2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2017 10:03 AM by Kevin-Monahan

Version Naming: Number or Month-Year?

brendan_cafe

Does Adobe have any efforts to have consistent version naming conventions?

How are users supposed to follow Application-dialog-box instructions if Adobe does not follow consistent version naming conventions?

The application itself will ask for a specific version (i.e. you need Adobe After Effects version 15.0), but the release notes for Adobe After Effects updates do not have any version numbers and instead use month-year nomenclature, like "October 2017 Release."

This page:

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/whats-new.html

Does not mention version numbers at all.

Is it possible to include the version number in the release notes?  Or is it possible to include the Month-Year release name in the dialog box warnings in the application?  Or is it possible to create a version mapping resource somewhere that is more up to date than wikipedia?

Thanks,

Brendan

• 1. Re: Version Naming: Number or Month-Year?
          BartonGarrett256 Level 3

Me, I'm thrilled that this year's release has the actual year in the name.  The 2016 versions of some product releasees were named 2015. Even the trainers, folks who make a living off working with Adobe,  were saying "come on guys, what were you thinking?"

Celebrate little victories...

• 2. Re: Version Naming: Number or Month-Year?
            Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Brendan_Cafe,

• Does Adobe have any efforts to have consistent version naming conventions?
            • How are users supposed to follow Application-dialog-box instructions if Adobe does not follow consistent version naming conventions?
            • Is it possible to include the version number in the release notes? 
            • Or is it possible to include the Month-Year release name in the dialog box warnings in the application? 
            • Or is it possible to create a version mapping resource somewhere that is more up to date than wikipedia?

Please voice your concerns to the development team here. This is not a support issue I can take action on. I will pass on your excellent points, though.

Thanks,
            Kevin