5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2008 5:03 AM by lbmbrian-KFzRtn

remove area around content when importing

lbmbrian-KFzRtn
      i have a png with a transparent background. when importing from fireworks into my flash cs3 library, the symbol now contains all the 'blank area' around the item i need.

is there a way of removing this blank content easier/more effecient than breaking it apart and erasing the un-needed content?
        • 1. Re: remove area around content when importing
          Level 7
          lbmbrian wrote:
          > i have a png with a transparent background. when importing from fireworks into
          > my flash cs3 library, the symbol now contains all the 'blank area' around the
          > item i need.
          >
          > is there a way of removing this blank content easier/more effecient than
          > breaking it apart and erasing the un-needed content?
          >

Everything within computer is within rectangular boundaries. So regardless whether
          you make something transparent, it is still there, just not visible, but still there.
          Also make sure that you do not export stage but selection only so the rectangular shape
          will be limited to the size of the item. Not larger than that...

--
          Best Regards

Urami

--
          "Never play Leap-Frog with a Unicorn."

<urami>
          If you want to mail me - DO NOT LAUGH AT MY ADDRESS
          </urami>
          • 2. Re: remove area around content when importing
            clbeech Level 3
            right on urami - no doubt.

but one might be able to create a vector of it using traceBitmap. however it will still have a bounding box...
            • 3. Re: remove area around content when importing
              lbmbrian-KFzRtn Level 1
              thanks guys, but the bounding box really isn't the issue, it's that the bounding box is the size of the roll over active area, instead of the image within that bounding box.

when i break apart the image, and then delete around the image, the symbol is still located in the bounding box, but now the area around the image, but still within the bounding box is no longer active on the rollover

i was just curious if there might be a more effecient way to lose the white content around what i want rolled-over

sorry if that makes no sense whatsoever!
              • 4. Re: remove area around content when importing
                clbeech Level 3
                well since you put it that way...

you can use the 'hit' state of a button instance to draw a shape that will serve as the 'hot spot' for the item. if the item is an MC, then you can draw a shape, convert to a symbol, and then use:

my_mc.HitArea = my_shape;

either way it will do what you looking for in the case you've now described.
                • 5. Re: remove area around content when importing
                  lbmbrian-KFzRtn Level 1
                  thanks, that is what i was looking for