3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2017 8:08 AM by MichelBParis

Catalog vs. Pictures Library (Windows Explorer)

jenniferlaufer Level 1

I'm going to be moving my photo files to a new Windows 10 computer and also upgrading from Adobe Elements Photoshop 10 to 15. I have backed up my Adobe Photoshop catalog to an external drive and will restore to my new computer as Adobe has instructed. My old computer (Windows 7) has a large Windows Explorer Pictures library with photos connected to the Adobe catalog as well as various folders containing the photo files. Will restoring my catalog onto my new computer recreate my Windows Explorer Pictures library just as it appears on my new computer or is it better to move Pictures library onto my new computer separately as well?

• 1. Re: Catalog vs. Pictures Library (Windows Explorer)
          MichelBParis Adobe Community Professional & MVP

jenniferlaufer  wrote

I'm going to be moving my photo files to a new Windows 10 computer and also upgrading from Adobe Elements Photoshop 10 to 15. I have backed up my Adobe Photoshop catalog to an external drive and will restore to my new computer as Adobe has instructed. My old computer (Windows 7) has a large Windows Explorer Pictures library with photos connected to the Adobe catalog as well as various folders containing the photo files. Will restoring my catalog onto my new computer recreate my Windows Explorer Pictures library just as it appears on my new computer or is it better to move Pictures library onto my new computer separately as well?

Just pay attention to the options in the Restore process: tick the checkbox to keep the original folder structure (default choice). You could restore that structure under another custom master folder like 'My Photos' (for instance to restore on an external drive).

• 2. Re: Catalog vs. Pictures Library (Windows Explorer)
            jenniferlaufer Level 1

Thank you. If I run into any issues with installing the Adobe Photoshop Elements 15, will there be phone support available and if so for how long? Does the warranty/support begin when I activate the software? Thank you.

• 3. Re: Catalog vs. Pictures Library (Windows Explorer)
              MichelBParis Adobe Community Professional & MVP

jenniferlaufer  wrote

Thank you. If I run into any issues with installing the Adobe Photoshop Elements 15, will there be phone support available and if so for how long? Does the warranty/support begin when I activate the software? Thank you.

1 - Only the latest version is officially supported. It's PSE 2018.

2 - Forget phone support, the usual and effective way is support by chat (typically for installation and licensing)

3 - You'll get more support in the present forum, including from Adobe staff.

4 - The best advice is to download a trial version to see if it works well. Same functions, limited to 30 days. If you decide to buy, you don't have to reinstall, you simply enter the license key.