11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2017 11:17 AM by josege9876

Removing photos from Lightroom CC

Thomas Wyser

How can I remove photos from the Lightroom CC without deleting them permanently? I just want to remove it from Lightroom CC.

• 1. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC
          alexcomeauphoto

No response?  Thanks Adobe!

• 2. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC
            Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can't. If you remove them they are deleted forever. If you want to keep them, you need to first export them to originals from Lightroom CC to another location before you delete them. This is the disadvantage of using a cloud-based system. The originals are in the cloud and deleting that deletes the originals.

• 3. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC
              mike@op

Understood, but still unclear how far the deletion goes. You import images to LR CC from a folder. Are those cloud copy images with their associated local storage independent of those in the original folder? Or, in other words, if you delete images from LR CC, does that leave the original images in the source folder untouched or does it delete those too. And vice versa, if after importing into LR CC you edit or delete the image in the original folder, is the LR CC image affected?

• 4. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC

Deleting only deletes the copy in the cloud and the local copy if it is there. It doesn't do anything to any of the images from which you imported. After importing into CC there is no link to those images anymore so changing the files you imported from does not update them in CC nor does Lightroom CC modify them. Originals in CC are all stored in the cloud. Any local copies Lightroom CC puts in its designated folder are just copies.

2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC
                  frederickb38578225 Level 1

there's a method to the madness of the migration after all!  The Classic catalog/library photos remain untouched by the new Lightroom CC, if I understand the reply correctly.

So I had 25K photos in my Lr Classic catalog. I migrated by adding a blank external SSD with a specified directory to be used for the migration copies. When the migration is done, I have full size originals in the cloud, full size originals in my Classic catalog, and something in-between in the external migration copies directory.

Correct?

• 6. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC
                    josege9876

Have you found any solution to this? I'm in the same situation. I had my originals on NAS in Lightroom Classic, used a USB drive to do the migration and now my originals sit on my USB drive. Really don't want this situation, I want Lightroom CC to use ~20% of my main drive and no external.

• 7. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC

frederickb38578225  wrote

there's a method to the madness of the migration after all!  The Classic catalog/library photos remain untouched by the new Lightroom CC, if I understand the reply correctly.

Sorry for late reply. It seems I missed your original response but yes that is correct.

So I had 25K photos in my Lr Classic catalog. I migrated by adding a blank external SSD with a specified directory to be used for the migration copies. When the migration is done, I have full size originals in the cloud, full size originals in my Classic catalog, and something in-between in the external migration copies directory.

Yes that is true. After you are absolutely sure everything is uploaded to the cloud, you can safely delete the in-between copy you made on the blank external SSD and point the local storage directory back to your internal hard disk if you want. This leaves your Classic catalog untouched, uploads all originals to the cloud and makes Lightroom CC only download those raw files you need for editing.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC

josege9876  wrote

Have you found any solution to this? I'm in the same situation. I had my originals on NAS in Lightroom Classic, used a USB drive to do the migration and now my originals sit on my USB drive. Really don't want this situation, I want Lightroom CC to use ~20% of my main drive and no external.

After everything is uploaded to the cloud (be really sure this has happened!) you can remove your USB drive and point Lightroom CC to your internal hard disk for local storage. It will only download what's needed up to approximately the amount you set in your preferences.

2 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC
                          josege9876 Level 1

Thanks! I closed Lightroom, pulled the drive, started Lightroom again and it said 'I miss my drive', there was a nice button with 'Forget that drive', after that, everything hunky dory!

• 10. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC
                            frederickb38578225 Level 1

Just a note--and I'm not certain this is correct. In my case, I first COPIED all my photos to an external SSD that had sufficient room to make duplicates, then uploaded from the SSD to Cloud. My main HD originals were never involved in the upload process apart from being copied previously to the external SSD.

• 11. Re: Removing photos from Lightroom CC
                              josege9876 Level 1

Same procedure here. My originals connected to Lightroom Classic are still on my NAS, untouched.