• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom, Assertion Failed

Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am just so fed up with lightroom and database problems!!! Suddenly I had a message from lightroom it had to shut down due to an error and when I restarted I got the "Assertion failed" error. I have tried to delete the prferences file and I have restored diffrent backed up databases two weeks back, but nothing works. This is not ok Adobe, you have to make the databse more robust som we can rest assured about this...

What do I do now????

Another thing, why does it have to be so hard to find this support forum to get in touch with real people???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same symptom here....longtime LR user. Win 10, LR CC Classic....won't launch, thrown "assertion failed " error...

Opened a case with Adobe Monday AM at 8AM EST.....now 5 days+ later, no response or follow through. Was given a case number, my call back # was verified and they committed someone would be in touch with me about 24 hours later.

Meanwhile I can't run LR unless I downgrade so far my RAW files from an Olympus OMD EM1 Mark II can't be read.

Come on Adobe Support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First- we are not Adobe people in this forum, just other users. I sympathize with your poor support from Adobe.

There is a help page for "Assertion failed" at "Assertion failed" update error in Lightroom | Windows

Try and follow the advice there.

I believe the problem is caused by the virtual 'Library' folders that Windows File Explorer uses which are basically only links to the real physical folders.

Any time you import, never select one of these 'Library' folders but rather look for the correct full path to a folder. eg. C:\Users\Your Name\Photos Go Here.

Another example is "Desktop"  which has a full path like- C:\Users\Your Name\Desktop

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, have this problem on Windows 7 using the current Lr Classic (according to the updater, my installation of Lr is up-to-date).

When I launch Lr, the first thing that happens is that it displays a message in a black oval with white type in it saying which catalog it is trying to open. Next, a pop-up appears stating "assertion failed!" and an Ok button. Clicking the button makes the pop=up disappear, but nothing else.

I read and followed the directions in the article for Lr version 5.4. The registry entry for My Pictures is %USERPROFILE%\Pictures, and the corresponding directory exists.

I should note in case it makes a difference, that the location of the catalog Lr is trying to open is not in that location. But it's where it has been for many months, and the trouble only started after I let the Adobe Creative Cloud app update Lr.

Any suggestions would be most welcome; I obviously don't want to lose years of work in Lr by having to start over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Creative Cloud Desktop App to update CC apps.

"Assertion failed" update error in Lightroom | Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Copy your LR catalog file over to some other folder you know your user name has full control of.

You should manually create that folder through the OS File Manager program and call it something like LR C CC V7 Catalog file.

you might want to right click on that folder you created and select Properties then go to the Security tab and if your User Name is not listed and has Full control then click the Edit Button and add your  User name and give it Full control.

Also copy over the Previews folder to that same folder you copy the catalog to. Double click on the catalog file and LR should open and load that catalog.

Then in the LR Preferences make sure the section that is for Default Catalog, General tab of the preferences, is pointing to that catalog in that folder you just place and open that catalog from.

Properties Dialog.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines