adjust the scaling via the Preferences>Interface menu in CC 2017 but am no longer able to do so in CC 2018. I'll try reinstalling and see if that helps.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

coryo98169661  wrote

I'm noticing that when I zoom in at 100%, I'm actually getting a 50% view.

No, what you're actually getting, is a true 100% view - one image pixel mapped to exactly one screen pixel.

The other native Mac apps - just like most consumer-oriented apps - give you a 200% view, one image pixel mapped to four screen pixels. They do that to avoid complaints like this, and have everything display at the physical size people are used to.

Set Photoshop to view at 200%, and they will match, because that's what it is in those other apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply D Fosse.

Perhaps it is a true view pixel to pixel, but it doesn't seem to scale properly with a retina display. I'm a graphic designer and I know what 1920 pixels looks like on a screen, and I'm definitely getting half of that at 100% view.

Besides that, I still don't understand why I'm not able to adjust the scaling settings in Preferences>Interface. Regardless fo what Adobe thinks I should be seeing, I would like to have control over what I want to see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A 5K retina screen is 5120 x 2880 pixels.

This is how a 1920 x 1080 pixel image looks on a 5K retina screen, at 100% view:

retina1.png

If your 1920 image doesn't look like this, it's scaled up and not displaying at 100%

100% has nothing to do with physical size. It just maps pixel to pixel. And on a high resolution screen those pixels are smaller. That's the whole point of a high resolution screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey. I'm having the same issue.

I understand the reason why this happens, but I can't be working at 200% -or more- with everything getting pixelated.

Anyone knows where can I find the scaling option in Ps CC 2018? (and all other apps, actually)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lowgun  wrote

I can't be working at 200% -or more- with everything getting pixelated

It looks pixelated because it is. Screen resolution just dropped to 1/4th, your retina display just turned into a standard one. So yes, it's pixelated.

And this is exactly what these other applications do as well. There is no other way to do it! Think about it. The file can't magically increase resolution. It still has the same number of image pixels.

Now - Apple very likely employs some nifty algorithms to smooth out those pixels and make it look nice. They can do that. They get customers that way. Photoshop just cannot do anything like that. This is a professional-grade image editor, people depend on it to display accurately. It just cannot take liberties with the pixel data. I'm sure you understand that.

All that said, there is one area where, say, a web browser can handle this better than Photoshop can, and that is live (vector) text. A web browser can display text at full screen resolution even if the image it's sitting on is scaled. Any text in Photoshop is always displayed rasterized to the document's native resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I understand everything you've said. I am not questioning how the percentages work and I am aware that retina display is bigger.

But I still would like to be able to scale the UI, so you are not really answering my question.

Bottom line: Is scaling no longer an available option in CC 2018?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Precisely the issue that I started this thread with. Just waiting for a non-smug, non-arrogant, practical person to answer this very simple question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your question has been answered.

There are two parts

1. The user interface (i.e. menus, toolbars etc) can be scaled using Preferences >Interface >UI Scaling

2. The appearance on screen of 100% zoom will always use map 1 image pixel to 1 screen pixel. That is the way Photoshop as a pixel image editor works. If you want to map 1 image pixel to 4 screen pixels then choose view 200% (but you will of course see the individual image pixels)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, that sums it all up very succinctly.

I don't mind being called smug and arrogant. I've been called worse. I do, however, feel a very strong need to be absolutely clear on this, considering the general noise level and misinformation that always obscure the issues.

Apple is no real help here, BTW. They are the source for much of the noise and confusion.

Yes, I'm right about this, and I don't mind saying so. It's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks you've been a great help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please look at this screenshot for reference. You see the UI Scaling field? I could toggle that in 2017. No can do anymore with 2018.

Screen Shot 2017-11-15 at 2.37.32 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if this has been suggested before, but have you reset Photoshop's preferences-reinstalling does not reset preferences, it leaves them alone and so you have to do it yourself.

6.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Terri. I tried that as well as holding down shift+ctrl+alt+cmd on boot to reset prefs but the UI Scaling field is still grayed out 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

If preference reset, and your previous uninstall/reinstall has not restored your options then I would try the following:

Uninstall CC2018 run the Adobe CC cleaner tool, Reinstall CC2018.

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave,

I'll give that a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bah. Uninstalled, ran the cleaner, and still can't adjust scaling 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UI Scaling in the Photoshop>Preferences>Interface is a Windows only option.

For photoshop on the mac side, UI Scaling has always been greyed out, though many people have requested UI Scaling be available on the mac side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not true. It was adjustable in Photoshop CC 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not on the mac side.

You might be thinking of UI Font Size just above UI Scaling

From photoshop cc 2017 on mac os

2017-cc.png

Photoshop CC 2015 - UI Scaling Mac OS - stuck at 200% | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps it wasn't UI Scaling, but there WAS an option to change the scaling. I remember it distinctly as I was having issues with scaling on my retina display and was able to change it. So do other people as you will read above. Regardless, doesn't matter. We found a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a Scaling setting in the System Preferences>Display, but that affects all applications, not just photoshop.

imac-retina-el-cap-system-preferences-display-scaled.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks as if you are right Jeff. I came across this from Jeff Tranberry , the Photoshop products manager and he gives the same solution as you. I thought the Mac was supposed to be easy to use

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop-cc-2015-ui-scaling-mac-os-stuck-at-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines