• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2018 fills up entire hard drive while in use!

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

the new Photoshop shows a fairly interesting error on my machine.

When I'm transforming a file with higher resolution, the transforming has always taken its time. But now it just keeps running until it eventually crashes and I have to restart Photoshop.

Also Interesting is that as soon as I start the process, Photoshop seems use up the empty space on my hard drive until it reaches its maximum. So here the timeline of what happens:

- the usual loading bar appears showing me the slowly advancing progress of rendering the transformation

- it keeps getting slower

- by that time the internal as well as some third party hard drive monitors start showing that my empty disk space is filling up rapidly

- when the disk is completely filled I start getting the spinning beach ball while hovering the mouse over Photoshop

- mean whilst the rest of macOS works just fine. I can open and close apps, surf in the internet and even watch Netflix

- after certain amount of time I usually force quit Photoshop, what immediately results in my disk freeing up to its usual 150GB of free space

So thats it. I used all the normal trouble shoots I'm aware of. Restarting, resetting PRAM, tweaking the performance setting in Photoshop, emptying my hard drive BUT nothing changed.

Of course I've heard of the computer using my disk as flexible RAM when it needs to, but really? 16GB RAM plus 150GB of SSD RAM aren't enough to finish a fairly simple process?

I´m using Photoshop 19.0 on a MacBook Pro 15" mid 15´, 2,2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris Pro running macOS High Sierra 10.13. Also I did a quick screencast of what happens and uploaded it.

Maybe you guys have any advice aside from reinstalling and resetting (all of which I have already done). A quick Google and forum search didn't`t help so here I am asking politely. Please forgive any horrible stylistic and orthographic mistakes I made, for I'm not a native speaker.

Best regards from Germany

Fabio

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fabio

I do not have an answer for you but I am experiencing much the same issue on my Mac, so much so that I now cannot use PS CC 2018 for more than 5 or 10 minutes before my Mac grinds to a halt. This is a really irritating issue and something that Adobe needs to sort out sooner rather than later. I hope that somebody with a lot more knowledge of these things than I can shed some light on why this is happenng, in the meantime, frustration reigns...!.

Regards

Huw (UK)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds as if it is using a lot of scratch space. What are your scratch disk settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

My scratch disk is set to my Mac HD only, should I make my external HD active only and not the Mac at all then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there is enough space on the external HD, this may well make things better. There could be a fault in Photoshop, or something you are doing that makes Photoshop think it needs to work with an enormous pixel size, but this at least could help the process finish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I'll swop it over and see how it goes from here. Many thanks for your time and advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Photoshop for over 20 years and have a very annoying bug with Photoshop CC 2018 - I have a 500 gig solid state drive that I meticulously maintain and I guard against filling it past a certain point - I always have 200 gig free for scratch disk use or for temporary use in moving files around. Recently, after I quit photoshop (I work in 2400 dpi as I am a cartoonist and illustrator, so my file sizes are gigantic, multi-gigabyte usually), the scratch disk  from Photoshop does NOT REVERT to visible storage space, instead, my hard drive shows a false number that is respected by the OS, which means that even after I reboot multiple times and clean my caches using Cocktail, the scratch disk usage remains.... Purging all makes no difference...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes the scratch disk space goes away in like half an hour or so. I would love to know a Terminal command to remove the scratch disk file ASAP....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2017 Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you expand on why you need 2400dpi as that is extraordinarily large for most purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah.

Rule of thumb: if your files are more than 10 000 pixels long side, you should think long and hard about why exactly you need that. If you can't come up with a good answer, you don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 10, 2017 Dec 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was curious about what the 2400dpi was for too so consulted Lord Google and since they said they were a cartoonist & illustrator...

"Magazine printing

For images printed on good quality paper using an offset press, the general rule is that the image resolution needs to be twice the screen ruling used to print the job. Magazines are typically printed using a 150 or 175 lpi screen ruling. This means images need to be 300 dpi. My bird picture is 3000 pixels wide, which means that for the best quality it can be printed up to 3000/300=10 inch wide.
Please note that a slightly lower resolution such as 220 to 250 dpi is also perfectly acceptable for most people. For high-quality jobs such as art books or for images containing critical patterns such as brick walls or clothing with a pattern in it, a higher resolution is sometimes recommended by the printer. Typically 400 dpi is used for such images.
The above rule applies to both color and grayscale images. The notable exception is line art, pure black and white drawings that contain straight or curved lines. Cartoons or logos are examples of line art. Such images need to have a much higher resolution. Most printers recommend 800 dpi as the bare minimum. Preferably resolutions of 1200 to 2400 dpi are used."

Image resolution - what is it & what to do with it

Every day's a schoolday

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HothWampa for the WIN.

"The above rule applies to both color and grayscale images. The notable exception is line art, pure black and white drawings that contain straight or curved lines. Cartoons or logos are examples of line art. Such images need to have a much higher resolution. Most printers recommend 800 dpi as the bare minimum. Preferably resolutions of 1200 to 2400 dpi are used."

You are the only one who wasn't confident in his/her knowledge and understanding. Yeah, I have been using Photoshop since the beta. I am still learning stuff, but basic stuff like line art resolution isn't one of them...

Anyway. Problem STILL exists. It is maddening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me a couple of times on Windows (CC2017). It wasn't using the entire drive but was using a hell of a lot all of a sudden. When I went to my scratch disk there was a huge PS temp. file  there even though Photoshop wasn't running. When I deleted it got rid of the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines