Try the following in this order (if any work stop there):
1. Go to Preferences >Performance > Graphics Processor > Advanced and uncheck Open CL. Test on a newly opened document
2. Go to Preferences and uncheck use Graphics Processor - if this works recheck it then change the advanced settings first to Basic , then normal and then advanced - testing each time on a newly opened document
3. Go to Preferences >General - Reset Preferences on Quit then close and restart Photoshop
4. Uninstall and Re-install Photoshop
Hi! I have already tried to reset the Photoshop preferences and it made no difference. I read somewhere in this forum that for others it has worked for one to three times, but for me it worked zero times. I am currently trying the suggestions of davescm and will let him know what happens.
1) The OpenCL was already unchecked in my preferences
2) Unchecking "Graphics Processor" did not fix the problem so I did not try the "basic/advanced" choices
3) Bingo! "Preferences > General > Reset Preferences on Quit" did it! I've tested only twice but both times it worked correctly and no error message!
Thank you very much, davescm!
Martin_Bns, I must have misread your reply to me the first time because on re-read I think what you were suggesting is that I go to "Preferences > General > Reset Preferences on Quit" and that did it! I had tried restoring default workspaces prior to this and it did not work, and that is what I was thinking of when I wrote my first reply to you. It turns out you were on the right track so thanks so much!
You're welcome. Glad you have it sorted.