16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2008 12:17 PM by Newsgroup_User

Cross Platform CD buring...

Hello all,

Any help on the following would be very much appreciated...

I have recently started using Director 11 on my PC, and am trying to create a disc that will run on a MAC. So I create the Projector, following the instructions, but I am afraid I am at a loss as to what to physically burn to CD in order to make the projector work. As far as I can see, creating a MAC projector simply creates a folder called 'projector_name.app'. Yet when I burn this to CD and stick the CD in a MAC, nothing happens and nothing will open.

Please excuse my newbie ignorance - but could someone please let me know how I am supposed to be doing this, step by step? The Adobe help files are not, despite their claims, very helpful!

Once again, any help would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

SJP

• 1. Re: Cross Platform CD buring...
          Level 7
          What problem are you having specifically? When you say 'nothing
          ahppens', do you mean that the CD doesn't even show up on the Mac? Or
          it shows up but empty? Or you see the program but it doesn't work? Any
          error messages?

I just tested a very basic projector that I made in D11 in Vista. I
          published the projector as both Mac and PC. I burned those projectors
          to a CD using Nero using all defaults, nothing special, nothing fancy.
          I put the resulting disk into several machines, both Mac and PC and the
          projectors worked fine. The icon on the Mac projector (the .app file)
          was completely wrong, but that is par for the course and can be easily
          fixed if you have access to a Mac. But the projector worked just fine.

The "correct" way to burn a x-plat disk would be to use a program like
          Toast on the Mac which lets you make separate partitions for the Mac and
          PC stuff. That way, the PC users do not even see the Mac stuff and the
          Mac users do not see the PC stuff... but the shared files are available
          to all. Toast makes this very easy. I have heard that there are
          similar programs to burn x-plat disks on Windows, but I have never heard
          anything good about them as far as ease of use. Toast is excellent.
          • 2. Re: Cross Platform CD buring...
            robdillon Most Valuable Participant
            Can you play the Mac projector directly? Do you have a way to test the Mac projector before you commit it to the CD?
            In order to write a CD that will play on both Windows and Mac, you need to create a hybrid CD. The best method for this is to use Toast on a Mac to write the CD. Toast will create both a Mac and an ISO 9660 partition for you to place the files for each platform. You can't just write the Mac projector to a CD on Windows and expect it to work.
            1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Cross Platform CD buring...
              Level 7
              Rob Dillon wrote:
              You can't just write the Mac projector to a CD on
              Windows and expect it to work.

Actually, you can. With D11, it no longer creates a hqx archive of the
              executable binary. With D11, the projector is a proper Mac bundle (with
              the extension .app) and it can live on a non-Mac file system without
              getting corrupted. At least my (very) small tests have all worked fine.
              Just make the Mac projector using the PC version of D11, then burn it
              in Nero on a PC. Bring the disc to a Mac and it works. It is not a
              hybrid CD of course, so the PC and Mac stuff will all be in the same
              folder and visible to all, but the Mac projector still works.

It is still a better idea to go ahead and use Toast on a Mac since it
              will create a proper hybrid CD, but in a pinch, it is no longer a
              requirement.
              • 4. Re: Cross Platform CD buring...
                Thanks for your input.

OK - I too just created a very simple Projector to test this.

I burned the entire contents of my project folder to disc, using Nero, so that the CD root looks like this:

1. 'collateral' folder (inc. all my PDFs)
                2. 'Cross Platform Resources' folder (inc. Mac Xtras)
                3. 'grpahics' folder (inc. all the graphics for the CD)
                4. 'Xtras' folder
                5. Autorun.inf (obviously for PCs only)
                6. film.mpg (my MPEG file)
                7. 'test.app' folder containing, I guess, everything the MAC needs
                8. test.exe (obvilously for PCs)

So I've burned the disc - put it in a PC and it works fine - autostarts, all the PDFs open, video plays, links work - all fine.

I stick the same disc in the iMAC I'm using to test (looks like an old one using Mac OSX 10.2.8)…

Firstly, it doesn’t auto-start, which is fine because I’ve no idea how to make it do so on a MAC. So I open up the CD icon to see whats on the disc. On the disc, I see the contents of the disc, as listed above. When I try to open the test.app, nothing happens at all. In fact, the file does not show .app after it the file name. When I click it, it looks like it tries to open in Apple Works, but quickly gives up.

One more thing…

When I try the disco in one of our test PCs (Windows 2000), instead of autostarting I get the following message, which also appears when I try to double click the .exe. icon in Explorer:

Test.exe – UNABLE TO LOCATE DLL
                The dynamic link library gdplus.dll could not be found in the specified path.
                D:\;.;C;\WINNT\system32;C:\WINNT\system;C:\

Any ideas are more than welcome!

Kind regards.

• 5. Re: Cross Platform CD buring...
                  Level 7
                  First of all, there is no autorun on Macs. Since OS X, you can't make a
                  CD autostart. From my point of view, that is great. So don't worry about
                  trying to make it autostart on Mac... it won't.

Are you sure that the error message you get on that Win2k box is about
                  'gdplus'? From what I can see, that is a dll relating to Google
                  Desktop. There is a 'gdiplus' dll file that is a standard component of
                  XP and is not in Win2k, so that may be the issue... there is a technote
                  about it on microsoft.com. Here is where you can download it from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=6A63AB9C-DF12-4D41-933C-BE590FEAA 05A&displaylang=en

Anyway, back to the Mac issues.

Try making a new test projector that is even simpler than the one you
                  are using. Make one that uses NO external xtras, therefore you will not
                  need the xtras folder. It is possible that the Mac version of the
                  projector is not getting the xtras it needs (if you are not supplying
                  them in the xtras folder or built into the projector). You can add the
                  xtra into the projector in Modify, Movie, Xtras.

In my case, I made a simple movie with a single 'go to the frame' script
                  and a button that when pushed threw up an alert box. Real simple.
                  Save, Publish, Burn. Does that work? It does for me. If it does for
                  you, then the next step will be to see what it is about your more
                  complex test movie that is killing it. If it still does not work, then
                  it may be related to your burning software and/or settings thereof.
                  • 6. Cross Platform CD buring...
                    Mike - you've been a great help. I'm going to try all this again in a short while.... fingers crossed it'll be OK.

Many thanks.
                    • 7. Re: Cross Platform CD buring...
                      OK - the projector now works on the MAC. Brilliant! I tried it on abother machine and it opens fine so must have been a bad Mac!

Problem now is, I have used BuddyAPI to open PDFs and when I click the link on the mac, absolutely nothing happens at all.

COuld it be the the Xtra is in the worng folder?

DO I have to group all the extras togethre or include a Mac folder?

Mmmmm.... any ideas?
                      • 8. Re: Cross Platform CD buring...
                        Level 7
                        In the docs that come with Buddy, there are instructions for how to
                        package the xtra for x-plat use. You will need to downlopad the Mac
                        version from the site and put those files into your "configuration\cross
                        platform resources" folder. Then you need to edit your xtrainfo.txt
                        file. Then re-open your dir file and republish.

Or, put the Mac xtras into an external xtras folder (If you take this
                        approach, you have to do it on a Mac and burn it on a Mac or it won;t work).
                        • 9. Re: Cross Platform CD buring...
                          Cheers Mike. All the BuddyAPI stuff works fine now.

The only snag I'm still getting is a puzzler...

The projector for the MAC opens fine when I stick the files on a USB stick. All works like clockwork. But when I burn the exact same files to CD or Data DVD, the projector just won;t open. Instead, I get an error message pop up:

APPLICATION ERROR
                          THIS APPLICATION REQUIRES SHOCKWAVE PLAYE 11, WHICH CAN NOT BE FOUND. CLICK OK TO DOWNLOAD IT.

Very strange as the USB files open fine????
                          • 10. Re: Cross Platform CD buring...
                            Cheers Mike. All the BuddyAPI stuff works fine now.

The only snag I'm still getting is a puzzler...

The projector for the MAC opens fine when I stick the files on a USB stick. All works like clockwork. But when I burn the exact same files to CD or Data DVD, the projector just won;t open. Instead, I get an error message pop up:

APPLICATION ERROR
                            THIS APPLICATION REQUIRES SHOCKWAVE PLAYER 11, WHICH CAN NOT BE FOUND. CLICK OK TO DOWNLOAD IT.

Very strange as the USB files open fine????
                            • 11. Re: Cross Platform CD buring...
                              Level 7
                              Weird. As a troubleshooting step, see if it makes a difference if the
                              files on your USB stick are ReadOnly. Set them to be read only and try
                              again. If they still work, then that is not the issue. If they come up
                              with the same error, then we are a step closer to figuring out what the
                              problem is.

It may be related to the CD burning program you are using and the
                              settings in there. They may be messing up some of the filenames or
                              resources. What program are you using?
                              • 12. Re: Cross Platform CD buring...
                                If the files on the USB are read only, it still runs fine.

I'm using Nero, but Nero, which should be fine really. I've just tried with another programme (FinalBurner) and the problem is still there. Very strange as I wouldn't expect info on a CD to be read any differently to a USB stick.
                                • 13. Re: Cross Platform CD buring...
                                  Level 7
                                  This shouldn't matter, but it is worth checking. In your Publish
                                  Settings, on the Projector tab, what is the Player Type set to? If it
                                  is Shockwave, then try changing it to Standard. If it is already
                                  Standard, well, then we need to look at something else.
                                  • 14. Re: Cross Platform CD buring...
                                    It is indeed set to 'Standard' so no joy there really. I found a few other threads on this issue and have pretty much exhausted all possibilities! I've asked Adobe for some help directly as this is, as far as I can see, a bit if an issue!
                                    • 15. Re: Cross Platform CD buring...
                                      kin_hen
                                      I'm experiencing the same problem, was a solution to this ever found?
                                      "APPLICATION ERROR
                                      THIS APPLICATION REQUIRES SHOCKWAVE PLAYER 11, WHICH CAN NOT BE FOUND. CLICK OK TO DOWNLOAD IT."
                                      • 16. Re: Cross Platform CD buring...
                                        Level 7
                                        > "APPLICATION ERROR
                                        > THIS APPLICATION REQUIRES SHOCKWAVE PLAYER 11, WHICH CAN NOT BE FOUND. CLICK OK TO DOWNLOAD IT."

This suggests you created a Shockwave projector and didn't include a
                                        required library or xtra. Which platform did you publish from and to?