5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2017 3:21 PM by dwarfland.com

Library Migration needs too much Space?

dwarfland.com

Hi, wondering if anyone else is seeing this/had a solution for this.

I have a ~500GB photo library in Classic, with the raw files located on an external disk attached to my Mac Pro. my Mac pro has 1TB SSD as main disk, with about 200GB free. The other day i tried to migrate my library to the "all new" Lightroom. After a few ours, it gave up, telling me i need "at least 662GB more space" on my *system* disk.

Now, that's never gonna happen, given the whole disk is "just" a TB. But really, why does LR need the extra space (a) on my system disk and (b) at all, too migrate the library? should it not just leave the RAW files in place where they are and *merely* add them to the new (cloud) library and upload them? Is it trying to duplicate all the raw files? Am i missing an option somewhere to avoid that (or, if unavoidable, at least to let it do so on a different disk)?

thanx,

mar

• 1. Re: Library Migration needs too much Space?
          Sahil.Chawla Adobe Employee

Hi Mar,

As you're getting the error regarding space while migrating the library, please try the steps mentioned below and let us know if it helps:

Error: Not enough disk space to complete the migration. Lightroom CC needs enough space to copy your photos and videos before uploading to the cloud. 

Solution: Before Lightroom CC can import your photos and videos, it copies them to a new location on your local system. Over time, as they are backed up to the cloud, Lightroom CC may remove these large, original files and replace them with smaller smart previews to save disk space. However, this initial copy operation can require a lot of space.

If you see this error, you may want to direct Lightroom CC to store original files on a separate drive.

1. In Lightroom CC, go to Edit > Preferences (Windows) or Lightroom CC > Preferences (Mac).
          2. Choose the Local Storage panel. Now, click Change Location to select a drive with at least the amount of free space recommended in the above error message.

Regards,

Sahil

• 2. Re: Library Migration needs too much Space?
            dwarfland.com Level 1

Thanx. it's unfortunate that the duplication is needed at all, but this shock get me going.

• 3. Re: Library Migration needs too much Space?
              Dnelson024

I have the same issue (insufficient disk space) with my 250 GB library but changing to locations to an empty 1TB harddrive does NOT seem to work for me. I get the same failure message each time I try.

Any other solutions?

So far the new LR CC has been a total letdown. Migration doesn't work. No Collections support. No Smart Folder support. No custom metadata support. I love the idea of full-resolution cloud storage, but the loss of so much utility -- and simple FUNCTIONALITY!! -- suggests I should be seeking out a new photo management system entirely.

• 4. Re: Library Migration needs too much Space?
                Victoria Bampton LR Queen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Dnelson024  wrote

No Collections support. No Smart Folder support. No custom metadata support. I love the idea of full-resolution cloud storage, but the loss of so much utility -- and simple FUNCTIONALITY!! -- suggests I should be seeking out a new photo management system entirely.

If it doesn't have the features you need yet, it's not your time to switch yet. Make sure you put in the missing features as requests (ideas) at Lightroom CC | Photoshop Family Customer Community  This is very early days for this new Lightroom app, and the team are looking for our feedback on our priorities.

• 5. Re: Library Migration needs too much Space?
                  dwarfland.com Level 1

FTR, changing the setting did work for me, i was able to migrate my library, now have two copies of all my images on two different external disks, and am waiting for Lihtroom to stop saturating my bandwidth and finish with the upload in about a week or so .

Agreed on being *a bit* disappointed w/ the regression of features, especially in the meta-data area (not even able to re-date some mis-dated photos? really?), but for me it‘s worth it; my main library has been stagnant on my desktop where i hardly work these days, and getting everything online and synced will be a great boon and allow me to revive working on old photos, on iPad or laptop.

But i do hope that this new and “early days“ version or Lightroom will iterate and improve *quickly*, not once per year (or less) as Classic has...

I‘ll make sure i‘ll log my feature requests.

Is there a way to get (back) on the beta train? i used to be a LR beta tester way before v1 shipped, but dropped out a few years back because i was just not active enough with LR anymore to give good feedback; would love to change that again...