• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe CC 2018 Update and Wacom Tablets

Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen a lot of posts here about issues with the CC 2018 update for Photoshop and using a Wacom Drawing Tablet, but none have actually answered the question.

When I run ANY of the CC 2018 programs and attempt to set specific functions for the express keys on my Wacom Intuos Pro Medium tablet, none of the functions set are working. Instead, the keys work as they are set in the "All Other" category, AKA the key functions set for normal use and not for a specific program. When I instead run CC 2017 of any program, especially Photoshop CC 2017 and InDesign CC 2017, and set express key functions for those programs, they work like a charm. No post that I have read has connected the fact that it is not just Photoshop or Illustrator, but all of the CC 2018 updated programs. I have also read every suggestion and tried all the potential solutions people have made, but none of them are working. The only thing working is reverting to 2017. This tells me that it is an issue with the entire CC 2018 update, something that Adobe should address.

This is the only way I can really seem to get any help from Adobe, so can someone let them know this is an issue? Someone who is actually an employee at Adobe and can get the information to the software troubleshooters and developers? (Sorry to be blunt, but this seems to be an issue that needs to get to the actual developers 😕 )

Thanks for any potential help. I will update with anything that works (or doesn't).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

robertm30343553  wrote

I have the same tablet and am currently rolling back to the last version of Photoshop as pressure sensitivity does not work in CC2018.

Hopefully this gets resolved.

If you are a Windows user then you might be using the WinTab API.  Open Wacom Tablet Properties and click on the Mapping tab.  If Windows Ink is not checked, then you might need to copy the WinTab text file to the CC 2018 folder.

Go to (you might need to click on the View tab in File Explorer, and check Hidden fi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still an issue, and I have yet to see any response from anyone about a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to use another program and you will see everithing work beautifully, perfect and smootly... and you will be happy without this never ending problem... it seems they dont know how to make things work with tablets... Windows+Adobe+Wacom... They never will work fine. Never does...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same tablet and am currently rolling back to the last version of Photoshop as pressure sensitivity does not work in CC2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

robertm30343553  wrote

If you are a Windows user then you might be using the WinTab API.  Open Wacom Tablet Properties and click on the Mapping tab.  If Windows Ink is not checked, then you might need to copy the WinTab text file to the CC 2018 folder.

Go to (you might need to click on the View tab in File Explorer, and check Hidden files to make them viewable.  Then go to

C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017 Settings\

And copy PSUserConfig and paste itinto the CC 2018 folder.

The contents of the PSUserConfig.txt file are

# Use WinTab

UseSystemStylus 0

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I had already rolled back the drivers on my tablet and reverted back to the last version of Photoshop before I had caught your response. But, it was as you mentioned, Windows Ink and the Config file. I reinstalled the latest version of PS as well as my Wacom drivers. All is working good now!!!

Thanks for the response,

RM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Wacom Tablet Properties know the location of CC2018, or is it still looking at the CC2017 folder.  One way to fix a file location issue is to reinstall the app with the issue, so if you are not already using 6.3.25-5 then update to that version.  If you are then uninstall and reinstall it.

This is by no means a sure fix, but if it was me, I would be trying it.  I just happened to update my Wacom driver yesterday, so I'll see if I can test for your issue and get back to you.

[EDIT] OK, I have had a play with my set up.  I usually leave those keys at their default settings and don't add other apps (because I use the G-keys on my G910 keyboard), so I am wondering if the Tablet Properties is supposed to auto detect what app is running?  I am having to manually select the other apps I added to test.

So I have added custom Express key functions for CC 2018 and SketchUp.  As you can see I have set a key to Undo and it shows as such in the Tablet properties, but it still shows Shift on my Intuos 4.

I have set the same key to the letter 'm' for Sketchup, (move tool) and it shows as such on the tablet, and works as such when used in SketchUp.

Photoshop is showing the new Express key designations in Tablet properties, but not on the tablet, and ignoring them. As you say, it always performs the All Other key designations, so I definitely seem to be able to duplicate the issue.

Windows 10 Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have looked for the PSUserConfig file, and it isn't showing up anywhere. But here is where it gets weird. If I have both Photoshop CC 2017 AND 2018 installed, and have settings in my Wacom Properties for Photoshop CC 2017, the settings then work in Photoshop CC 2018. If I have settings for 2018, they don't work. I also opened CC 2017, and the 2017 settings show up. So in order to use 2018 with my wacom settings, I have to have both 2017 and 2018, and have the wacom settings for 2017 set up. Then they will work in 2018.

I have updated Photoshop to 19.1, and my Wacom is on driver 6.3.27-2.

So I guess I got it working.. ish...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2017 Dec 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I had this issue while I were trialing PS CC 2017~2018 and finally found the cause.

The issue is caused by duplicated profiles of the same application name with different path in this wacom xml file:

C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\WTablet\Wacom_Tablet.dat

This issue only happens on this scenario:

1.You have one application installed and works well in Wacom Properties and setting specific functions for it.

2.The application have a big update and whatever the reason, it changed the install Path in PC, for example:

From

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017\Photoshop.exe

To

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018\Photoshop.exe

3.You found that in Wacom Properties the application's ICON gone, at this time , it still works(even you remove old app), but does not have the current ICON for the application, instead it use the ICON that 'All Other' has.

4.So you set it again, but it did not replace old ICON and not work at all on new ICON(profile), so you decided to delete the old ICON.

Then you lost the control of the application forever in Wacom Properties on new updated application.

This is a temporarily solution that user end can do(works till it changed the install path again or wacom fix it.) , just follow the steps:

Before doing this, please close all applications at first.

1.Go to Services(win+r and run services.msc) and stop 'Wacom Professional Service' service.

2.Use Notepad++ or similar app to open the file(do not use notepad.exe comes with windows)

'C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\WTablet\Wacom_Tablet.dat'

3.You should then find this or similar thing, duplicated profiles of the same application name 'Photoshop' in the file:

GOHEifO.jpg

Maybe it should not be called duplicated because of they have different AppID number, but by unknown reason , Wacom driver only use first old PS CC 2017 profile, ignore the second PS CC 2018 profile.

4. Now the thing is simple, delete the 'New' profile, this is a XML file so just delete it from '[AppIDX]~[/AppIDX]', on my case, I have to delete AppID7 section, X is the number which wacom driver assign it to application. So all PC has different number, you have to find it yourself.

5.Edit the path to match the new PS CC 2018's in first section and save the file.

xLstjEs.jpg

If you want, you can just delete old first one, so no need to edit anything others.

But in case something goes wrong, I suggest keeps AppID has it's order form 1~X. Since this is an user end modification, no one knows what actually wacom driver works.

6.Restart 'Wacom Professional Service' service , it should now works with new updated application.

This issue is a Wacom driver issue so it will also happened on any similar scenario with other softwares, for example CLIP Studio Paint, which it changed install path at new 1.6.7 of internal language version.

You can refer to this post:

Cintiq Express keys don't work on CSP! - CLIP STUDIO ASK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2017 Dec 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hakokoto  wrote

Hi

I had this issue while I were trialing PS CC 2017~2018 and finally found the cause.

[BIG Snip]

That's a great find hakokoto, and I applaud you for tracking it down, but by heck, it's a big ask to expect users to dig that deep to fix their tablet driver problems.  I mean is it bad coding on Wacom's part — definitely not my area of expertise, so I don't want to jump to erroneous conclusions, but folk are having problems since the CC2018 was released.

For me, I just deleted Photoshop form Wacom Preferences, and added it again.  CC2018 was there as an option, so Wacom Preferences _was_ aware of it.  It just wasn't using it.  I had to redo my custom settings as well, so it was like starting from scratch.

I guess none of us are going to fall over backwards after discovering another flaky Wacom driver, but it could be so much worse — we could be talking about one those Chinese tablets.  We can pretty much always get things working eventually with Wacom drivers, and that is _so_ not the case with your Huion, Ugee, Genius, Monoprice etc.  You are lucky to get anyone to even respond to a thread that mentions one, because the forum regulars know it's not going to have a happy ending.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hakokoto -

Thank you very much! This fixed the problems I was having with my Intuos Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a whole lot!
Finally got it working again! Works for PS 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 26, 2017 Dec 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out the link may be it will helpful for you>> Wacom Intuos5 express keys not working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Run Photoshop CC 2018

Run Wacom Tablet Properties

On the line "Tool" select "Functions"

Select "Express Keys"

On the line "Application" click on the symbol + on the right to add a new application ; don't use the list of applications (don't click on the name Photoshop you find in it)! but search on your computer the new Photoshop.exe in Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 and click Open.

Don't delete the old icon which refer to Photosho 2017 (or another) : it must absolutly stay.

You must do the same for every new application of Adobe CC 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this same issue after upgrading to CC 2018 yesterday and was able to resolve it after chatting with Adobe Support. They had me uninstall my wacom driver (Applications > Wacom Tablet > Wacom Tablet Utility > Remove user preferences > Uninstall Tablet Software) and install a previous version (MacOSX - Driver 6.3.25-2) which fixed my issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to fix this with a combo of multiple fixes above. (Cintiq 27QHD)

1: Go into the Wacom Desktop Center

2. Click Backup Settings

3. Click Reset Settings to Reset your tablet settings to a factory default. This should get rid of all the application icons you have in Wacom Tablet Properties.

4. Now go into Wacom Tablet Properties

5. In my case I go into the EK Remote settings. (For a tablet you may have to go to Tool>Functions>Express Keys

6  (from another response) On the line "Application" click on the symbol + on the right to add a new application ; don't use the list of applications (don't click on the name Photoshop you find in it)! but search on your computer the new Photoshop.exe in Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 and click Open.

That did it for me! Just resetting the settings and adding the applications over again. Thanks everybody for all the input!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2018 Jun 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much.  This was driving me insane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstall photoshop, cancel  subscription, and start using other programs such corel painter or Manga Studio.... Adobe and Wacom may never work toghether on windows. I lost my money, my time and get tired of this problems... In corel Painter the tablet works wonderfully well... the same in Manga studio! Its time to me to say goodbye Adobe photoshop and wacom.... so sad...  but they never will solve this problem. so sad... for me its over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SimbasMommy,

Seeing nothing here have gave you a solution here yet, I shall share with the community how I solved the issue with my intous 5 with adobe photoshop CC on Windows 10.

SOLUTION

1. Update your wacom drivers to the latest driver Drivers | Wacom

2. Check Windows Ink under Mapping on your tablet properties

2-5-2018 4-30-00 PM.png

3. At this point, the wacom should be working and may be a little buggy because Windows Ink.

Windows ink bugs:

1. How to remove the cursor ripples (which seems to be stuck even though it is disabled)
How to get rid of those annoying circles from your wacom cursor in Windows 7 - VolnaPC​

• Go to start menu and type Pen & Windows Ink or Pen and Touch (Windows 7 and 10)
  • Scrolldown and choose nothing and off the override.

2-5-2018 4-50-14 PM.png

• (If it still doesn't work) Go to start menu type gpedit.msc and press enter
  • Click through User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Tablet PC > Cursors
  • Double click to open the properties and turn off pen feedback. Select Enabled to enable the filter that turns off the rippled circle

2. How to remove pen behavior when it scrolls/pans your canvas

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windowsink/comments/8508fi/controlling_pen_behavior_in_windows_10/

• Go to start menu and run command prompt and run as administrator.
  • Paste this reg add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pen /v LegacyPenInteractionModel /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f and enter.
  • Restart your computer

Thank you internet.

From,

A Fellow Victim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2018 Jun 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it to work with: Mac OS 10.13.5, Photoshop CC 2018, Lightroom CC and Intuos 4 tablet

I encountered this problem today after dusting off my Intuos 4 for some work.

My old driver wasn't working with CC 2018. I installed the latest Wacom Driver 6.3.29-6.dmg and still not working.

Problem resolved using a combination of the steps mentioned by blkandwht and Screambox.​

From blkandwht: I just had this same issue after upgrading to CC 2018 yesterday and was able to resolve it after chatting with Adobe Support. They had me uninstall my wacom driver (Applications > Wacom Tablet > Wacom Tablet Utility > Remove user preferences > Uninstall Tablet Software) and install a previous version (MacOSX - Driver 6.3.25-2) which fixed my issues.

Then I used step 6 from Screambox's post:

6  (from another response) On the line "Application" click on the symbol + on the right to add a new application; don't use the list of applications (don't click on the name Photoshop you find in it)! but search on your computer the new Photoshop.exe in Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 and click Open.

​Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines