• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC 2018 High CPU usage on a MacBook Pro

Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just sharing this. I figured out a fix based on a similar problem.

I was running Creative Cloud 2018 on macOS sierra for several days with no problems. After updating to Mac OS X High Sierra, I started seeing high CPU usage from InDesign when idle. Typically InDesign would always use at least 100% of one core with no files open.

I deleted the application cache, ran the Onyx app to clear out a whole bunch of other stuff and this did not work.

To fix, I turned off GPU performance in the app's preferences and immediately CPU usage went back down to a reasonable level. I hope Adobe or Apple or both can get this fixed soon. I like the performance boost when using the GPU.

If anyone has another solution which would let me keep using the GPU in InDesign, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

This is on a MacBook Pro 11,3

Intel Core i7 processor

Total number of cores: 4

Graphics card is a built-in Nvidia GeForce GT 750M

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I hope this helps someone with a similar problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Typeadesign,

Thanks for mentioning this issue.

Please confirm if you are facing this issue after performing any specific step like export, applying any attribute to any object.

Also, can you please confirm with same steps have you ever faced this issue on Previous version of InDesign (when GPU is on)

Please share the above information.

Thanks

Monica Singh

InDesign Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Monica,

Here are a few more details.

Basically, on my Mac when GPU is on, it's like the minimum CPU usage of InDesign jumps to 100% and goes up from there. InDesign behaves "normally," if you will, except that there's an additional 100% CPU usage. So, if applying attributes to an object would normally cause the CPU to go up to 50%, CPU usage would be 150%. Exporting causes my CPU usage to skyrocket even more than usual. I use iStat Menus and Activity Monitor in the background to monitor all of this.

This has not happened with any previous version of InDesign for me that I can recall -- that would be at least several major updates.

Something I thought was not related but might be, I had recently removed the old FontXplorer 6.0.3 plugin from InDesign -- just dragged it into the trash from the plugins folder. The excessive CPU usage was occurring both before and after I did that. I mention this because I also started having high CPU usage with Photoshop which went away after I removed the old 6.0.3 plugin.

Thanks, Monica.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same issue with my Windows computer! The thing is a tank so I /know/ that InDesign CC is not causing it to break a sweat.

This happens even AFTER I close InDesign - the process will stay running, using almost 100% CPU for no reason!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monica, has this issue been investigated in some way or another? It still persists for me, the idle load for InDesign CC2018 is exactly 100% of CPU ± 1%. Not sure there's something wrong with my machine (tech specs are mentioned earlier in this thread, not a single app gives me problems like this one). I really need this to be resolved as this is starting to cause compatibility issues between file versions with people I work with. Thanks!

UPD 29.01.2018

The issue resolved on itself after reinstalling CC2018 version a couple of times, not sure if that's due to a fix on Adobe's side or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It fixed itself after a reinstall? How many times did you try that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, I needed to open one specific file in CC2018 and installed it instead of my CC2017, then I went and added CC2017 separately so that I ended up with 2 versions on my machine, then after working with that Indesign file in CC2018 at over 100% load I deleted that version to save some space, but then accidentally installed it once more – it worked like a charm since then. Not sure if there's a chance of me changing anything in the settings of my laptop that caused it, it somehow resolved and I have no clue how.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with ID CC 2018. It seems to take around 15 min for the CPU of my MacBook to ramp up to 100%, and then it renders the software to be unusable. I turned the GPU off, but it's not helping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue on my MacBook Pro, same configuration as topic starter's except the graphics are Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB. When I start Indesign CC 2017 CPU goes to around 40% while you see the splash screen and then it drops to just a percent or two, with CC 2018 it goes to around 170% and then slowly drops to around 100%, and that’s if it’s in background. When working it’s way over 100%, all the time. Turning off GPU performance did not help. Going back to CC 2017 for now, but would really like to be able to use 2018 some day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

500% CPU Usage in Indesign on iMac with High Sierra, no matter if GPU or CPU rendering is active, no big task open or anything. Interesting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just finish 136 page catalogue, with a lot of tables. It was nightmare... Indesign 2018 is so slooooooow on my MacBook (13 with touchbar - I think good one). I tried to work on my old pc (7 years maybe, with I5, win10). The last two days of work I have done on this PC. On this computer indesign works like a charm!

During these two days I cleaned my Mac, fresh HighSierra, fresh indesign... No change at all... What is important: this problem applies only Indesign... I'ts the worse version since a have my Mac, probably since CS3. Spinning cursor, every click is blocking indesign for seconds...

Now, I'm workin on old pc instead of my super duper 2000 USD, MacBook... And, from my point of view, this is my advise: if you need fast and efficient Indesign 2018 switch to PC. At least a this moment...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines