• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why Adobe Bridge is not fully using the system resources when rebuilding cache.

Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Bridge keeps rebuilding cache for various reasons. Fine. I learned to live with it's illogical behaviour.

But why during the cache rebuilding only one of 8 cores is being used and both drives - images drive and cache drive - are used 10-20%.

Why in 2017 can't you use multiple cores in the simple cache building operation?

I have spend a lot of money on modern superfast hardware and Bridge refuses to use it. I could buy fater SSD but what for if the bottleneck is one-core usage by bridge?

Please instead of some UI enchancements in some Adobe Stock workflow bla bla - focus on the basic core functionality that every user of Bridge is struggling with.

EVERY computer nowadays have multiple cores! Come on!

Also please increase max cache size - it's capped at 500000 and there are using with more than that - and that result in constant rebuilding.

Other that that thank you for amazing product that is core of my company workflow

Maciek

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recall that I reported similar problem 2 years ago.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1963358

Can't believe it has not been adressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that noone answer this. Perhaps I should rephrase the questions:

1) Is bridge designed to use multiple cores during cache building?

2) If answert to 1 is YES than what may be reason that it's not not using multiple cores

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the answer

I've read the 4-years threads.

Please keep in mind that we are paying monthly for the software that is supposed to be worked on. In small company where I worked as software engineer for 15 years - it was consider a major bug not to utilize client hardware to the fullest.

I see that you have designed cache to be single thread operation. That was fine.

That was fine 10 years ago. Nowadays we have processors of 10 and more cores in photographers desktops.

Now how can you persuade anyone to use the software that is using 1 core to generate previews of 2000 46mpx files?

Now if only this could be done once. But Bridge cache is so buggy it need to regenerate from time to time.

It is a _major_ workflow bottleneck.

I tried to switch to lightroom but I noted that it also generates previews so it's was the same problem.

That is simply embarassing.

Please take it to some decision level meeting. Developers will always say its too difficult and won't bring any improvent.

But really if you can generate a preview of one file in 10 seconds on one thread. You can generate 10 files in 10 seconds using 10 cores.

Of course there will be limit by IO operations speed - but again. 10 years ago that would be argument.

Now we have blazing fast SSD that can hanle 10 file reads and writes quickly.

Please instead of showing me 4 year old answers that it can't be done - consider improving your code.

Regards,

Maciek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines