26 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2018 8:59 PM by whsprague

2nd Monitor in new LightRoom CC

jwm2g Level 1

I can't seem to find a button to enable my 2nd monitor in the new Lightroom cc.  Am I missing something?  Surely this was not removed (???)

• 1. Re: 2nd Monitor in new LightRoom CC
          whsprague Adobe Community Professional

I don't see it either.  Remember that the "new" Photoshop Lightroom CC is so new it is in version 1. 

The replacement for the "old" Photoshop Lightroom CC is now called "Lightroom Classic CC" and it continues to have an option for a second monitor.  Nothing was removed.  

If you are accustomed to the tools, menthods and work flows of the "old" Lightroom CC we've had for years, stick with it and don't switch.  Continue with Lightroom Classic CC.  

• 2. Re: 2nd Monitor in new LightRoom CC
            aarons51508452 Level 1

I wish there was 2nd monitor... Adobe please fix.

• 3. Re: 2nd Monitor in new LightRoom CC
              abruzzopat Level 1

Thanks. If Adobe is planning to sunset "classic" they better add dual monitor support to the "new" Photoshop. Until then, forget it.

• 4. Re: 2nd Monitor in new LightRoom CC

Adobe has not said they are going to "sunset" the folder based Classic version.  That may be a rumor, but Adobe has emphasized continued investment in Classic development.

• 5. Re: 2nd Monitor in new LightRoom CC
                  selondon Adobe Community Professional

You can add your vote to the feature request for

having second monitor support here:

Lightroom CC: Allow for a second monitor | Photoshop Family Customer Community

It only has two at the moment  

• 6. Re: 2nd Monitor in new LightRoom CC

You already have it!  Remember this is cloud based and syyncronized.  Display the photo on one device and adjust it on the other.  I works!  I just did it.  Two screens!

• 7. Re: 2nd Monitor in new LightRoom CC
                      abruzzopat Level 1

Thanks everyone for your responses. I've had some time to use the "new version" a bit more and here are some comments.

1. They need to come up with a better naming scheme so that we don't have to call it "new version". (-;

2. I hope the classic version doesn't go away anytime soon, because there are things in classic that are not in "new".

3. It seems unlikely that Adobe's long term strategy is to continue to have two products which serve the same purpose and have confusingly similar names. So I worry about classic being neglected.

4. I do like the portability of "new" which allows me to move from device to device. Very cool feature, but for now my real workflow will be done on my dual monitor desktop machine.

whsprague: Not sure I understand what you mean... I tried loading a photo via the browser in one monitor and using "new" on the other monitor to edit... the pic on the browser side did not sync. Can you clarify what you did? Thanks!

• 8. Re: 2nd Monitor in new LightRoom CC

1.  Yes.  Not only did their naming department cause incredible confusion, it also caused the rumor to start that the classic version was being retired or replaced.   Try searching for techniques on YouTube!

2.  Note that at the time of the name change, folder based LR Classic CC got some significant improvements.   That would not happen if it was going away.  (But no, I don't have inside information.)
                        3.  They don't serve the same purpose.  They are aimed at different customers.  Classic is aimed at people who are serious about classic cameras and classic processing, even printing.  The new one is aimed at the emerging market of mobile device photographers, or at least mobile photographers that still use some classic cameras.  Many photographers no longer even have printers!

4.  Multiple devices is fun. 

"Dual Monitors" was a "test" with the intention of a little humor.   I opened an image in LR CC (ex LR Mobile) on my phone.  I opened the same image in (new} LR CC on my Windows laptop.  I made a major, over exaggerated exposure adjustment on the laptop.   It took a few seconds on a fast internet connection, but the adjustment showed up on the phone.  I "reset" the image on the laptop and several seconds later it synced on the phone where the image was back to normal.  It was like having two monitors.  I did the "work" on one and the results displayed on the other, but with one reacting slowly.  I suspect if we get to the era of super fast internet connections, the lag will not be there. 

Bill

• 9. Re: 2nd Monitor in new LightRoom CC
                          Spiketrain Level 1

Yes - still waiting for an answer on this... I'm using Lightroom CC Classic (latest iteration as of Jan 2018) and the famous Julieanne Kost tutorial on this link teaches you to click on monitor 2 in Library view. I don't have this button for some reason - so I've fallen at the first hurdle... will continue to look around the app to see what I've either turned off... or LR have moved (she is using an earlier version). But surely, they won't have binned the feature!

EDIT: - Didn't take long! - Found it! - just go to Window / Secondary Disply / Show or Cmd F11. Looks fine... except actually I was hoping to have more of a develop mode on main screen with the palettes on the secondary.... and this isn't really what it's set up for... but hey... it's all still there!

• 10. Re: 2nd Monitor in new LightRoom CC

Spiketrain  wrote

Found it! - just go to Window / Secondary Disply / Show or Cmd F11.

Thanks for posting that you found it!

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: 2nd Monitor in new LightRoom CC
                              paula78214631 Level 1

Are you using PC or Mac? I don't see a Window option?

• 12. Re: 2nd Monitor in new LightRoom CC

More name confusion!  The "Window / Secondary Disply / Show or Cmd F11" procedure is for (computer/file based) Lightroom Classic.  You won't find it in (cloud/mobile based) Lightroom CC.

• 13. Re: 2nd Monitor in new LightRoom CC
                                  ziroplu Level 1

Is there still no 2nd monitor in the new Lightroom CC (What a silly name, new CC..)

• 14. Re: 2nd Monitor in new LightRoom CC
                                    ziroplu Level 1

It's not there in my Mac Version of the new CC. Do you use the old CC (new Classic?)

• 15. Re: 2nd Monitor in new LightRoom CC
                                      Randall H Level 1

Absolutely baffling to not have this enabled.

• 16. Re: 2nd Monitor in new LightRoom CC

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Randall+H  wrote

Absolutely baffling to not have this enabled.

No it is not!  The new, cloud Lightroom CC is being built for the cross platform process ranging from phone, to tablet, to web and computer.  How would a second monitor fit in to the first three.  To keep it somewhat consistent across all four, you won't get dual screens.

Lightroom Classic CC is file/computer based.  It has dual monitor capability and it makes sense there.

• 17. Re: 2nd Monitor in new LightRoom CC
                                          jwm2g Level 1

So we are now only going for the lowest common denominator???  It is totally asinine to say that we can't have a function on a more capable computer just because that capability is not on a phone. (How many professional photographers edit a full wedding on phone????).  If that's the case I think we should declare all web browsers and web sites should only support no greater than 2 inch wide screens no matter what size monitor you have just because it might be read on a phone.... COME ON....!!!! How about... if there's a second monitor, USE IT.  If there's not a second monitor, don't use it.  This isn't rocket science.

• 18. Re: 2nd Monitor in new LightRoom CC
                                            Randall H Level 1

So why allow it

1) To be installed on desktop machines - but not use their capabilities
                                            2) Allow it to use graphic card acceleration - how many great graphics cards in tablets or phones?

• 19. Re: 2nd Monitor in new LightRoom CC
                                              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>How many professional photographers edit a full wedding on phone????

If you are a pro, Lightroom CC is probably not for you. It can be used in a pro setting but it simply misses almost every feature that a pro would need (no printing, no publish services, no virtual copies, no hierarchical keywording, no export to anything but jpeg, no dual monitors, no sharing to anything but Facebook, inability to effectively deal with very large numbers of images due to typical upload bandwidth limitations, etc etc. etc. For a long time, Classic is going to be it for the pro crowd.

Lightroom CC is targeted to a different audience. It is the iPhone shooter crowd that wants absolute max quality from their shots and it is the folks that value access to all images on any machine above all else. These are folks that absolutely do not want to know what happens behind the scenes as long as they can get to their pictures everywhere and on any device they own. Lightroom CC also presents a simplified and easier to understand interface to novices which is the main problem for increased Classic adoption. Having taught quite a few Lightroom classes to hobbyist and even to more advanced photographers it is quite obvious that Lightroom Classic is very intimidating and complex to folks who haven't worked with the program from the very beginning. Lightroom CC presents a much easier to understand paradigm. The simplicity and accessibility thing is clearly a major driver behind CC and I am sure Adobe is driven to keep it that way so feature bloat is not something they will want.

Lastly, I would point out that you can use a Classic and CC combination to get the best of both worlds. Classic is my main repository and main editing platform and I sync selectively to Lightroom CC from there and sometimes edit these images on an iPad (it's quite convenient and nice to directly manipulate an image on a tablet and editing smart previews works just fine). On travel when I don't want to lug a laptop, I import into the iPad into Lightroom CC and when I get home, all my images are already synced down to my Desktop in Classic.

• 20. Re: 2nd Monitor in new LightRoom CC
                                                Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1) To be installed on desktop machines - but not use their capabilities

The point of CC is that it behaves exactly the same on any platform you use it on and if you know one you can use the other. This necessarily means dealing with the lowest common denominator problem. CC is best understood as basically a port of the mobile app to the desktop.

2) Allow it to use graphic card acceleration - how many great graphics cards in tablets or phones?

The mobile apps make heavy use of the GPUs to make the speed there bearable. Many of these mobile devices have surprisingly powerful GPUs. Lightroom CC would likely not be possible without doing that. This is to the point where on a good tablet Lightroom CC can actually feel more responsive than on a desktop computer.

• 21. Re: 2nd Monitor in new LightRoom CC

jwm2g  wrote

So we are now only going for the lowest common denominator???  ..... This isn't rocket science.

Not at all!  If you can get it figured out how Lightroom CC, Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop all work together in an "ecosystem" you might find it the highest common denominator.  The interrelationships are complex.  But you can do anything with any image.  If you open up the video options, it gets even more spectacular!

• 22. Re: 2nd Monitor in new LightRoom CC
                                                    jwm2g Level 1

Are you speaking as an authorized strategist for Adobe, or is this just

an opinion?  I hardly think Lightroom Classic and Lightroom CC rise to

the level of an ecosystem.  It's two products from different sources

that are intended to solve the same problem, and some marketing wizards

at Adobe have desperately attempted to come up with a strategy that says

"yeah... we MEANT to do that....".  As a product developer/manager for a

major computer company for well over 30 years, I know two things.... NO

company in their right mind is going to maintain two products from

different origins that are intended to solve the same problem ad

infinitum. They can not or should not support two development groups for

competing product strategies. and NO company (in their right mind) is

going to purposely limit functionality for the 'greater good' of some

previously-mentioned flimsy strategy.  You don't compete with yourself. 

The competition is "out there".  I completely understand migration

paths.  But if some 'strategist' thinks two products forever that have

to be explained to the user that do the same functionality is the right

way to go, sell your stock. (My apologies if that strategist is you...

but I still vehemently disagree).  IMHO, one of these products is going

away sooner or later.  Hopefully sanity will come back and all of the

needed functionality that is spread across both products will ultimately

merge into the one product.  But keeping two separate products as a

long-term strategy, if it is indeed the long-term strategy, needs some

different people providing input.

BTW.... the comment was made that it is impossible to have a second

monitor on a phone or tablet.  I've got an Apple TV that does that.  The

argument that CC can't have a 2nd monitor due to use on a phone does not

hold water.

• 23. Re: 2nd Monitor in new LightRoom CC

I fold.

• 24. Re: 2nd Monitor in new LightRoom CC
                                                        Randall H Level 1

Hi There whsprague and others. Just wanted to follow up and say I get what you're saying, I realise now I'm a victim of the awkward naming too.

I was updating my machine - saw Lightroom CC and assumed it was what I wanted when it fact it's Classic that I need.

Further to the discussion about Lightroom on mobile devices (and cross platform) I totally get it. While you might not edit a wedding on a phone I know there are other applications for it.

3 years ago I filmed the Volvo Ocean Race (video not stills) and the photogs there had ipads around their necks. They're taking shots during races. downloading to ipad and pushing them in virtual real time to social media. They would have LOVED to have been able to do some basic settings in LR before pushing to social media and then pick up where they left off on land when they had time for print versions etc. This new LR version will be a godsend for them.

I do think Adobe could have thought the names out better tho - the new kid on the block should have the new name - not the old app (IMHO). It's obviously confusing quite a few people but I'm sure we'll get used to it.

Cheers and peace to all.

• 25. Re: 2nd Monitor in new LightRoom CC
                                                          abruzzopat Level 1

jwm2g: That was quite a rant! You're even more irritated by this than I am! I also have software development experience and that's why this worries me... having two products with similar names and similar function is just not a typical long term strategy.

Maybe the new one just needs a new name... maybe "LightCloud"? Probably already taken...

• 26. Re: 2nd Monitor in new LightRoom CC

abruzzopat  wrote

.....Maybe the new one just needs a new name... maybe "LightCloud"? Probably already taken...

Actually, it had a great one!  It was called "Lightroom Mobile".