33 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2018 3:27 PM by djb63402713

Removing photos from Lightroom CC

Thomas Wyser Level 1

How can I remove photos from the Lightroom CC without deleting them permanently? I just want to remove it from Lightroom CC.

• 1. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC
          alexcomeauphoto Level 1

No response?  Thanks Adobe!

• 2. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC
            Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can't. If you remove them they are deleted forever. If you want to keep them, you need to first export them to originals from Lightroom CC to another location before you delete them. This is the disadvantage of using a cloud-based system. The originals are in the cloud and deleting that deletes the originals.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC
              mike@op Level 1

Understood, but still unclear how far the deletion goes. You import images to LR CC from a folder. Are those cloud copy images with their associated local storage independent of those in the original folder? Or, in other words, if you delete images from LR CC, does that leave the original images in the source folder untouched or does it delete those too. And vice versa, if after importing into LR CC you edit or delete the image in the original folder, is the LR CC image affected?

• 4. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC

Deleting only deletes the copy in the cloud and the local copy if it is there. It doesn't do anything to any of the images from which you imported. After importing into CC there is no link to those images anymore so changing the files you imported from does not update them in CC nor does Lightroom CC modify them. Originals in CC are all stored in the cloud. Any local copies Lightroom CC puts in its designated folder are just copies.

5 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC
                  frederickb38578225 Level 1

there's a method to the madness of the migration after all!  The Classic catalog/library photos remain untouched by the new Lightroom CC, if I understand the reply correctly.

So I had 25K photos in my Lr Classic catalog. I migrated by adding a blank external SSD with a specified directory to be used for the migration copies. When the migration is done, I have full size originals in the cloud, full size originals in my Classic catalog, and something in-between in the external migration copies directory.

Correct?

• 6. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC
                    josege9876 Level 1

Have you found any solution to this? I'm in the same situation. I had my originals on NAS in Lightroom Classic, used a USB drive to do the migration and now my originals sit on my USB drive. Really don't want this situation, I want Lightroom CC to use ~20% of my main drive and no external.

• 7. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC

frederickb38578225  wrote

there's a method to the madness of the migration after all!  The Classic catalog/library photos remain untouched by the new Lightroom CC, if I understand the reply correctly.

Sorry for late reply. It seems I missed your original response but yes that is correct.

So I had 25K photos in my Lr Classic catalog. I migrated by adding a blank external SSD with a specified directory to be used for the migration copies. When the migration is done, I have full size originals in the cloud, full size originals in my Classic catalog, and something in-between in the external migration copies directory.

Yes that is true. After you are absolutely sure everything is uploaded to the cloud, you can safely delete the in-between copy you made on the blank external SSD and point the local storage directory back to your internal hard disk if you want. This leaves your Classic catalog untouched, uploads all originals to the cloud and makes Lightroom CC only download those raw files you need for editing.

• 8. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC

josege9876  wrote

Have you found any solution to this? I'm in the same situation. I had my originals on NAS in Lightroom Classic, used a USB drive to do the migration and now my originals sit on my USB drive. Really don't want this situation, I want Lightroom CC to use ~20% of my main drive and no external.

After everything is uploaded to the cloud (be really sure this has happened!) you can remove your USB drive and point Lightroom CC to your internal hard disk for local storage. It will only download what's needed up to approximately the amount you set in your preferences.

2 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC
                          josege9876 Level 1

Thanks! I closed Lightroom, pulled the drive, started Lightroom again and it said 'I miss my drive', there was a nice button with 'Forget that drive', after that, everything hunky dory!

• 10. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC
                            frederickb38578225 Level 1

Just a note--and I'm not certain this is correct. In my case, I first COPIED all my photos to an external SSD that had sufficient room to make duplicates, then uploaded from the SSD to Cloud. My main HD originals were never involved in the upload process apart from being copied previously to the external SSD.

• 11. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC
                              josege9876 Level 1

Same procedure here. My originals connected to Lightroom Classic are still on my NAS, untouched.

• 12. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC
                                hasansheikh Level 1

Hi, I have recently started using Lightroom CC. I flagged a bunch of photos I did not want to keep as "x" and permanently deleted them. When I go back to the folder on my Mac, I can still see them there. I thought by permanently deleting them, the photos will get removed from the local disk as well. Is there anything that I am missing?

P.S. I have been using a trial version of Lightroom CC and the trial has now expired. I would like to try out the Lightroom Classic CC before I decide to buy either of them. Is there a way I can import my photo albums etc and edited photos from Lightroom CC into Lightroom Classic CC?

• 13. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC
                                  Jim Wilde Adobe Community Professional

hasansheikh  wrote

Hi, I have recently started using Lightroom CC. I flagged a bunch of photos I did not want to keep as "x" and permanently deleted them. When I go back to the folder on my Mac, I can still see them there. I thought by permanently deleting them, the photos will get removed from the local disk as well. Is there anything that I am missing?

P.S. I have been using a trial version of Lightroom CC and the trial has now expired. I would like to try out the Lightroom Classic CC before I decide to buy either of them. Is there a way I can import my photo albums etc and edited photos from Lightroom CC into Lightroom Classic CC?

Which "folder on your Mac" do you mean? If you add photos to LRCC from an existing folder on hard drive, LRCC copies those images to a different location, from where they are uploaded. The original images on the hard drive are not "managed" by LRCC, only the copy that it makes for uploading are managed in accordance with whatever settings you have on the Local Storage tab of the LRCC Preferences. So if you are referring to the original folder, then yes they will not be deleted when you delete them from the cloud. If you are in fact referring to the local copy that LRCC made, they should get removed over time by LRCC.

Importing the photos/edits from LRCC to LR Classic should happen automatically when you launch LR Classic AND enable it to sync using the same credentials that you are using for your LRCC trial.

2 people found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC
                                    hasansheikh Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply. I was referring to the original images stored on the hard drive. I was not aware that LRCC only manages a copy of the original images. I am trying to use to sort out all the images I take before starting to editing them i.e. import them into LRCC, go through the images I do not need, and then delete them. Can this be done in LRCC? Or, is LR Classic CC more suited for this purpose?

• 15. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC

Once you get to the stage where you're importing NEW images into LRCC, either via mobile or from a camera/memory card into LRCC on the desktop, then there's no similar issue. Images from camera/card are copied into LRCC and uploaded/managed from there, and the original images will not be a factor as they'll be lost when you reformat/reuse the card.

So the only issue in terms of duplication is if you import an existing hard-drive based image collection, once they're imported and uploaded you have to figure out what to do with the originals. For such a scenario, you could take the approach that once they've been uploaded and backed up in the cloud, it would be safe to delete the originals from the hard drive (or a better option could be to archive them as a backup perhaps). But if you want to "manage" the filtering of that original set of images into keepers and rejects, then deleting the rejects from that original set, then that would be easier to manage using Classic (though to be honest once you have a better feel for how this all works, using either option shouldn't be too difficult).

• 16. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC
                                        SimLft Level 1

Hi everyone,

if i understand well :

1. you have old pictures on your hard drive (you are not importing from a camera or and SD card)
                                        2. you import them in Lightroom CC
                                        3. Lightroom CC does not just upload them in the cloud, it first copies the picture in another folder on your hard drive and then upload them
                                        4. if you delete a picture on Lightroom CC it will delete the copies it has made earlier but not the files in their original folder in your hard drive.

If it's how it works, that would be nice to be clearer in the software...

If the lightroom CC could only upload the picture and manages the pictures on the hard drive in their original folders that would be nice.

• 17. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC

Yes, your understanding is correct. It's done that way to avoid the risk of the user subsequently moving or deleting or renaming the originals before LRCC has completed the sync upload. It's the same principle that they use with the catalog migration tool....if you want to migrate the entire library from an LR Classic catalog, you will need free disk space in the chosen LRCC location that is at least equal to the total disk space used by the entire existing library.

Adobe are aware of the issue that this causes to users of large libraries, but only Adobe knows if it will change.

• 18. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC
                                            SimLft Level 1

Great ! That's much clearer now.

I made a quick test : deleting a file even from Lightroom CC on the phone, delete it on the PC if Lightroom CC is open or right after launching it.

So you can delete photo from your phone as you commute and it will delete the files on the computer right after starting Lightroom CC. That's great !

However, with my 300Go of pictures i would have to upgrade my licence (student, all apps) to go from 100Go to 1To which makes the price soares from 30€/month to a massive 72€/month.

42€/month is the price of 900Go it seems .

Adobe : check your prices, they do not seem logical sometimes.

• 19. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC
                                              hasansheikh Level 1

Hi Jim,

I had not synced my images to the cloud yet while using the LRCC trial, which has now expired. Is there a way I can access all my edits in the LR Classic CC? You mentioned by signing in I can access the LRCC edits, but since my photos had not been uploaded onto the cloud, these are not available in the LR Classic CC automatically as yet.

• 20. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC
                                                hasansheikh Level 1

Hi SimLft, when you say deleting the photos also deleted them from the PC, was it the originals that got deleted or just the copy of the originals LRCC creates?

Is there a way to access the copy of images LRCC creates on a Mac?

• 21. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC
                                                  SimLft Level 1

Hi hasansheikh,

it deletes the copy.

in fact we should not call it copy but "files imported with LRCC".

when you import from a SD card (what we called "original files"), LRCC makes a copy of the files on your hard drive.

when you import from files already on your hard drive (that means you already copied the "original files" from an SD card to your computer not using LRCC importation),  LRCC makes a copy of the files elsewhere on your hard drive (you can choose where).

I can access the copy of my picture on my computer running on windows. I can't see why wouldn't be able to find them.

For me it's a folder name something like that "6cb36ce72b204XXXXX561ffz10c57" within a "Lightroom CC" folder.

• 22. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC
                                                    hasansheikh Level 1

Hi Jim, did my question makes sense? Would really appreciate your input. thanks

• 23. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC

Which question? The one about accessing the edits via LR Classic? If so, then no I'm not sure I understand. If you didn't sync the images/edits to the cloud via any of the LRCC Apps, then there's no way to access the edits you made there.

But come back if I haven't understood correctly, which is possible. LRCC will sync automatically when you add photos into it unless the user manually pauses sync.....is that what you did?

• 24. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC
                                                        victorbiggs Level 1

that is absurd.  I'm sure it's true, but it's absurd

• 25. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC
                                                          RunWithScissorsRWS Level 1

Your photos may be saved, in a roundabout, this-is-likely-a-flaw-and-should-be-fixed way.

Look in your lightroom classic (if you have that package) for the photo.

Here's an explanation:

I took a sample photo with my phone.  Since I have lightroom on my phone, it uploaded the photo to the cloud.  This synchronized with lightroom CC and Lightroom Classic CC on my desktop (both open at the same time).

I opened their respective folders and could see the photo in the proper dated folder for each (they don't use the same one, and as far as I can tell, they CANNOT use the same one)

I edited the photo, changing the color.  Moments after clicking on the next photo, that edit moved to lightroom classic.  Awesone, and just what I want.

Now... we all have seen the warning when deleting images, that it says it deletes it from EVERYWHERE.  I deleted this photo from lightroom on the phone using lightroom.

I still have the original photo on the phone in the camera gallery.  I also have a copy in my lightroom classic CC folder on my desktop.

I've also tried this deleting from lightroom CC, and it works the same way.  Original photo on phone, and a copy of that original on desktop in lightroom classic cc folder.

That's why I think it's more of a flaw than a feature, I'm told it will delete it everywhere, but it leaves a copy?  What if I am cleaning up... do I now need to get some file or folder comparison software to figure out which photos in the lightroom classic CC folder are the orphaned ones so I can delete these as well?  If I don't want them, I really don't want them.  I'd rather it just mark them with a rejected flag or keyword metadata or something else that I can filter on and then delete manually, so I can actually delete that copy that was synchronized into this folder.

So what happens when I delete the photo from Lightroom Classic CC by flagging as rejected and deleting the maser from the disk?  That gets rid of all copies, except the original one taken on the phone. 

Just an FYI and I hope it helps some until it (hopefully) gets fixed. 

• 26. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC

RunWithScissorsRWS  wrote

That's why I think it's more of a flaw than a feature, I'm told it will delete it everywhere, but it leaves a copy?  What if I am cleaning up... do I now need to get some file or folder comparison software to figure out which photos in the lightroom classic CC folder are the orphaned ones so I can delete these as well?  If I don't want them, I really don't want them.  I'd rather it just mark them with a rejected flag or keyword metadata or something else that I can filter on and then delete manually, so I can actually delete that copy that was synchronized into this folder.

So what happens when I delete the photo from Lightroom Classic CC by flagging as rejected and deleting the maser from the disk?  That gets rid of all copies, except the original one taken on the phone. 

Just an FYI and I hope it helps some until it (hopefully) gets fixed. 

I don't think that the current behaviour is actually flawed, but it's certainly misunderstood by many, and I agree that the warning message is not as clear as it could be (Adobe have been made aware of our concerns and hopefully will react by improving the message). The message specifically means that when deleting an image from any of the LRCC apps, that image is deleted completely from the cloud ecosystem, which means that it will be removed ONLY from all/any LRCC apps (phone, tablet, web, and desktop). And that part works fine, but there are other places, as you have noted, where the image could still remain after that deletion.

Dealing with the issue of adding a photo to the cloud from your phone, and then subsequently deleting it....a lot depends on how you added the photo. If, for example, you used the LRCC camera to take the picture, then subsequent deletion should also remove that picture from the phone. If, OTOH, you used the phone's own camera app to take the picture, when you then import that picture to LRCC on the phone, the image is copied from the camera roll (or whatever it's called on Android phones) into the LRCC app's space. In this situation, subsequent deletion will remove the picture only from the LRCC app's space on the phone, it cannot also delete the image from the camera roll. Copies of images outside the LRCC app are the user's responsibility, LRCC cannot deal with that.

The same approach exists when you import images from a desktop folder into LRCC desktop....those images are copied into the local LRCC library from where they are uploaded to the cloud. The original images remain outside the LRCC app's control, and would not therefore be deleted if they are subsequently deleted from LRCC (i.e. the cloud and any locally stored copy under LRCC control).

Regarding Classic, if the catalog is sync-enabled any images added into the cloud ecosystem from any LRCC app will also download into Classic and will remain synced. Subsequently deleting a synced image from the cloud (i.e any LRCC app) will only cause it to be "unsynced" in Classic, and not deleted from Classic. Classic retains autonomy over all its cataloged images, even those downloaded via cloud sync....such synced images are regarded as simply another import source, and thus can only be removed/deleted from the Classic catalog.

So with the above in mind, trying to incorporate all that into one easily understood dialog box becomes a little tricky. This is how it looks today when deleting from the LRCC desktop app:

SpectrumConfirmDialog.png

If, for example, "All Synced Devices" was changed to read "The LRCC app on All Synced Devices" then that would technically be correct while remaining reasonably concise. Whether or not the full implications of that would be sufficiently understood (probably not by everyone) is another matter, so does the message also have to explicitly state the potential exemptions? I think that there are a few too many "ifs and buts" to do it concisely, so I don't envy Adobe the task of trying to improve the message so that it is totally understood by everyone.

FWIW, because I remain "Classic-centric" while also using the LRCC ecosystem as well, I control deletions by using the Reject Flag when I come across an image in LRCC that I want to delete, subsequently doing the deletion from Classic. But this problem doesn't arise for someone using only LRCC, and not Classic as well (which is possibly what Adobe expected would be the "norm" when the deletion message was first coded).

3 people found this helpful
                                                            • 27. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC
                                                              djb63402713 Level 1

@jim

So photos I upload using the LR app on my phone AND a SD card connected to my phone are uploaded to the cloud.

But is a copy put on the phone somewhere? Is a copy put on LR CC on my laptop when synced?

I thought the option of storing an original or a smart preview meant that if you didn't check those boxes [under SYNC Cloud (upper right corner), Setup up wheel (lower right corner), then Local Storage], then LR wouldn't store on your local device. Wasn't the whole idea of LR CC was to stop filling up our hard drives with images and get them into the cloud where we would access the photo from different devices?

Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 9.39.50 AM.png

After uploading photos via my LR phone app, I can see the photos on LR CC on my laptop, but I can't see where copies are stored on my laptop. Is there a preview cache somewhere?

Now, as soon as I open LR Classic, I see the images sync and begin to download to my laptop.  The images get stored in a file called Mobile Downloads.Irdata in a folder with a long file name. They weren't in there when I opened LR CC, only after I opened LR Classic.

So, are there TWO sets of images on my laptop, one for LR Classic and one for LR CC? If so, that's a lot of data taking up storage space.

Next, I can see that edits made either in LR CC on my phone or laptop flow thru when I open LR Classic, and vice versa. But if I open LR Classic on my desktop (as opposed to LR Classic on my laptop), will the changes made flow thru to all when synced?

• 28. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC

djb63402713  wrote

@jim

So photos I upload using the LR app on my phone AND a SD card connected to my phone are uploaded to the cloud.

But is a copy put on the phone somewhere? Is a copy put on LR CC on my laptop when synced?

What brand of phone? iOS or Android? With iOS devices, you can't import directly from SD card into the LR app, they are imported to the device's Camera Roll, from where they can then be imported into the LR app. The copy in the Camera Roll will always be there unless/until the user removes them, iOS restricts the app from doing that. The copy in the app will stay there until the files are uploaded to the cloud, after which they will be "intelligently space managed" by the app....meaning they may linger if the device is not space constrained, or if the user is accessing them frequently. Otherwise they will be removed and only downloaded again when required.

Not sure about Android, doubtless an Android phone user can answer that.

A copy will only be put on the your laptop by the LRCC app IF you have checked that option to "Store a local copy". Otherwise they won't be, and will be downloaded on an individual basis (and removed again) when required.

djb63402713  wrote

I thought the option of storing an original or a smart preview meant that if you didn't check those boxes [under SYNC Cloud (upper right corner), Setup up wheel (lower right corner), then Local Storage], then LR wouldn't store on your local device. Wasn't the whole idea of LR CC was to stop filling up our hard drives with images and get them into the cloud where we would access the photo from different devices?

That's correct, except that even if you have the option to store a local copy unchecked, LRCC will still need to initially copy any new imports (not sync downloads) onto a local drive. They are needed until they have been successfully uploaded to the cloud, after which they again will be "intelligently managed" (i.e. deleted when needed).

djb63402713  wrote

After uploading photos via my LR phone app, I can see the photos on LR CC on my laptop, but I can't see where copies are stored on my laptop. Is there a preview cache somewhere?

Assuming the option to store a local copy remains unchecked, of course you will still see the photos in LRCC after syncing (basically small previews which are downloaded automatically during the sync process), but a full copy of the original will only be downloaded as required, i.e. if you want to edit. Information about what type of file is held locally on the hard drive and up in the cloud is available in the lower part of the Info panel for a specific file. Yes there is a preview cache, that's in the local LRCC library (the Lightroom Library.lrlibrary package as per your screenshot).

djb63402713  wrote

Now, as soon as I open LR Classic, I see the images sync and begin to download to my laptop.  The images get stored in a file called Mobile Downloads.Irdata in a folder with a long file name. They weren't in there when I opened LR CC, only after I opened LR Classic.

So, are there TWO sets of images on my laptop, one for LR Classic and one for LR CC? If so, that's a lot of data taking up storage space.

Next, I can see that edits made either in LR CC on my phone or laptop flow thru when I open LR Classic, and vice versa. But if I open LR Classic on my desktop (as opposed to LR Classic on my laptop), will the changes made flow thru to all when synced?

Classic syncs differently.....a sync-enabled catalog will download full originals of all images uploaded to the cloud from any of the LRCC clients. They are stored locally, the default being the Mobile Downloads.lrdata folder, but you can change that location in the Classic Preferences>Lightroom Sync tab. Whether LRCC is open or not is immaterial.....Classic syncs to the Cloud, not directly with any of the LRCC apps (same with the LRCC apps, they don't communicate directly with each other, only via the Cloud).

Yes there could be two sets of images on your system, but only if you have checked the LRCC option to store a copy of your originals locally. FWIW, I have that option UNCHECKED on my LR Classic system, because I see no point in duplicating that data locally. In fact I very rarely open LRCC on my main system, most of my work on that system is done using Classic. I DO, however, use LRCC on my second system (and all my mobile devices), and there I do also have the store a local copy of originals option CHECKED.

The answer to your last question really depends on whether the catalog used on your desktop is a different catalog to that used on your laptop. Only ONE Classic catalog can be sync-enabled at any one time, so if your catalog exists on an external drive which you switch between your two systems then of course you'll see the edits no matter which system you are using, because you'd be using the same catalog on each. But if they are separate catalogs, then obviously only the sync-enabled catalog will see the synced files and edits.

• 29. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC
                                                                  djb63402713 Level 1

Ok. Happy to hear you confirm that copies of images are not "permanently" stored on my laptop with LR CC UNLESS I choose to do so by checking the option. This clarification is contrary to some comments above in this thread. Thanks for clearing that up.

Based on your response, in order to sync photos I've taken with my DSLR across ALL my LR applications, the prudent method is to CONSISTENTLY add/import these photos in the same way. In my case, I will attach an external SD card to my phone and add/import them using the LR phone app. Then they will go into the cloud and sync with Mobile Downloads.lrdata which gets synced across all my devices, including LR Classic.

If my objective is to sync everything across all my devices, then should it matter if I aslo import/add via LR CC by inserting an SD card into my laptop? I will get the same results for LR CC.  When I look at my Mobile Downloads.Irdata file I see there are two folders, one with files imported via my LR phone app, and another folder with all the files imported via my laptop. The only issue is the two methods show up in different spots on LR Classic - but both nonetheless are synced across my devices.

I didn't realize, that with LR Classic, I had the option of NOT choosing to store originals locally. If I uncheck the box will it remove copies that HAVE stored locally? Or  will it leave those there and just not continue to store originals locally?

You state: "Only ONE Classic catalog can be sync-enabled at any one time." I didn't realize that when I started using the products, so now I have multiple catalogs. Is it fairly easy to move items from one catalog into another catalog via Import? I would like to sync files across all my devices, and if having the same catalog on all my devices will do the trick, then that's what I'd like to do.

• 30. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC

djb63402713  wrote

Based on your response, in order to sync photos I've taken with my DSLR across ALL my LR applications, the prudent method is to CONSISTENTLY add/import these photos in the same way. In my case, I will attach an external SD card to my phone and add/import them using the LR phone app. Then they will go into the cloud and sync with Mobile Downloads.lrdata which gets synced across all my devices, including LR Classic.

You can import from any of the LRCC apps, and the end result will always be the same, i.e. the originals are uploaded to the cloud and then will appear (in preview form) in all of the other LRCC apps (with the option to download originals as needed). LR Classic is different, if you import there and sync the imported files, only Smart Previews are uploaded.

The last sentence suggests you're still a little confused. "Mobile Downloads.lrdata" is nothing more than the default location that LR Classic uses to store the original images that it downloads from the cloud after they have been imported into any of the LRCC apps.

djb63402713  wrote

If my objective is to sync everything across all my devices, then should it matter if I aslo import/add via LR CC by inserting an SD card into my laptop? I will get the same results for LR CC.  When I look at my Mobile Downloads.Irdata file I see there are two folders, one with files imported via my LR phone app, and another folder with all the files imported via my laptop. The only issue is the two methods show up in different spots on LR Classic - but both nonetheless are synced across my devices.

Correct, as I said you can import from any of the LRCC apps to get the images uploaded and then synced to all the other LRCC devices (and LR Classic). Yes you will see a separate folder in LR Classic for each LRCC device that you import into, unless you change the default location....that is what I do, so all my imports into LRCC download into Classic into my standard folder structure with the same dated folder scheme. I thus don't have any of those "Imported Photos" folders listed by LRCC device type.

djb63402713  wrote

I didn't realize, that with LR Classic, I had the option of NOT choosing to store originals locally. If I uncheck the box will it remove copies that HAVE stored locally? Or  will it leave those there and just not continue to store originals locally?

You state: "Only ONE Classic catalog can be sync-enabled at any one time." I didn't realize that when I started using the products, so now I have multiple catalogs. Is it fairly easy to move items from one catalog into another catalog via Import? I would like to sync files across all my devices, and if having the same catalog on all my devices will do the trick, then that's what I'd like to do.

I didn't say that there's an option to store originals locally in LR Classic. There isn't, because LR Classic can ONLY store images locally.

You can use the "Import from another Catalog" if you want to consolidate/merge catalogs into one. "Having the same catalog on all your devices" can really only be done (easily) by putting in onto an external drive which you switch between your laptop and desktop. There are more complex ways, such as using Dropbox or similar, but I don't know how well that works with the fact that only one catalog can be sync-enabled at any one time. But do you need to run Classic on both systems? Your main system could run both Classic and LRCC, but on the second system you just run LRCC. That still gives you access to all your pictures on both systems and avoids the complications of trying to keep Classic properly configured and synced on two different systems.

• 31. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC
                                                                      djb63402713 Level 1

Thanks Jim. Things are much clearer. Except for:

Jim Wild wrote:

"FWIW, I have that option UNCHECKED on my LR Classic system, because I see no point in duplicating that data locally."

Then in the next reply you write:

"I didn't say that there's an option to store originals locally in LR Classic. There isn't, because LR Classic can ONLY store images locally."

I see a contradiction between those two. Is there an option to NOT store images locally in LR Classic? (if they have been imported via LR CC or the LR app to the cloud?)

• 32. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC

Ah, I see where the confusion arises. In my post I should have clarified that I have that option to store a copy of originals locally unchecked in the LRCC app that is running on my LR Classic system, i.e. because LR Classic already has all the originals in its catalog, there's no point having a second local copy of them in LRCC on that same system.

On my other system, I don't run that same synced Classic catalog, so I use LRCC to access the synced images, and on that system it makes more sense to have that option checked.

Does that make things more clear?

• 33. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC
                                                                          djb63402713 Level 1

OK. Yes. That's clear now. Thanks.